Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
How does the Apple TV handle 4K steaming media from a computer? My Sony stutters all the time when I play UHD content.
What and how do you stream to your sony?? It will not play direct UHD BD rips over LAN, because it has a 100Mbps network interface and that one can not handle peak bitrates of UHD bluray.
HomeSharing starts to stutter somewhere at about 50Mbps bitrate.
Infuse can go higher when reading directly from network share and network bandwidth is available. That is no streaming either.

Last edited:

BomexM3

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2014
What and how do you stream to your sony?? It will not play direct UHD BD rips over LAN, because it has a 100Mbps network interface and that one can not handle peak bitrates of UHD bluray.
HomeSharing starts to stutter somewhere at about 50Mbps bitrate.
Infuse can go higher when reading directly from network share and network bandwidth is available. That is no streaming either.
I have UHD video files on my laptop, and I share the folder. I then use VLC on my Sony TV to stream them from my laptop. They aren't direct rips they are encoded UHD x265 rips.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Alright. You are not streaming then.

2 things are better on aTV 4K than on sony bravia:
1) much more powerful cpu
2) gigabit ethernet / 802.11ac wlan

Depending on the bitrate of your movies, speed of your network connection and workload on your Mac, you may experience stuttering.
That same bravia plays back very well from USB drive, esp if connected to USB3.0 port on it.

Reactions: George Dawes

BomexM3

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2014
Alright. You are not streaming then.

2 things are better on aTV 4K than on sony bravia:
1) much more powerful cpu
2) gigabit ethernet / 802.11ac wlan

Depending on the bitrate of your movies, speed of your network connection and workload on your Mac, you may experience stuttering.
That same bravia plays back very well from USB drive, esp if connected to USB3.0 port on it.
Thanks for the help

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Thanks for the help
Glad to.
I struggled with the same at much smaller bitrates (SACD and Hi-Res PCM don’t demand more than 15Mbps).
So I built at first 2 separate networks but that created other inconveniences.
Now I’ve finally settled for managed switch that allows me to limit broadcast storms and bandwidth on individual ports.
I still keep 2 separate ethernet interfaces on my mac server.

Last edited:

Andrewtst

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2016
I have UHD video files on my laptop, and I share the folder. I then use VLC on my Sony TV to stream them from my laptop. They aren't direct rips they are encoded UHD x265 rips.
Play by TV probably can't.

I playback those UHD x265 file using Infuse client to Plex in Apple TV 4K via Wi-Fi 5Ghz setup. So far so good.

Dgame1234

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2018
I have a samsung mu6303 4k smart tv,
In terms of picture qualityand sound quality will there be a difference if i stream netflix and amazon on my built in smart tv vs the apple tv 4k...

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Wales
I have a samsung mu6303 4k smart tv,
In terms of picture qualityand sound quality will there be a difference if i stream netflix and amazon on my built in smart tv vs the apple tv 4k...

Personally I found no real difference comparing my LG TV app, ISP provided 4k box and Samsung 4k player or my Apple TV, best try it and see.

Netflix offer a month free sub I think? From memory you need to chuck in a payment method, if you decide you do not like it the remember to cancel.

Personally I find Netflix middle of the road in 4k quality and will probably downgrade to HD only or bail completely in the next few months.

Edit. I should add that that is my view only. Really is down to the viewer.

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014
Because iTunes is the only place where digital copies of our entire movie collection reside. The other services are hit and miss.

Reactions: Macalicious2011

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Personally I found no real difference comparing my LG TV app, ISP provided 4k box and Samsung 4k player or my Apple TV, best try it and see.

Netflix offer a month free sub I think? From memory you need to chuck in a payment method, if you decide you do not like it the remember to cancel.

Personally I find Netflix middle of the road in 4k quality and will probably downgrade to HD only or bail completely in the next few months.

Edit. I should add that that is my view only. Really is down to the viewer.

While I would agree about any streaming 4K service, and have my Apple TV set on 1080p for most programs, Netflix does offer HDR and DV on 1080p programs. The 4K service also adds more streams to the same account. I find the HDR worth the extra money, and I currently have a need for more than 2 simultaneous streams, so it all works out for me.if it were just 4K content, I’d definitely not pay the premium.

Because iTunes is the only place where digital copies of our entire movie collection reside. The other services are hit and miss.

Movies Anywhere allows most of your content to be available on many platforms and services. It’s true you still need Apple to access some studio’s content purchased through iTunes, and while here are other ways to access the content, the Apple TV offers many other integrated solutions with other Apple products. One thing in particular I like about the Apple TV is that iTunes movies are offered in 1080p HDR and DV, which really speeds up streaming and buffering while still providing an excellent picture. The other services don’t offer that yet.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
It'd only be a Samsung/ LG/ Sharp 4k panel at an insane markup with the Apple TV software preinstalled, nothing you couldn't achieve now given buying the set and the ATV 4k separately...

