Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Cowen & Co. analyst Timothy Arcuri claims the 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 will differ in more than just display size, reports AppleInsider. According to Arcuri's supply chain checks, the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 may include a more powerful processor and a different touch module than the 4.7-inch model.

chipworks_a7_floorplan.jpg
A7 transistor die photo from Chipworks
Details on the degree of processor difference between the two models were not provided, but the report suggests it may be more than a simple difference in clock speed as seen in the A7 used in the current iPads and iPhone 5s. The A7 in the iPad Air is clocked at 1.4 GHz, while the same chip in the Retina iPad mini and iPhone 5s is clocked at 1.3 GHz.

Arcuri suggests the processor in the faster 5.5-inch iPhone 6 may actually have a larger die than the version found in the 4.7-inch model. This architectural change may hint at an A8 processor with a different graphics processor or possibly a new process for the fabrication of the chip.

Besides two different processors, Arcuri also believes the two iPhone 6 models may ship with different touch modules, with TPK as the likely manufacturer.

Apple is expected to unveil the iPhone at a September event with the 4.7-inch model possibly arriving first and the 5.5-inch following up to several months later.

Article Link: 5.5-Inch iPhone 6's A8 Processor May Be More Powerful Than in 4.7-Inch Model

HarryT

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2013
I doubt this. Why would Apple make two types of 'iPhone' under the same brand.

Edit: To clarify for those that are reading out of context. By two types of iPhone I mean different internals. iPhone 5s and 5C are not two types.. the iPhone 5C has the iPhone 5 internals which Apple invested greatly in R&D on this the previous year. This is a simple way to avoid changing production plants every cycle.

By trying to do 2 different manufacturing processes (i.e. two different chips) they would not only have to double their production facilities but also double testing for hardware and double testing on software bugs.

So please stop quoting me saying 5s and 5C.

Last edited:

Getafe

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2011
Lynchburg, VA
Still waiting for the real proof of a 5.5 inch iPhone. This could easily of just been made up. They are using what Apple have done with the iPad Air & iPad Mini to make up something that COULD (and probably isn't) be true.

Even the apparent leaked parts of the 5.5 inch iPhone could be for another device.

Really hope there the larger phablet version does come, even though I am doubting it more and more as time goes by.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Hope not! I want to buy a phone based on screen size, and not be forced to use a bigger screen to get better performance.

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
A more power processor would make sense to compensate a higher resolution screen.

JohnnyDJunior

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2013
I smell a 6S 6C in the works..... 5.5 sounds awesome if it'll have better specs but it can't fit it my pants though.... Specs vs Comfortability

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Hmm, this doesn't make sense. The iPad Air is a lot bigger than the Mini, but the Air didn't receive a bigger die.

There's a first for everything, but I would say this is unlikely.

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
I hope that they don't do something like this. 4.7 is big enough for me (5.5 is way too big), but I do want the fasted processor so it can last me three years.

Moto G

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2014
Here's what will happen:

If the 5.5" is fact and is released, all the rumours will be proven to have had substance to them, and the journos and "analysts" will be happy (and smug - you can count on smug).

If it isn't released this year, but comes a year (or a few) later, you watch and see how wordplay and spin is used to twist, manipulate and distort what they actually said, to fit into what eventually came to pass, to ENSURE that the people who predicted it would come THIS YEAR, don't "lose face" - they'll find a way to talk their way out of saying "okay, we are sorry and we got this one wrong", in favour of having them look like the amazing, profound and insightful people which they want to be seen as.

Taipan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
Damn it, this means I'll have to settle with a lower end model. :-(
No amount of CPU power can make me buy a 5,5" phone.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
I guess I can wait a few more weeks to get the top of the line iPhone 6 5.5" model.

prism

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2006
Ok lets do a roundup of the rumors on differences between the 4.7 & 5.5":

Different processors
Different touch module
Different glass material
Different camera lens system

If all these turn out to be true, it will be a stretch to call both the iphone 6!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.