Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
There's a big difference between 300 and 360ppi. Beyond 400ppi no one can tell the difference in ppi level. And it's not like someone is forcing you to buy the next iphone. Go buy Samsung and be part of them. :rolleyes:

Everyone has different eyes, just because you cannot doesn't mean someone cannot. This is just like the 30 FPS claim.

Exactly. Android needs twice the horse power of iphone to not lag.

The Verge and the Moto E disagree with you.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/22/5737290/motorola-moto-e-review

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Everyone has different eyes, just because you cannot doesn't mean someone cannot. This is just like the 30 FPS claim.

You're right.
But I think it's time to make this issue clearer since we seem to talk about different things ("we" here doesn't mean you: TheHateMachine. I mean people here in the thread, especially the ones I had discussion with. Since strangely the last one didn't even reply my last question I think now is a good time to make this topic a bit clearer.)

First, 300 is a not a magic number SJ pulled out of thin air. It's from a rule of thumb from printing industry.
Second, this rule of thumb, in broad term, said that you shouldn't be able to see a dot (pixel) at a normal reading distance (roughly not closer to your face than a foot).
Third, this is just a basic rule of thumb, which means it won't apply to some people (Some have better eyesight. Some have worse)
Fourth. And it means for someone with normal eyesight, if you normally use your mobile phone closer to your eyes than a foot then yes, you should be able to see pixels on an iPhone (from 4 up).
However, you'll lose your eyesight quicker.
Fifth. The rule of thumb is for reading a book (speaking in broadly term) so if you crank your phone brightness way up then you most likely be able to see pixels on an iPhone, even at a normal viewing distance.
But again, you'll lose your eyesight quicker.

Basically, the rule of thumb is for comfortable reading (viewing).

See. When discussed something, we can't just copied & pasted from sources without basic understanding about the topic. It's true that science is a matter of fact but we need to understand to use the fact, since facts can be twisted in whichever ways we want to look at.

Last edited:

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
I honestly think a full 3x resolution would be a waste of RAM and disk space. I certainly don't go around thinking, "man, I wish this one was a 1080p or 960p display, it's kind of blurry". But sure, it's not that I would complain if Apple would provide 3x resolution and it not affecting performance whatsoever. I don't see how a CPU bump alone would do the trick though. Pushing around 50% larger graphics all over the place tend to depend on more things than that.
That's because none of them are blurry, but imagine going back to the days of the 3GS. Retina is nice on the eyes.

The size of the graphics won't impact performance much at all, it's the resolution that will, and the iPad Air (which has the exact same GPU and almost the same CPU) runs 2048x1536 just fine.
In that scenario, both iPhone 6 models would have pixel densities of 355-360 pixels per inch...Meanwhile the Note 4's panel will sport a 515ppi:eek:I dont about u but I can actual tell a 300ppi vs a 450+ppi panel
Such a high PPI comes at a great cost -- a substantial increase in power consumption from the display backlight, and a lot more work for the GPU.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
Haha, well, I guess it doesn't bother me too much. Only- super crisp text! :rolleyes:

Iphone 5 res is enough ( for 4" anyway) I cannot get close enough to see pixels in anyway. 4.7+ will need more of course... but this whole 4K phone screen thing is utterly utterly pointless. But hope they keep upping the res of screens for VR use :) 6K+ in a 6" screen would be perfect for an Oculus Rift.

Milese3

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2014
Southampton - United Kingdom
Iphone 5 res is enough ( for 4" anyway) I cannot get close enough to see pixels in anyway. 4.7+ will need more of course... but this whole 4K phone screen thing is utterly utterly pointless. But hope they keep upping the res of screens for VR use :) 6K+ in a 6" screen would be perfect for an Oculus Rift.

Haha, no, sorry! I didn't mean 4K or even 2K, 1080p would be nice for a 5.5" iPhone. ;)

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Come on now, let's be totally honest here, Specs DO MATTER When Apple has the better specs.

All we every hear about when Apple has better spec on something, like the 1st retina display, was people here shouting about specs specs specs.

That's what happens on these forums and we all know it. :)

It's also funny that no one here talks about all the fragmentation this will cause between various iOS devices. It seems Android has settled on two resolutions for phones and tablets. Apple now has 5?

