Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pearvsapple

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2012
Looks ugly. iPhone 5 rear looks 2x better. Ive going out of control starting with the Trashcan Pro...

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Is that why I see many people walking around with no case and shattered screens?

Did you even read my post?

I use a thin case myself, I said that in my post.

Shattered screens are from drops. People use screen protectors for scratches, which is pretty hard to do.

I only use a case to keep my screen from shattering. However, notice that when you see a screen glass that may be shattered, but the phone itself still works perfectly, correct?

My phone is in perfect condition with only a thin case, no screen protector. Just like I said in my original post(which you obviously didn't read, or at least didn't read correctly), huge bulky Otterboxes and screen protectors are pointless.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Eh, my screens didn't get scratches when I had a screen protector, without them I have tiny scratches.

Pics? And what's your usage? You could work at a machine shop and place your phone on sand paper everyday for all we know. My screen is still perfect(dirty, but perfect) with it being thrown into backpacks, thrown into my pocket with keys, and being dropped several times on concrete and asphalt with only my thin case after about 4 months without a screen protector.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
And every single one of you will be getting one the moment you can. And I'll bet none of you gripe about the antenna breaks, either. In fact, I'd be willing to bet you all talk about how beautiful it actually is in person and the pictures didn't do it justice.

Happens every...freaking...time a new design for the iPhone comes out. Like clockwork.

I'll get one yes. I will comment that I like the design, because I do, but I;m still going to complain about the lines :)

----------

I still wish this was the final result...

But that would just be an iPhone 5S air ;)

cagcody

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012
It would be nice if they used the back Apple logo as a light, but used it for notifications. If the phone was laying face down and you got a text or something, it could light up a certain color. Definitely nice if you have your phone on silent with the vibrate off. Just my opinion though.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Pics? And what's your usage? You could work at a machine shop and place your phone on sand paper everyday for all we know. My screen is still perfect(dirty, but perfect) with it being thrown into backpacks, thrown into my pocket with keys, and being dropped several times on concrete and asphalt with only my thin case after about 4 months without a screen protector.

I'm at work so the only camera I have is my phone itself, sadly :p

I don't work in a machine shop, I'm in an office and my phone just goes in my pocket or sometimes in my purse. I think the scratches on my screen, while tiny, have either come from grit or from keys. They're not huge, I can live with them, but I notice them occasionally when the screen is off.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
With the video posted the other day showing just how incredibly durable the sapphire laminate screen is why not go back to the iPhone 4/4s design and use it front and back? No scratches. No antenna lines.

Most likely because at current, it would be too costly, since sapphire is still new and costs more than aluminum.

mr99

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2014
It would be nice if they used the back Apple logo as a light, but used it for notifications. If the phone was laying face down and you got a text or something, it could light up a certain color. Definitely nice if you have your phone on silent with the vibrate off. Just my opinion though.

I agree but for whatever reason, i'm not sure they'll do this any time soon or ever. I'd like to know why from Apple though.

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
The band separator lines are big! Nooooooooooooooo

Knowing Apple tendency for perfection, you won't see those lines in final product. FYI, those are antenna lines which you will be gladly having them instead of another so called myth 'antennagate'. If you noticed, current iPhone also has those lines but painted white.

flashhole.jpg

Oh wait...

...a Moscow-based company selling modified luxury versions of the iPhone.

That makes sense.

Last edited:

Wishbrah

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2013
Knowing Apple tendency for perfection, you won't see those lines in final product. FYI, those are antenna lines which you will be gladly having them instead of another so called myth 'antennagate'. If you noticed, current iPhone also has those lines but painted white.

True. Who's to say the metal inside of the bands isn't currently a placeholder for glass? Sapphire or otherwise. I doubt they would waste sapphire until it's perfect, and I doubt the glass would be placed on an unfinished backing, which is what this is.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
Most likely because at current, it would be too costly, since sapphire is still new and costs more than aluminum.

Yes, and also, since the iPhone 4, Apple has gained the reputation of putting glass on the back solely to make iPhones easier to break (which is not true of course).

And sapphire wouldn't prevent the back pieces from shattering. It would help by preventing scratches (which make the parts more prone to shattering) but in the minds of many it would still look overly fragile.

I think Apple is moving away from those "unessential" glass/glassy parts in part for this reason. The iPhone 6 looks very sturdy and will be probably be advertised as such so they can shake away that stigma of "iPhones are too fragile".

