Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Apple doesn't really follow historical models anymore - also historically Apple didn't sell iOS devices with last years processor (EG the Touch 5 and Mini 1).

If the iPod Touch 5th gen gets it, then the 4S will be able to run it. Also the Mini 1 is also still for sale and in widespread use, and it is identical to the iPad 2(in performance related specs).

True. If the iPad 2 and 4s do get iOS 9, it's really only by grace of the iPad mini, which Apple probably feels obligated to continue supporting since it's still fairly new.

I sometimes wonder if Apple did the right thing in releasing all these low-spec variants. Sure, they help cover more price points, but in the long run, it seems to screw up with Apple's software update plans.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
True. If the iPad 2 and 4s do get iOS 9, it's really only by grace of the iPad mini, which Apple probably feels obligated to continue supporting since it's still fairly new.

I sometimes wonder if Apple did the right thing in releasing all these low-spec variants. Sure, they help cover more price points, but in the long run, it seems to screw up with Apple's software update plans.

And the iPod Touch 5!!!

The majority of iPads are still A5, and there are a number of reasons for that.

I think Apple is better off for it, because they need something to ground the system requirements :)

deluxeshredder

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
I doubt it honestly. With currently 4 different iPhone resolutions and 4 different iPad resolutions I expect that Apple is going to want to simplify things by getting rid of non-retina iPads and the 3.5" iPhones.
Android works with countless device sizes, screen resolutions and several DPI settings, and still has a nicer and more polished UI.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Android works with countless device sizes, screen resolutions and several DPI settings, and still has a nicer and more polished UI.

It also runs on 512MB devices. I've seen Lollipop on the Galaxy GSII which predates the 4S, and while it is not officially supported of course, it runs reasonably well. The point is that if lollipop can run on old devices even with a brand new interface, iOS 9 should be able to run on A5 devices.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It also runs on 512MB devices. I've seen Lollipop on the Galaxy GSII which predates the 4S, and while it is not officially supported of course, it runs reasonably well. The point is that if lollipop can run on old devices even with a brand new interface, iOS 9 should be able to run on A5 devices.

Not sure how one relates to the other as different approaches are taken for them.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Apple drops support for the oldest iPhone every year and there's no reason to believe this year will be any different. The first generation iPad Mini and the fifth generation iPod Touch will probably still receive iOS 9 because Apple stills sells them.

iPhone20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2014
Apple drops support for the oldest iPhone every year and there's no reason to believe this year will be any different. The first generation iPad Mini and the fifth generation iPod Touch will probably still receive iOS 9 because Apple stills sells them.

If iPad Mini and iPod Touch are getting iOS 9 then there's no reason to end support for 4S. It's as simple as that. :)

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
If iPad Mini and iPod Touch are getting iOS 9 then there's no reason to end support for 4S. It's as simple as that. :)

I believe the very first iPhone and iPhone 3G have the same hardware and the first iPhone didn't get iOS 4 whereas iPhone 3G got it. Everything is possible with Apple.

iPhone20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2014
I believe the very first iPhone and iPhone 3G have the same hardware and the first iPhone didn't get iOS 4 whereas iPhone 3G got it. Everything is possible with Apple.

Really? I didn't know that. Then maybe it's possible Apple will drop support but is it's all about bug fixing and optimization then maybe we will see the 4S support too. 70 days to go for WWDC. :p:cool::apple:

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK
4S will Support iOS 9

And that was the time when you have to pay to get the latest iOS on the iPod Touch. That was the time when Apple's support on the devices were crap. That was the time Tim Cook wasn't in charge. Times have changed. Apple's strategies since then has changed.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013

They didn't drop an iPhone in 2012 with iOS 6.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia

That doesn't matter what Apple have done in the past, but iOS 5 and iOS 6 did not drop a version of iPhone.

The iPod Touch 5 is the same as the 4S in different casing. In fact the 4S is pushing slightly less pixels so should thus be faster. If the Touch 5 gets it the 4S should.

----------

That was a very different era. Truth be told the 3G should never have gotten iOS 4 (Only got it because it was still for sale) And before people say that iOS 8 not he 4S was like iOS 4 on the 3G, it was nothing like that.

iOS 9 is meant to improve performance so there is every reason it should and could support the 4S.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That doesn't matter what Apple have done in the past, but iOS 5 and iOS 6 did not drop a version of iPhone.

The iPod Touch 5 is the same as the 4S in different casing. In fact the 4S is pushing slightly less pixels so should thus be faster. If the Touch 5 gets it the 4S should.