----------

This is actually brilliant. Let the competition waste CPU and GPU cycles on 2K and 4K displays on 5" devices that show no more detail than a display like this. Let their OS and hardware try to keep up with that many pixels to no real advantage.

That allows iOS to appear snappier, faster, more responsive because the system has less USELESS pixels to drive.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. Maybe Apple should use XGA to be even snappier!

Hardware and GPUs will always keep getting better and will scale up as needed.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
The g3 has a 3000 mah battery lol. If the iPhone had that it'd last for a week.

I get what you're saying but the g3 battery size doesn't mean the screen isn't a battery drain.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
The g3 has a 3000 mah battery lol. If the iPhone had that it'd last for a week.

I get what you're saying but the g3 battery size doesn't mean the screen isn't a battery drain.

So it would move from barely a day at best to a week though the method of doubling the battery size? They must have some magical engineers.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
So it would move from barely a day at best to a week though the method of doubling the battery size? They must have some magical engineers.

it was hyperbole. Depends on usage. I can make my lgs battery drain in four hrs. I can also make it last almost two full days.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
it was hyperbole. Depends on usage. I can make my lgs battery drain in four hrs. I can also make it last almost two full days.

And I can technically drain my 2012 MBA in 2 hours (down from 3-3.5 when it was new). We'll see what the battery life of the next iPhone is if they bump up the screen drain via a bigger screen with a higher resolution. I doubt it's going to be a magical bump.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
And I can technically drain my 2012 MBA in 2 hours (down from 3-3.5 when it was new). We'll see what the battery life of the next iPhone is if they bump up the screen drain via a bigger screen with a higher resolution. I doubt it's going to be a magical bump.

That's the point. The op was acting as if lg did something magical. They didn't. It lasts long cuz the battery is bigger. When/if the iPhone gets a bigger battery which it has needed forever, it will last just as long.

The screen is the biggest battery drainer on my g3, and if I actually use my phone with screen on heavily it'll be dead by noon.

On average I'm getting around 14hrs, with 2 hrs screen on time. I can't see an iPhone with the same or similar sized battery lasting less than that.

Moto G

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2014
Every hour is "expert's hour" @ macrumors towers. How I laugh...

fight4.jpg

stock-photo-young-handsome-caucasian-man-on-sofa-listening-music-at-headphones-and-eating-popcorn-studio-shot-70341541.jpg

----------

Hmm. I was hoping to see a resolution higher than that- I guess time will tell. I thought it'd make more sense to go with a x3 resolution.

412780_g1.jpg

CommentPhotos.com_1391958779.jpg

slayerz96

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
Singapore
A bump in resolution will definitely consume more battery juice, without a doubt. Battery life isn't exactly my primary concern, but rather how developers are going to update their apps.

Additional battery consumption due to an increase in pixels will probably be negated (or partially reduced) by the advancements in the chipset.

The iPhone hasn't got the most stellar battery life, in fact it is poor compared to modern android devices. However as long as it fulfils my needs, I'm good.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
I don' t get this gruber guy.
At first he is talking about 667x375 @2 for the 4.7
And then he' s talking about 736x414@3 for the 5.5.

So they are adding 2 new developers res? Next to 568x320 and 480x320?

Why wouln' t they simplify this.
For example :
4.7 is 667x375@2 =1334x750=326 ppi
5.5 is 667x375@3= 2001x1125=416 ppi

Makes more sense to me. Instead of adding 2 more dev res. Adding just one.
At that point, it's not much different from doing 736x414@2 for the 4.7 and @3 for the 5.5 -- except the PPI is a little higher and you end up with more screen real estate.

As long as they keep these resolutions for a while it doesn't really matter. It's only going to become an issue if they add a lot of these little resolution changes.

Otherwise 736x414@2x on both the 4.7 inch and 5.5 inch could be the other route they go.

There is no doubt that higher pixels = higher battery consumption. LG G3's battery life on a 2k screen is possible due to better hardware and software optimization compared to its predecessor. I believe with the iPhone 6's increased resolution, it'll be similar (but it will be way more on the software side).
Actually it's not so much about resolution as it is about pixel density. The higher the PPI, the more powerful the backlight needs to be, and it's that which'll chew up your battery faster. (Alternatively, if you don't put in a more powerful backlight the screen brightness drops substantially.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.