I agree that it would have an insane mark up, but it might not be a standard panel. Don't forget Apple works with their iPad and iPhone panel suppliers to tweak them. But saying that I don't see the point, choose your own telly and add an Apple TV like you say.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I agree that it would have an insane mark up, but it might not be a standard panel. Don't forget Apple works with their iPad and iPhone panel suppliers to tweak them. But saying that I don't see the point, choose your own telly and add an Apple TV like you say.
True, I understand they choose the tuning of the oled panel in the iPhone X as far as Samsung's manufacturing facilities allow them to and all the mac displays are likely custom orders with the unusual aspect, P3 colour gamut and high brightness levels - I don't see they could necessarily do better in this regard than any other TV set manufacturer is the broader point, though, given they would be using their manufacturing capacity... I'm sure they'd come up with a very high grade and sleek and stylish casing for it though, having the most beautiful products is still very much Apple's accolade by right :)

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London

You are the second person to have said that. I find it odd as 4K Netflix generally looks brilliant. Could you provide an example of 4L content of dissatisfactory quality?

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Wales
You are the second person to have said that. I find it odd as 4K Netflix generally looks brilliant. Could you provide an example of 4L content of dissatisfactory quality?
I don't consider the 4k on Netflix to be as good as other streamed 4k.

My own personal view. If you like it then fine. People need to try it and see for themselves.

Andrewtst

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2016
I don't consider the 4k on Netflix to be as good as other streamed 4k.

My own personal view. If you like it then fine. People need to try it and see for themselves.
4K in Netflix quality ok but 4K HDR in Netflix quality wise not good enough.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Wales
4K in Netflix quality ok but 4K HDR in Netflix quality wise not good enough.
In keeping with the thread title, I can set the output of the Apple TV to SDR to improve Netflix whereas my TV native app cannot. My LG suffered due to someone not doing their job at LG or Netflix. Being able to do this on the Apple TV allows me to watch some content as the native app will not show HDR correctly.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
In keeping with the thread title, I can set the output of the Apple TV to SDR to improve Netflix whereas my TV native app cannot. My LG suffered due to someone not doing their job at LG or Netflix. Being able to do this on the Apple TV allows me to watch some content as the native app will not show HDR correctly.

To that point my Sony Bravia’s built-in Amazon app turns the black letterbox bars gray when in HDR, rendering the movie unwatchable. After over a year of firmware upgrades this problem has still not been corrected.

gtg465x

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
To answer the OP... It's mostly about the Apple ecosystem for me. No smart TV OSes allow me to play my iTunes movies, browse my photos in iCloud, or mirror my iPhone or Mac screen. Also, nothing comes close to the app selection of Apple TV except Android TV, which is built in to Sony TVs, but even on my high end 2018 Sony TV, the built in processor is mediocre and can't match the speed of the Apple TV 4k. Not to mention, I prefer the interface and remote of the Apple TV 4k to the Android TV interface and Sony remote. If you're not invested in the Apple ecosystem, use Windows laptops and Android phones, and only care about a few key apps like Netflix, Hulu, and YouTube, then sure, LG's WebOS is probably great and there's no need for an Apple TV.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
It'd only be a Samsung/ LG/ Sharp 4k panel at an insane markup with the Apple TV software preinstalled, nothing you couldn't achieve now given buying the set and the ATV 4k separately...

If it were OLED it would be an LG electronics panel as only LG electronics make OLED panels. Not to be confused with LG tv who are a separate group.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
If it were OLED it would be an LG electronics panel as only LG electronics make OLED panels. Not to be confused with LG tv who are a separate group.
LG display are the biggest oled TV panel manufacturers currently and can be found across a range of other manufacturer’s products but I’m reasonably sure Samsung make their own oled TV panels as well - they might also use LG supplied panels on some of their TV models if they can’t meet demand in house - but yeah most likely LG would supply the panel if Apple were to go with oled

gtg465x

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
LG display are the biggest oled TV panel manufacturers currently and can be found across a range of other manufacturer’s products but I’m reasonably sure Samsung make their own oled TV panels as well - they might also use LG supplied panels on some of their TV models if they can’t meet demand in house - but yeah most likely LG would supply the panel if Apple were to go with oled

I don't think Samsung makes OLED TVs. They do make OLED phone, tablet, and watch displays though.

Reactions: Zxxv

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I don't think Samsung makes OLED TVs. They do make OLED phone, tablet, and watch displays though.

This is correct. Samsung don’t make tv panels. It is a different type of OLED for phones.
Tv OLED panels don’t use the same layup because mobile phone panels suffer burn in easier due to the pixel structure. If that layup was used in tv panels you’d get burn in real quick.

It’s why Samsung push qled. They opted out of OLED and are losing the war. You never see a Samsung OLED for a reason. They chose not to invest.

Nope. See reply above. Only LG make tv OLED. Every tv is an LG panel though there is talk of some Asian manufacturers jumping into the game but at this time only LG supply tv panels. Every tv is an LG electronics panel which manufactures put their own electronics into/onto.

WarHeadz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2015
Long Beach, California
Interesting thread. I use an Apple TV with my brand new 2018 Roku/insignia 4K smart tv because the Roku OS isn’t as smooth and buttery as TV OS. Actually I had been using the built in OS for months before I finally got fed up and switched to Apple TV when I realized I can use the Siri remote to turn the TV on and off so I don’t need two remotes.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.