----------

That was a very different era. Truth be told the 3G should never have gotten iOS 4 (Only got it because it was still for sale) And before people say that iOS 8 not he 4S was like iOS 4 on the 3G, it was nothing like that.

iOS 9 is meant to improve performance so there is every reason it should and could support the 4S.
Well, if past isn't much of an indicator and doesn't matter much, then Apple can really do anything they want, which means there isn't really anything to indicate it one way or another until Apple itself does.

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
It's not just a matter or speed, it's a matter of knowing when to let something go. iOS 6 with the smaller icon and a different UI is perfect for the 3.5 in screen for the iPhone 4S and under. Even iPhone 5 had iOS 6 when it came out.

I had no problems with iOS 7 and iOS 8 on 3.5 inch screens, the icons are just different designs, they are't any bigger on iOS 6 (The only think I could think of was that iOS 7.1 made the dialler a bit smaller)

They didn't really change much that made 3.5 screens suddenly terrible with iOS 7 or 8.

Most people are concerned about the speed not how it looks on 3.5 inch screens.

----------

Well, if past isn't much of an indicator and doesn't matter much, then Apple can really do anything they want, which means there isn't really anything to indicate it one way or another until Apple itself does.

I meant the past is not and indicator of things like how many devices Apple drops per year etc.

----------

Not sure how one relates to the other as different approaches are taken for them.

Regardless of this, Google has made their Operating system more efficient to the extent it runs nicely on devices OLDER than the 4S. Apple has so fewer devices to program for that it really has no excuse to get iOS 9 running on 512MB of ram.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I had no problems with iOS 7 and iOS 8 on 3.5 inch screens, the icons are just different designs, they are't any bigger on iOS 6 (The only think I could think of was that iOS 7.1 made the dialler a bit smaller)

They didn't really change much that made 3.5 screens suddenly terrible with iOS 7 or 8.

Most people are concerned about the speed not how it looks on 3.5 inch screens.

----------

I meant the past is not and indicator of things like how many devices Apple drops per year etc.

----------

Regardless of this, Google has made their Operating system more efficient to the extent it runs nicely on devices OLDER than the 4S. Apple has so fewer devices to program for that it really has no excuse to get iOS 9 running on 512MB of ram.

And what I'm basically saying is that despite any or all of that Apple will make their decision as they see fit and there isn't much out there to tell us what that will really be until they make that call themselves.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
And what I'm basically saying is that despite any or all of that Apple will make their decision as they see fit and there isn't much out there to tell us what that will really be until they make that call themselves.

Apple can do what it likes, but out of decency it should and I won't rehash them because everyone is probably bored with me for that.

We can also base predictions on things Apple has pretty consistently done. I was arguing that its pointless to base predictions on things that Apple have in the past changed regularly ( Eg how many updates a device gets, how many devices apple drops each year etc)

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
I must say, I agree with the logic that Apple supporting the 4s would mean that they must've coded iOS 9 to be less resource draining. That would also mean devices like the iPhone 5, 5s, 6 and 6 Plus won't have to suffer with their 1GB of RAM, and that would add a longer lifetime to these devices. (Although that won't stop them from offering the 6s and 6s Plus with 2GB RAM as a matter of fact this should make iOS 9 fly). If Apple makes the requirement a 1GHz processor with 1GB RAM, this would make things possibly confusing for future updates, with iOS 10, 11 and 12 possibly being supported by all iPhones that have this and higher (5-onwards like the  Watch support)

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I must say, I agree with the logic that Apple supporting the 4s would mean that they must've coded iOS 9 to be less resource draining. That would also mean devices like the iPhone 5, 5s, 6 and 6 Plus won't have to suffer with their 1GB of RAM, and that would add a longer lifetime to these devices. (Although that won't stop them from offering the 6s and 6s Plus with 2GB RAM as a matter of fact this should make iOS 9 fly). If Apple makes the requirement a 1GHz processor with 1GB RAM, this would make things possibly confusing for future updates, with iOS 10, 11 and 12 possibly being supported by all iPhones that have this and higher (5-onwards like the  Watch support)

Yes - its not good for the lowest RAM support to be the amount of ram in your flagship iPhones and iPad Minis, as dropping 512 MB of ram devices would make this the case.

JuryDuty

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2014
Texas
Stop comforting yourself. The 4S is an antique. For goodness sake go buy an iPhone 6

Honestly, I find my 4S more than sufficient for now. The OS works good on it, it handles everything well. I have the latest iPad which I use for all my heavy lifting so I'm probably not seeing what would slow it down, but overall, it performs fine.

I'm actually surprised it does.

If anything, I'd expect Apple to cut it off from the iOS 9 update just to force people forward, even if it did work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.