Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jukens

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
So I just received my 42mm space grey sport watch today. Wife has had hers for almost a month now. Wore it for a few hours until I had to go behind my tv and adjust my router and in doing so lightly rubbed the wall. I immediately thought to look at the face to make sure I didn't scratch it. Sure enough it left hair line scratches in many spots on the face and across a portion of the curved edge. How does textured drywall cause the screen to scratch?

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Painted drywall can be abrasive. I've scratched my old Luminox by scraping it along a wall doing something similar to you. But it wasn't glass I don't think.

KojiH

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
Wow. Sorry to hear that it got scratched up on Day 1. Perhaps you could take it to a watch repair shop and have the crystal polished.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
That sucks. This will be the first watch for many that does not have a bezel. Therefore, leaving that screen recessed bit.

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
Quick! Swap it with your wife's. Then say "Honey... What did you do to your watch??" :p

Seriously tho - it's a bummer. I hope to be getting mine in the next couple of weeks and I'm actually considering some form of screen protector even though initially I thought it sounded like a dumb idea as I've been wearing a Tag Formula One for six years which still looks pristine...

Reactions: lirn8

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
one could suggest buying Apple Care+ now and wait a few days before filing a claim but obviously i am not gonna do that :p

iConnected

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2011
one could suggest buying Apple Care+ now and wait a few days before filing a claim but obviously i am not gonna do that :p

In the UK, it is a criminal offence to encourage someone else to commit insurance fraud - which itself is also a criminal offence. Perhaps the same applies in the US.

iConnected

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2011
Buying AppleCare+ only AFTER accidental damage has occurred and then claiming for that damage = insurance fraud = criminal offence.

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth
Apple Care+ is an insurance after all. If you buy an insurance AFTER an incident has happened it's most likely not legal anywhere in the world.

Reactions: ohio.emt

iConnected

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2011
Honestly, I think insurance investigators and claims adjusters have far bigger claims to worry about than a $400 Apple Watch claim. Good grief.

"Good grief"?

OK, then - here's a suggestion for everyone who thinks insurance fraud is OK.

YOU all pay some money into a pot. Anyone who has an incident with their watch (for which they hadn't previously bought insurance) can take money out of that pot whenever they need to, in order to pay for their uninsured replacements and repairs. Whenever that pot of money runs low, you all keep topping it back up again out of your own pockets.

There will be no oversight or governance over those taking money out of the pot, because everyone has bigger things to worry about. So anyone who feels like dipping in should just go right ahead and keep on taking. And you all keep on paying.

All honest AppleCare+ customers (the ones who don't commit fraud) can then pay a fair price now and in the future, instead of subsidising people who think it's OK to defraud them. Because there's one thing you can be sure of - it's always customers who end up paying for abuse of the system.

timize

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
"Good grief"?

OK, then - here's a suggestion for everyone who thinks insurance fraud is OK.

YOU all pay some money into a pot. Anyone who has an incident with their watch (for which they hadn't previously bought insurance) can take money out of that pot whenever they need to, in order to pay for their uninsured replacements and repairs. Whenever that pot of money runs low, you all keep topping it back up again out of your own pockets.

There will be no oversight or governance over those taking money out of the pot, because everyone has bigger things to worry about. So anyone who feels like dipping in should just go right ahead and keep on taking. And you all keep on paying.

All honest AppleCare+ customers (the ones who don't commit fraud) can then pay a fair price now and in the future, instead of subsidising people who think it's OK to defraud them. Because there's one thing you can be sure of - it's always customers who end up paying for abuse of the system.
The difference is with AppleCare, you DON'T pay a monthly/yearly premium for the insurance. You either buy it with the product or within 60 days of purchasing the product. Then you're out of luck.

Reactions: mkruck

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth
Honestly, I think insurance investigators and claims adjusters have far bigger claims to worry about than a $400 Apple Watch claim. Good grief.
Wow, I just stated the obvious. Of course there are insurable goods far more worth than the Apple Watch but in all seriousness my point still stands..

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth
The difference is with AppleCare, you DON'T pay a monthly/yearly premium for the insurance. You either buy it with the product or within 60 days of purchasing the product. Then you're out of luck.
I totally support @iConnected 's post nevertheless.

Why would I pay 65€ (in Europe, for the Sport) to subsidize people who wreck their watch and buy AC+ after it? No, just no.

Sorry for double post.

iConnected

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2011
The difference is with AppleCare, you DON'T pay a monthly/yearly premium for the insurance. ... .

I'm aware of that, thanks :)

By "...pay a fair price now and in the future" I obviously mean that honest AppleCare+ customers should be able to buy AppleCare+ now and in the future (ie on their next device) at fair prices. Fair prices should not have to include a sum that offsets an insurer's costs in paying out on fraudulent claims.

iConnected

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2011
For the record, buying AppleCare+ after accidental damage is not a crime.

Immoral, yes, but not a crime.

Wrong. Buying AC+ after accidental damage and then claiming for that damage IS a crime. And also immoral.

Reactions: Rok73

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Wrong. Buying AC+ after accidental damage and then claiming for that damage IS a crime. And also immoral.
Where your mistake lies is that you believe AppleCare+ is insurance. It's not. Apple does not reference it as insurance. Nowhere in their terms will you find mention of insurance.

You will never find a case of anybody being charged with anything related to AppleCare+.

iConnected

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2011
Where your mistake lies is that you believe AppleCare+ is insurance. It's not. Apple does not reference it as insurance. Nowhere in their terms will you find mention of insurance.

In the UK (the only country where I have asserted that a fraudulent claim would be a criminal offence), the accidental damage element of AppleCare+ is indeed an insurance product:

"Thank you for buying AppleCare+, an insurance policy underwritten by AIG Europe Limited (“AIG”) who agrees to insure Your iPhone, iPad, iPod, Apple Watch or Apple Watch Sport according to the terms and conditions contained in this Policy."

Source: https://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/applecareplus/docs/applecareplus_uk_tc.html

FrisbeeK9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
Omg, I got my Apple Watch yesterday. Love it. Wore it to a high school function for my son and came home took it off and put it on the charger. This morning on the subway I noticed the face glass had a huge scratch!!! then I realized it's an arm hair from my way over hairy arms.....

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
In the UK, the accidental damage element of AppleCare+ is an insurance product:

"Thank you for buying AppleCare+, an insurance policy underwritten by AIG Europe Limited (“AIG”) who agrees to insure Your iPhone, iPad, iPod, Apple Watch or Apple Watch Sport according to the terms and conditions contained in this Policy."

Source: https://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/applecareplus/docs/applecareplus_uk_tc.html
I am not knowledgeable on UK law. My post is referring to the U.S.

Are you in the UK?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.