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
Now make 3,7" version in this ultra thin case and we are sold.

Why no one is getting the "Go Small Thing" is stunning. It would be a brilliant move to NOT follow a silly trend and give us something that bucks the system of holding an iPad mini to our face (which is a really big joke coming true)

OK, release the 4.7 & the 5dot whatever. Release the tiny one and see what happens. Think people with average to small hands will flock to it? Think every female in the world wouldn't want it?

Oh Darn! I just forgot> The Telephone is a thing of the past! Text, which needs a big screen so you can see WTF you're typing. Oh yeah, darn......

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
True. Who's to say the metal inside of the bands isn't currently a placeholder for glass? Sapphire or otherwise. I doubt they would waste sapphire until it's perfect, and I doubt the glass would be placed on an unfinished backing, which is what this is.

There's a lot of evidence that the metal parts inside the bands are an integral part of the back shell. They can't just be switched to glass/sapphire parts.

iphone-6-body-UiP-02-630x416.jpg

Zinthar

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
Why no one is getting the "Go Small Thing" is stunning. It would be a brilliant move to NOT follow a silly trend and give us something that bucks the system of holding an iPad mini to our face (which is a really big joke coming true)

OK, release the 4.7 & the 5dot whatever. Release the tiny one and see what happens. Think people with average to small hands will flock to it? Think every female in the world wouldn't want it?

Oh Darn! I just forgot> The Telephone is a thing of the past! Text, which needs a big screen so you can see WTF you're typing. Oh yeah, darn......

I don't think Apple is planning on abandoning the 4.0" size. Even if the 5S doesn't get a hardware update, it'll probably get updated sooner or later.

Going to a size smaller than 4.0" presents a problem if they want to stick with the 16:9 screen ratio of the 5/5C/5S and 4.7" iPhone 6 because then the phone will have to be narrowed to a smaller size than all past iPhones. With the diminutive size and weight of the iPhone 5 series, it's hard to argue that they're too big. I often have to tap the outside of my pants pocket to make sure the phone is still there, even with boot cut jeans.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
Yes, and also, since the iPhone 4, Apple has gained the reputation of putting glass on the back solely to make iPhones easier to break (which is not true of course).

And sapphire wouldn't prevent the back pieces from shattering. It would help by preventing scratches (which make the parts more prone to shattering) but in the minds of many it would still look overly fragile.

I think Apple is moving away from those "unessential" glass/glassy parts in part for this reason. The iPhone 6 looks very sturdy and will be probably be advertised as such so they can shake away that stigma of "iPhones are too fragile".

I agree. Glass is nice but not all that durable, and metal is a little less prone to breaking and can stand up better to drops

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Wow, that scratches well!

----------

Get saving, if you look at the 5s custom iphone w/wood back (and other details) its $5,500!!

monkor

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012

I'm a journalist, and my usage varies but I am typically on my phone a lot at events and use it for quite a few interviews in a pinch or typing out articles on the train. Occasionally (once every few months) my phone will go through something terribly unfortunate (skiff capsized, my friend peed on it drunk, dropped it on the ground getting out of the car, it slipped out of my hands when someone didn't hold a door) that causes me to have a scratch on my screen or a scuff on my phone. I don't want that anymore, and I'd love for a phone company to acquiesce those requests.

Almost all of those could have been prevented and the damaged minimized with a waterproof phone or a screen protector and case. Or a more durable phone.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I still think there is a chance Apple did incorporate NFC into the iPhone 6 models for these reasons:

1. Japanese and South Korean cellphone companies wanted this feature so the iPhone 6 can be used with the various NFC mobile payment systems such as SK Planet's Smart Wallet and Seven & I's Nanaco.

2. There are presistent rumors that Apple has signed up China UnionPay for NFC mobile payments in China.

3. Apple is quietly working with the people who developed the ISIS mobile payment system (which will soon be renamed) here in the USA for a faster rollout of this mobile payment system.

I think Apple is finding out that Bluetooth 4.0 for mobile payment systems may not be safe, since Bluetooth 4.0 has a range as much as 10 meters, while NFC only has a range of a few centimeters. As such, that unusual cutout on the back plate of the iPhone 6 models could be to allow an NFC radio/antenna subsystem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.