Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Details: I have an iphone 4 JB on 4.2.1 with GP RC5-4 via Windows 7 64bit...restored as a new iphone with the most current version of iTunes.

Last night at around 1AM I had my phone charged to 100% ...the morning I woke up around 6AM and my phone was down to 50%...

Apps/Tweaks/Mods I have installed are:

activator
app switcher rotator
attachment saver
barrel
bitesms
elert
fake carrier
five icon dock
folder enhancer
grid tab safari
iblacklist
ifile
intellishared
mobile terminal
navigate from maps
nexus live wallpaper
openssh
photo mail
play awake
pull to refresh safari & mail
remove background
remove recents
safari download manager
sbsettings
snappy
switcher mod
winterboard
3g unrestrictor

My phone has never lost juice like that so quickly...the only real new tweaks I've added recently that I can think might be causing the problems are possibly Nexus live wallpaper...snappy....fake carrier

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to why this might be happening? Has anyone had any issues with battery drain from Nexus Live Wallpaper??

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
I've always noticed that the more and more Cydia junk I put onto my phone, the slower and more buggy the device gets. A lot of these apps are designed to modify the stock OS, but if you have 2 JB apps that kind of overlap each other then it could cause issues. Thats why I just stick to only the must have JB apps.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Okay so since my last post I've uninstalled a couple tweaks/apps and still haven't found any improvement. The things I've taken away are:

app switcher rotator
fake carrier
grid tab safari
nexus live wallpaper
play awake
pull to refresh safari & mail
winterboard

Last night when I went to bed I unplugged my phone at 100% and started the timer. 9hr 15min later when I awoke it was done to 70%. I didn't have wifi enabled, push was turned off, blue tooth was active but nothing was connected to it, location services was on but nothing was running. The only apps in my task bar running were Phone and Mail (always on Fetch only) Notifications was on, but didn't receive any...I don't use Facebook or MSN messenger or anything I only leave Notifications on for GameCenter.

I've read GP is likely the problem as many people are experiencing this same issue. I read one post where the guy said his Usage VS Standby times were exactly the same after a full charge the next morning. Also read another guy and I actually agree with him is that while stand by mode life stinks, regular usage doesn't seem out of the ordinary.

Does anyone else agree that GP is the problem? Are you having the same issues as I? I'd love to hear if anyone else has their stand by VS usage times the same the next morning after a full charge the night before. I'm going to test mine out today and report back.

If GP is the problem, what could be causing it...what could be running in the background to cause such a massive battery drain like 30 - 40% in just a couple hours??

Benji222

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2009
So Cal
I would do a fresh restore. Something is definitely messed up
I unplugged yesterday morning and im at 67% a whole 24 hours(more like 26, but whatever) later with decent usage(calls, texts, even some gaming)
I have probably twice as many tweaks installed as you.
Have you checked the obvious stuff like mail refresh options?

Maybe it is GP, im on 4.1

nednarm

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2010
U.K
I've read GP is likely the problem as many people are experiencing this same issue. I read one post where the guy said his Usage VS Standby times were exactly the same after a full charge the next morning. Also read another guy and I actually agree with him is that while stand by mode life stinks, regular usage doesn't seem out of the ordinary.

This seems like exactly my problem as well. I thought it might have been my mail accounts so I deactivated them but the drain still occurred. Not entirely sure where the leak is.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I would do a fresh restore. Something is definitely messed up
I unplugged yesterday morning and im at 67% a whole 24 hours(more like 26, but whatever) later with decent usage(calls, texts, even some gaming)
I have probably twice as many tweaks installed as you.
Have you checked the obvious stuff like mail refresh options? Maybe it is GP, im on 4.1

That's exactly why your battery life is still so good....mine was great on 4.1 too. I haven't really installed anything new that I didn't have on 4.1

Man I hope they're aware of this problem. Their tweeter pages have been so quite lately and haven't seen anyone comment to them regarding this issue. I really hope they release another version to combat the drain. Their site is down at the moment...not sure why though.

