Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
I'm not sure if this is related to the other thread here. I have T-mobile. The phone shows 5G with plenty of bars. I can make phone calls. But there is no internet connection, no matter where I am. Only way to solve it is to restart the phone. Is this a common issue?

Joho2078

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2019
I'm not sure if this is related to the other thread here. I have T-mobile. The phone shows 5G with plenty of bars. I can make phone calls. But there is no internet connection, no matter where I am. Only way to solve it is to restart the phone. Is this a common issue?
What phone do you have and do you have latest update? It's not a common issue with my regular iPhone 12 and for my data only iPhone 12s.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Now I had the opposite happen the me. 12 Pro Max. 5G full bars. This morning a call dropped and I could not call back no matter where I was located. (driving to work) But I could text without issue. Reset did not work. Person tried calling me and could not connect. Couple hours later and all was working again. This was a first for me. Not sure if it was my carrier or my phone.

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Try resetting network settings.
I did, and it changed nothing.

Here is one situation: I restarted the phone, for other reasons. The I left home 2 seconds later. No internet. I had to restart the phone again, and then it worked. It seems like the phone cannot transition internet from WiFi to cellular. Perhaps there is some hardware problem with my specific phone?

• Sad
Reactions: jbachandouris

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I did, and it changed nothing.

Here is one situation: I restarted the phone, for other reasons. The I left home 2 seconds later. No internet. I had to restart the phone again, and then it worked. It seems like the phone cannot transition internet from WiFi to cellular. Perhaps there is some hardware problem with my specific phone?
Try a new SIM card. Make sure you get a 5G SIM card from T-Mobile. If that doesn't work, check with T-Mobile to make sure everything pertaining to your phone and account is visible and correct on their network view. If that doesn't work, put the phone in Recovery Mode and set up as new. If that doesn't fix the problem, you very well may have a hardware problem. At that point, time to contact Apple for a replacement.

Make sure 5G is set to auto and not always on.

Last edited:

yticolev

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2015
Seems I read in another thread that toggling airplane mode works. If so, way faster than a restart. However, I also read that the last iOS update fixed that bug. You might also try selecting forcing 4G mode only - that could work or at least rule 5G out of the equation. Or upgrade your plan! LOL.

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Seems I read in another thread that toggling airplane mode works. If so, way faster than a restart. However, I also read that the last iOS update fixed that bug. You might also try selecting forcing 4G mode only - that could work or at least rule 5G out of the equation. Or upgrade your plan! LOL.
It makes no difference switching to LTE. And turning on/off airplane mode doesn’t work either. Restarting the phone seems to be the only thing that works.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Try a new SIM card. Make sure you get a 5G SIM card from T-Mobile. If that doesn't work, check with T-Mobile to make sure everything pertaining to your phone and account is visible and correct on their network view. If that doesn't work, put the phone in Recovery Mode and set up as new. If that doesn't fix the problem, you very well may have a hardware problem. At that point, time to contact Apple for a replacement.

Make sure 5G is set to auto and not always on.
With T-Mobile it does not matter whether the sim card is 5G specific. I used the T-Mobile SIM card from my iPhone 6S+ in the iPhone 12 Pro Max and it had no issue connecting to 5G. Thought that was pretty cool.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
With T-Mobile it does not matter whether the sim card is 5G specific. I used the T-Mobile SIM card from my iPhone 6S+ in the iPhone 12 Pro Max and it had no issue connecting to 5G. Thought that was pretty cool.
You can connect without one. However, according to said company, you won't get the full connect capability of 5G without their 5G card. That may or may be of importance to the OP.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
You can connect without one. However, according to said company, you won't get the full connect capability of 5G without their 5G card. That may or may be of importance to the OP.
No issue getting full connect with 5G. Switching between 5G and LTE there is definite difference in speed. The reason I knew it would work before I tried it was I spoke with a T-Mobile rep and was told I could use my old SIM card and get full 5G access.

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
It seems to happen almost every time I go out, though sometimes it works. But I don’t have a good statistic, since I rarely leave home during the pandemic. Still, it seems every time I leave home, I have to restart the phone to get cellular connection.

However, it doesn’t seem to be a common problem, so I guess I should contact AppleCare.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
I had this problem, but last night I went to Settings > General > About. There was a Carrier Settings update. Since updating I haven't had any connectivity issues on 5G.

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
I had this problem, but last night I went to Settings > General > About. There was a Carrier Settings update. Since updating I haven't had any connectivity issues on 5G.
Oh, thanks. When I went there, it did indeed say a carrier settings update was available. Hopefully that solves the issue.

ray6088

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2013
It happened 2 weeks ago, I need to switch to air plane mode on & off during the peak hours evening for my mini. It is on T mobile network. I think the problem is on TMO side.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I'm using an older iPhone (LTE) and a few times a year I lose connection to the Internet but still have phone service. It's not my phone, it's the cell tower in my town. AT&T

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Unfortunately, it’s not solved. Again today there was no internet on 5G. But I can see I don’t have to restart the phone to make it work, I just have to switch on and off airplane mode. Still, I have to do that almost every time I leave home. Especially bad if I’m driving.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Unfortunately, it’s not solved. Again today there was no internet on 5G. But I can see I don’t have to restart the phone to make it work, I just have to switch on and off airplane mode. Still, I have to do that almost every time I leave home. Especially bad if I’m driving.
If you force the phone to use LTE only do you still have the issue?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.