Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2014
You know the WWDC tagline says: Epicenter Of Change. Maybe it's related to the core of iOS and OS X like RAM, memory, performance? Because they're logically the epicenter of every OSs.
Maybe Apple is changing the way iOS works? To improve it in terms of RAM, performance like Google did with Lollipop. Lollipop could run on 512MB RAM very smoothly, have improved the battery of Nexus through a OS upgrade. Maybe Apple will do the same too and make it possible to run iOS 9 on 4S better than iOS 8? And very much improved and enhanced on newer devices.:apple:

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
You know the WWDC tagline says: Epicenter Of Change. Maybe it's related to the core of iOS and OS X like RAM, memory, performance? Because they're logically the epicenter of every OSs.
Maybe Apple is changing the way iOS works? To improve it in terms of RAM, performance like Google did with Lollipop. Lollipop could run on 512MB RAM very smoothly, have improved the battery of Nexus through a OS upgrade. Maybe Apple will do the same too and make it possible to run iOS 9 on 4S better than iOS 8? And very much improved and enhanced on newer devices.:apple:

That would be awesome. It could also explain why they kept the iPad Mini 3 and iPhone 6 on 1 GB of ram and why they are still selling the iPad Mini 1 and iPod Touch 5.

Last edited:

iPhone20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2014
That would be awesome. It could also explain why they kept the iPad Mini 3 and iPhone 6 on 1 GB of ram. Also it could explain why they are still selling the iPad Mini 1 and iPod Touch 5.

Yeah! Maybe that's what tagline means. Just got that thought in my mind. :p :apple:

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Let's see, my 4s still makes calls, can still text, still browse the web, still takes photos, still fits in my pocket. I guess since it doesn't have Touch ID, LTE , and the latest emoji some might consider it an antique, but it's far from obsolete.

I think LTE is one of the biggest reasons to upgrade. And yes I think the 4s is obsolete seeing as it doesn't ev n have a 64bit processor. But then again who am I to judge lol

iPhone20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2014
I like it and think it would be a great focus.

I TOLD YOU!!
Acc to 9to5Mac: Apple is also turning full attention to polishing up iOS 9 “Monarch” ahead of its WWDC introduction, which sources now say will include a redesigned Siri application that closely mimics the more colorful user interface of Siri on the Apple Watch. We’re also told that the new release has a default wallpaper made up of a blue and green color scheme. Apple has also been working overtime on major security improvements.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/05/05/apple-wwdc-ios-9-music/

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
You know the WWDC tagline says: Epicenter Of Change.

Not for nothing, but I wonder if with all that's happening in Nepal, plus in their back yard (The Concord/Green Valley fault went off on 5/3, and the Newport/Inglewood fault had a quake on 4/30), makes the tagline for the WWDC appear very tacky.

BL.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I TOLD YOU!!
Acc to 9to5Mac: Apple is also turning full attention to polishing up iOS 9 “Monarch” ahead of its WWDC introduction, which sources now say will include a redesigned Siri application that closely mimics the more colorful user interface of Siri on the Apple Watch. We’re also told that the new release has a default wallpaper made up of a blue and green color scheme. Apple has also been working overtime on major security improvements.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/05/05/apple-wwdc-ios-9-music/

Not sure how security improvements relates to performance and stability and better support for older hardware and all that.

georgerussos

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2010
The people complaining 4S support shall halten optimisation for other devices are the ones that will complain if iOS 9 requires 1GB as minimum and the 6 and the Plus struggle later on.

I can't for the life of me see what the problem would be if Apple chose to support the 4S. They could for once not act that greedy and give the update to older devices, considering it's gonna be a bug-fixing one. The most important factor, however, is that they're still selling the 4S, and the iPod Touch 5 and all the iPads that use the A5 chip. It would be morally and generally just wrong to drop support like that. And, anyway, if they intended for iOS 8 to be the last stop for the 4S they should've ensured it wouldn't have been such a farce on it. It's ridiculous how slow it is, even on 8.3 and how much it stutters. Never before has it been so slow. It is an old device, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't try and optimise the code. And if they saw it was gonna be that heavy, why not just drop the 4S already and leave it on 7.1.2 so it'd perform adequately? Or butch some of the features so it wouldn't be that bloated?

I don't think Apple will ever give users the option to downgrade. It's not financially wise, anyway. But I think it's immoral and wrong for the last update of a device STILL being sold to be this full of bugs, forcing the user to upgrade. When iOS 7 rolled out, the 4 had long before stopped being produced. And when iOS 6 rolled out for the 3GS, the phone had been discontinued. The 4S is still not officially out. They're still making them. I bought this week a new one and it came with iOS 8 PRE-installed and I checked on SNDeep and the device is 4 months old. This iPhone 4S was made in 2015.

