Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackietreeh0rn

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2018
I would say privacy is the most important advantage an Apple TV offers. User tracking is widespread among all smart TVs. Then comes the UI and overall experience is much more smoother on an Apple TV. I'd also wager that the software support, updates and security patches will also be better, what with yearly updates and all. You'd also be knowing what each update fixes or brings to the table.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I’ve got an older LG 4k TV. It’s software is no longer updated. Hulu won’t even launch on it anymore. Netflix seems to get updated all the time. The video quality on 4k netflix is noticeably better on the Apple TV than using the TV’s built in app.

I’ve never been a fan of smart TVs as their software usually sucks in the first place and then soon becomes abandonware. My last TV purchase prior to this one was bought specifically because it isn’t a smart TV.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
I’ve got an older LG 4k TV. It’s software is no longer updated. Hulu won’t even launch on it anymore. Netflix seems to get updated all the time. The video quality on 4k netflix is noticeably better on the Apple TV than using the TV’s built in app.

I’ve never been a fan of smart TVs as their software usually sucks in the first place and then soon becomes abandonware. My last TV purchase prior to this one was bought specifically because it isn’t a smart TV.

I’d love a dumb tv

gtmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
I like the interface and stay away from the Samsung software. We have one for each tv some dumb some smart :). Just easier to keep the interface the same.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Comparing smart TVs with their platforms to the Apple TV is just pure crazy and highly ignorant. The Apple TV is designed from the ground up and made by a company who probably makes the world's finest software.
When you evaluate just that, it's rather silly to then think of a smart TVs platform which is just 'bunged' together.

It's a day and night comparison and in all fairness, it really shouldn't be on the table. It's very much like buying a £10 phone and claiming that there is no need or market long term for an iPhone.

R&D, components, environmental care and reliability costs money. Buy cheap and get and horrible user experience, poor security, poor performance and poor longevity.

Reactions: Project Alice

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Comparing smart TVs with their platforms to the Apple TV is just pure crazy and highly ignorant. The Apple TV is designed from the ground up and made by a company who probably makes the world's finest software.
When you evaluate just that, it's rather silly to then think of a smart TVs platform which is just 'bunged' together.

It's a day and night comparison and in all fairness, it really shouldn't be on the table. It's very much like buying a £10 phone and claiming that there is no need or market long term for an iPhone.

R&D, components, environmental care and reliability costs money. Buy cheap and get and horrible user experience, poor security, poor performance and poor longevity.
While I agree with you for certain TVs, there are others that are more future proof.

Those running Android TV, or Chromecast aren't going to be obsolted any time soon.

That being said I just went through the annoyance of obsolete smart TVs. I was traveling last month for work, and the first week the TV worked for Netflix, and then suddenly it was added to the list of unsupported TVs.

I ended up having to purchase a Chromecast ultra to continue to binge on all the shows I have been saving for a boring hotel stay.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Those running Android TV, or Chromecast aren't going to be obsolted any time soon.
I’m wondering - what makes you say that?
AFAIK, out of the 3 big manufacturers, only Sony is using Android TV and they are known to drop software support after 2 years.
Chromecast is a streaming device, so in the same league with appleTV and not the smart TVs.

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
I’m wondering - what makes you say that?
AFAIK, out of the 3 big manufacturers, only Sony is using Android TV and they are known to drop software support after 2 years.
Chromecast is a streaming device, so in the same league with appleTV and not the smart TVs.

You don’t seem to understand how either of those work. Android tv on Sony TVs is updated very regularly. My nvidia shield is always has the latest updates.

While there are still some rough edges android TV works great, and will have software support for the foreseeable future.

Chromecast is not a streaming service at all. It is a technology similar to airplay that allows you to find content on your phone, and then send a link to it to your TV to play there. I still have an original chrome cast stick from almost a decade ago that works fine.

My vizio TV is built around chromecast, so I never need to use the remote for anything. It is all run through my phone.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
You don’t seem to understand how either of those work. Android tv on Sony TVs is updated very regularly. My nvidia shield is always has the latest updates.

While there are still some rough edges android TV works great, and will have software support for the foreseeable future.

Chromecast is not a streaming service at all. It is a technology similar to airplay that allows you to find content on your phone, and then send a link to it to your TV to play there. I still have an original chrome cast stick from almost a decade ago that works fine.

My vizio TV is built around chromecast, so I never need to use the remote for anything. It is all run through my phone.

I have an Android tablet made by Sony. Even though Android gets updated quite frequently, Sony abandoned the device very quickly. I was a fairly early adopter and though I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, I think it was supported for 2 years or less.

Of course this might not apply to their TV's.. no idea. But it was the first and last time I trusted Sony with an Android purchase.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Sorry to say, being on my second Sony Android-based BRAVIA, I did not see them updates coming very regularly.

How long was the wait for Oreo? Until May 2019.
And let us see, if the earliest 2015 and 2016 models (the ATV2 MoBo) will ever get Android 9.
The 2015 ATV1 based sets did not even get Oreo

Even so, they still need to run it on old kernel: https://www.reddit.com/r/bravia/comments/a22mhi
So I continue to use it as a dumb screen and disconnected from the Internet.
Sadly same fate with all other products (I can speak for bluray player, AVR and alpha 7 mirrorless camera).
With current margins, it makes no sense to drag along old consumer products.

As a matter of fact, Apple is doing best in this regard - 5 years of software support after end of production.
Then again, they do not suffer from low profit margins.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.