This seems like exactly my problem as well. I thought it might have been my mail accounts so I deactivated them but the drain still occurred. Not entirely sure where the leak is.

I have two mail account...both gmail...I set the mail to fetch every 1/2 hour...still not enough to drain 30% in 9 hrs with the screen completely off and nothing else running in the background.

swanning-it

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2010
Gold Coast Australia
After my jailbreak, firmware upgrade and unlock yesterday, I found the same thing (down to 30% in about 5 hours). I found this site(www.troublefixers.com solved iphone 3gs battery drain problem on firmware 4-2-1 and ipad baseband 06-15-00) that helped me. I only needed Fix No.1 (hard reset) and it's fixed my battery draining problem. Charged it to 100% at 1.30pm yesterday, this morning at 6.am it was at 90% (without any use), which I considered acceptable.

Not sure how it'd go with iPhone 4, but worth a try.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
After my jailbreak, firmware upgrade and unlock yesterday, I found the same thing (down to 30% in about 5 hours). I found this site(www.troublefixers.com solved iphone 3gs battery drain problem on firmware 4-2-1 and ipad baseband 06-15-00) that helped me. I only needed Fix No.1 (hard reset) and it's fixed my battery draining problem. Charged it to 100% at 1.30pm yesterday, this morning at 6.am it was at 90% (without any use), which I considered acceptable.

Not sure how it'd go with iPhone 4, but worth a try.

Great thanks for the link...cool site. I tried resetting network setting to see if that helps at all. I already tried the hard reset with no help.

So the new stats I recorded since last night are the following...

I pulled the phone from the charger at 4:15 and made sure it was at 100% and nothing was running in the task switcher bar except for Phone, Mail, BiteSMS and Safari....I then checked my phone this morning at 6:30 and it was down to 60% with a usage time of 2 1/2 hours....what the heck could be going on under the hood that would give 2.5 hours of usage and wear my battery 40%????

I see the GP site is putting up RC6...I wonder if that's solely for AppleTV JB or will it also include bug fixes and or battery fix???

Another question..... Has anyone who ran Redsn0w first and then ran Greenpoisi0n on top had any battery issues at all???

I'm thinking I might try that next although I can't see why that would stop the battery depletion issue? But I'll try anything at this point. I'm also hoping 4.3 will come real soon and the JB will follow soon after from the Dev Team...I've always had so much more faith in them.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
So I charged my battery again to 100% and took it off the charger at 3pm...looked at it this morning at 7:30 and it went down to 57% so basically 16hr 30min later I lost 43% on standby alone, nothing was on in the background. Push, wifi and bluetooth were all off.

My usage said it was at 2.5hrs....what's going on in the background at 2.5 hrs??

I can't figure this out?

Still love to hear if anyone has used Redsn0w to JB first and used GP over top of it to achieve the untehter???

shakeman0

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2009
Have you tried a full restore? If I were you, I would do a DFU restore, set up as new phone, and JB again with the latest GP.

Good luck,

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2008
California
Have you tried a full restore? If I were you, I would do a DFU restore, set up as new phone, and JB again with the latest GP.

Good luck,

I'm having a somewhat similar issue, on 4.1, out of no were it just started draining like mad. I'm planning on moving to 4.2.1 anyways. Sorry to here your having the issue, sometimes you just get a bad new restore. :/

Tomple

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
New York, New York

Good luck,

Yes this is key, set up as NEW phone instead of restore from backup.
I have had issues with extreme battery drain on my iPhone as well, and a simple restore from backup did not fix it. I may be entirely wrong, but I believe it was from "ghost" jailbreak files left in the backup which I then restored from. Just a theory :D but I would give setting up as a new phone a shot.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
OKAY SO IT"S OFFICIAL...Greenposi0n is the battery draining problem!