Last edited:

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
The people complaining 4S support shall halten optimisation for other devices are the ones that will complain if iOS 9 requires 1GB as minimum and the 6 and the Plus struggle later on.

I can't for the life of me see what the problem would be if Apple chose to support the 4S. They could once not act that greedy and give the update to older devices, considering it's gonna be a bug-fixing one. The most important factor, however, is that they're still selling the 4S, and the iPod Touch 5 and all the iPads that use the A5 chip. It would be morally and generally just wrong to drop support like that. And, anyway, if they intended iOS 8 to be the last stop for the 4S they should've ensured it wouldn't have been such a farce on it. It's ridiculous how slow it is, even on 8.3 and how much it stutters. Never before has it been so slow. It is an old device, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't try and optimise the code. And if they saw it was gonna be that heavy, why not just drop the 4S already and leave it on 7.1.2 so it'd perform adequately? Or butch some of the features so it wouldn't be that bloated?

I don't think Apple will ever give users the option to downgrade. It's not financially wise, anyway. But I think it's immoral and wrong for the last update of a device STILL being sold to be this full of bugs, forcing the user to upgrade. When iOS 7 rolled out, the 4 had long before stopped being produced. And when iOS 6 rolled out for the 3GS, the phone had been discontinued. The 4S is still not officially out. They're still making them. I bought this week a new one and it came with iOS 8 PRE-installed and I checked on SNDeep and the device is 4 months old. This iPhone 4S was made in 2015.
mmm? What's your country? 4s is not sold by apple since the launch of the iPhone 6.
A5 is still sold with iPod Touch and shamefully via the old original iPad Mini...

georgerussos

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2010
mmm? What's your country? 4s is not sold by apple since the launch of the iPhone 6.
A5 is still sold with iPod Touch and shamefully via the old original iPad Mini...

Ι'm in Europe.

How do you explain the restock, then? Also the fact the device was made a few months ago? Discontinuation would mean only selling any stock left but not producing any new units. They never officially dropped it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Ι'm in Europe.

How do you explain the restock, then? Also the fact the device was made a few months ago? Discontinuation would mean only selling any stock left but not producing any new units. They never officially dropped it.
They produce new units still for warranty replacements and various other purposes of similar nature. It's different than the device still being sold by the manufacturer though.

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
Ι'm in Europe.

Well, I don't have a 100% accurate explanation about the production date, I'm not Apple after all. =)
I'm sure they still fab them, but mainly for less wealthy countries and for costumer service, when you bring in a broken one at the Apple Store.
What I can tell you is that I'm from Europe myself and in both in the UE states I know and the US you can't buy a 4s from Apple anymore. You can just check apple.com: you will see that the oldest model you can buy is now the 5c.
http://store.apple.com/us/iphone/compare
Since you can't buy it from the apple store online and it's not even listed on their website, the 4s HAS been dropped, and this is the situation since last year.
That said, if they keep supporting it for iOS9, I'll be happy for you =)

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
Ι'm in Europe.

Wasn't the iPhone 4 produced in limited qualities for countries like India to combat the low priced android devices long after discontinuation? I swore I read something like that. They didn't even release the 5c variant until much later due to the price of that being more than the average would spend.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Wasn't the iPhone 4 produced in limited qualities for countries like India to combat the low priced android devices long after discontinuation? I swore I read something like that. They didn't even release the 5c variant until much later due to the price of that being more than the average would spend.

Yes the 4 was produced a few months into 2014 in limited quantities for India.

iPhone20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2014

I'm from India and yes you're right. And here we can buy 4S 8GB ( :mad: ) model still. 4 is also available but i don't think anyone buys it now. ( Remaining/old stock )

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
My guess is that Apple does no longer sell the 4S in their store because it would be difficult to explain to the average customer that it does not work with the Watch.

Resellers still sell it here.
About 270 USD (including tax, at today's exchange-rate) for the 8GB version.
I've got the 16GB version and that is already a stretch.
I'm not sure if it's a good idea to get anything with 16GB for the next iteration.

iPhone20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2014
My guess is that Apple does no longer sell the 4S in their store because it would be difficult to explain to the average customer that it does not work with the Watch.

Resellers still sell it here.
About 270 USD (including tax, at today's exchange-rate) for the 8GB version.
I've got the 16GB version and that is already a stretch.
I'm not sure if it's a good idea to get anything with 16GB for the next iteration.

It does, here in India 4S is still being sold and it's really selling here. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.