Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Just hope they aren't artificially limiting the 4.7 to differentiate the two other than screen size. I have no interest in a phone that big, but want the highest specs I can get.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
iPhone 5.5" with 4 Gb RAM and dual core 2ghz sapphire crystals build with crocodile leather

asmodeo1

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2014
Hmm, this doesn't make sense. The iPad Air is a lot bigger than the Mini, but the Air didn't receive a bigger die.

There's a first for everything, but I would say this is unlikely.

Both have the same resolution

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
The 5C was just the iphone 5 made cheaper to be the low end model of the year. Just like when every new iphone comes out, they make a cheaper version of the previous year's phone and its always $99. The 5C was just the first time they changed the body to save money.

Now to say the smaller 6 will be a C would be a stretch. They will want to make a 5S phone cheaper at the 99 point. Its still a 5 series so they may need a new letter or really confuse things and imply they simply added a fingerprint sensor and other upgrades to the Late 2014 5C.

The 4.7" will likely try for the $199 (or since Apple likes to milk everything $229) price point.

The 5.5" will likely start at $100 more. If the margins for Apple are too tight, they will give it a bigger bump in starting storage (32GB) and increase it to $150 difference.

Heck they could have fun and say iphone Mini (5S), iphone Air (4.7), and iphone Pro (5.5)

My only problem is I want to pay for the best features but to me 5.5" phone is not a feature. So I really hate to be forced to give up features to stay at 4.7"

Bearxor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
I don't think this is an impossibility, but the only way I'd reasonably expect it to happen is if the iPhone 6X has a significantly higher resolution than the 6, requiring some more graphics power. The GPU units take up a good bit of die space.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Damn I want to get whatever the most powerful iPhone is, but was hoping they'd both be equal . Don't really want a huge phone .

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
I dont see it as an issue though. People went with the 5C knowing that it had older internals than the 5S though

I don't think most people realized they were buying last years phone (species were same as the 5, right?). I think most thought they were buying the plastic version (in a fun color) that would be good enough and some thought that it might not be as powerful as the 5s, but I don't think they realized they were "old" internals.

Gary

Boatboy24

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2011
1 Infinite Loop
Ok lets do a roundup of the rumors on differences between the 4.7 & 5.5":

Different processors
Different touch module
Different glass material
Different camera lens system

If all these turn out to be true, it will be a stretch to call both the iphone 6!

So, perhaps Apple will surprise all of us by releasing the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6S at the same time!

You heard it here first! iPhone 7 in 2015!

NerdCore

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2014
What would this "iPhone Pro" do that the "iPhone Air" wouldn't? What if I want better battery life and a faster processor but not in phablet form? For me to buy into this the "Pro" device would have to have feature and capabilities that are only available on that device and only make sense on a larger screen. Not differentiation just for the sake of it or just to justify a larger price tag. Not something that will force people to have to make a compromise just because of screen size.

What really is different about the Air and Pro Macbooks? Aside from weight and form factor, the Air is only limited by its smaller specs. I'm sure the iPhone will do the same.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
What does it matter? In all likelihood neither will be a discernible difference from the A7. Many upgrading from the iPhone 5 may not even be able to feel a speed increase.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Ok lets do a roundup of the rumors on differences between the 4.7 & 5.5":

Different processors
Different touch module
Different glass material
Different camera lens system

If all these turn out to be true, it will be a stretch to call both the iphone 6!

Didn't we hear the 5.5 might be called the "iphone Air"?

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Heck they could have fun and say iphone Mini (5S), iphone Air (4.7), and iphone Pro (5.5)

My only problem is I want to pay for the best features but to me 5.5" phone is not a feature. So I really hate to be forced to give up features to stay at 4.7"

I find it hard to believe they'll have 4 models around ($0, $99, $199, $299). With the different storage sizes and colors and carriers that's a lot of SKUs.

I always thought the models that had more storage, since they were charigng such a premium, should have had more RAM for apps to run.

I think they're going pull any old models that don't have the lightning connector (I was surprised they didn't last time), but I guess that would just be the $0 phone, so that'll fall off the list this year anyways, right?

Gary

arbitter

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2010
Belgium
Hope not! I want to buy a phone based on screen size, and not be forced to use a bigger screen to get better performance.
Because the A8 chip might be upgraded doesn't necessarily mean better preformance. It would seem logical if the device needs to drive more pixels, it needs more power.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
If it's true that bigger devices can have better performance and battery life (like the iPad Air and mini), it would be foolish to put a constraint on the performance of the 5.5".

HarryT

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2013
Why do we assume its a same brand? 6X and 6Y are possibilities, the 5S and 5C happened at the same time

The 5C is the iPhone 5 internals with a different case basically. They did not go to the engineering effort to create a totally separate production line for this chip. It was already in production for the R&D expenses of the previous flagship product.

If Apple are now doing two types of chips it also adds liability when it comes to software bugs. What if everyone on one of the chips gets a bug? Now Apple have to spend twice as long testing (or twice the man hours/money) to test TWO chipsets. It's just not logical.

Faster clock speed will suffice and thats what I am betting on.

Mike82

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
If the 5.5 inch has a higher resolution display (which would make sense) it seems logical it should also have faster hardware than the 4.7. You can't justify that your largest, most expensive phone runs slower than the smaller, cheaper model.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Because the A8 chip might be upgraded doesn't necessarily mean better preformance. It would seem logical if the device needs to drive more pixels, it needs more power.

But then you'd expect it to be on par with the 4.7" if you compensate the added power for extra pixels. This article implies Apple will be giving it more power than what's needed to drive those extra pixels on par with the 4.7".

chleuasme

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2012
Arcuri suggests the processor in the faster 5.5-inch iPhone 6 may actually have a larger die than the version found in the 4.7-inch model. This architectural change may hint at an A8 processor with a different graphics processor or possibly a new process for the fabrication of the chip.
Supposing the info of the larger die of the 5.5" model compared to the 4.7" one is true, one can imagine different scenarios, other than "larger means faster".
If Apple with the A8 use a new 20 nm process as rumors say, the A8 could be smaller than the A7, yet more powerful.
Not giving credit in Apple making a 5.5" phablet, it yet could fit with the view of this potential new 5.5" iDevice as the new micro-tablet formerly known as the iPod Touch, sporting last year technology with the A7, while the new flagship iPhone would get the new A8.

a.roden

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2013
Wolverhampton GB
What would this "iPhone Pro" do that the "iPhone Air" wouldn't? What if I want better battery life and a faster processor but not in phablet form? For me to buy into this the "Pro" device would have to have feature and capabilities that are only available on that device and only make sense on a larger screen. Not differentiation just for the sake of it or just to justify a larger price tag. Not something that will force people to have to make a compromise just because of screen size.

What does the Macbook Pro do that the Macbook Air doesn't? other than being bigger and more powerful?

As a consumer I like the way that the Macbook lineup is laid out... If I want power then I have to go for a bigger form factor. And the everyday user can have something that is powerful enough, lasts the whole day and is much slimmer and smaller. So I think it would make good sense for the iPhone(s). By no means is it going to happen because I've said it. But I think it would work. As somebody else said above, the differentiating features could be:
- Display glass material
- Processor power
- Screen size
- Battery life

Pretty much the same as MacBooks :cool:

:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.