I jailbroke my iPhone 4, restored as new and JB with GP. I tried RC5-2, RC5-4 and RC5-Final...I would charge my battery up to 100% and just leave it over night on standby mode, with NOTHING else running in the background. I'd wake up 8-10 hours later and find my battery depleted by over 40%-50%.

Yesterday I re-jailbroke my phone and set up as new with Redsn0w and put everything the same way it was when I was using GP...well this morning after leaving the phone on standby for almost 10hours I woke up to a full battery with an 89% charge.

I'd say this is proof enough that GP is the culprit!!

Tomple

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
New York, New York

I jailbroke my iPhone 4, restored as new and JB with GP. I tried RC5-2, RC5-4 and RC5-Final...I would charge my battery up to 100% and just leave it over night on standby mode, with NOTHING else running in the background. I'd wake up 8-10 hours later and find my battery depleted by over 40%-50%.

Yesterday I re-jailbroke my phone and set up as new with Redsn0w and put everything the same way it was when I was using GP...well this morning after leaving the phone on standby for almost 10hours I woke up to a full battery with an 89% charge.

Glad your phone works. and good research :D

Last edited:

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
This is why I wait on jb a new iOS. Thanks for being the guinea pig. :D

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010

I would say you have something else going on. Are you in a low signal area? 11% is a LOT to lose purely from standby. I usually charge up at night when I get home, then unplug. Over 12 or 15 hours, the phone is lucky to lose 1-2% (with GP on a Verizon iPhone, and CDMA uses a bit more juice as is). Given, the jailbreak may be exasperating the problem, but I still think something else is up.

Have you tried calibrating the battery? What about downloading something like Battery Info Lite and seeing what the relative "health" of the battery is.

Last edited:

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I would say you have something else going on. Are you in a low signal area? 11% is a LOT to lose purely from standby. I usually charge up at night when I get home, then unplug. Over 12 or 15 hours, the phone is lucky to lose 1-2% (with GP on a Verizon iPhone, and CDMA uses a bit more juice as is). Given, the jailbreak may be exasperating the problem, but I still think something else is up.

Have you tried calibrating the battery? What about downloading something like Battery Info Lite and seeing what the relative "health" of the battery is.

I'm not in a low signal area, the phone is always on the 3G network. I don't think 11% over a 10hr period on standby is so bad. Every since I JB almost 2 years ago that's what I've found to be the normal average of battery loss.

How would you calibrate a battery? Let it fully die out and then fully recharge it?? A good app for checking out battery details is an app in Cydia called Battery Detective.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Okay so here's the final test....

After trying a fresh restore 3 times and using different release candidates of GP and having all the same results of losing 40-50% battery in a 8-10hour period on standby mode I then restored as new and used Redsnow and set up everything EXACTLY the same as I did when using GP....I found that I only lost 9-11% in the regular 8-10hours of standby mode.

So what I mean about the final test is today I'm going to run GP over RS, charge my phone to 100% tonight and do the 8-10hour standby mode test again.

I'll report back here tomorrow morning with my findings.

shakeman0

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2009
Okay so here's the final test....

After trying a fresh restore 3 times and using different release candidates of GP and having all the same results of losing 40-50% battery in a 8-10hour period on standby mode I then restored as new and used Redsnow and set up everything EXACTLY the same as I did when using GP....I found that I only lost 9-11% in the regular 8-10hours of standby mode.

So what I mean about the final test is today I'm going to run GP over RS, charge my phone to 100% tonight and do the 8-10hour standby mode test again.

I'll report back here tomorrow morning with my findings.

If you are on a Mac or have access to one, Pwnage Tool was released for 4.2.1 recently. It may be a better jailbreak.

TheOriginalKi

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2011
Belfast
Granted I don't have any JB tweaks or JB apps installed yet (with the exception of Grooveshark) - I only lost around 1-3% over night on a GP JB iPhone 4 the other night. My room gets rubbish mobile reception too - it's always jumping around between 2g and 3g.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.