Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2021
So, I have a M1 iPad Pro with 128GB and use less than half of the storage space. 50 some GB. I’ve had 64GB devices in the past and they worked for me, but I don’t know if I should take the dive with the Air 5? I can’t afford the 256GB, so the smaller storage option would be my only option. I did have a mini 6, but it was too small for me. I figured maybe the Air 5 would be a good companion device to my 12.9” iPad Pro. I always liked the 10.9”/11” form factor.

What do you think I should do?

Reactions: Ram65

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
So, I have a M1 iPad Pro with 128GB and use less than half of the storage space. 50 some GB. I’ve had 64GB devices in the past and they worked for me, but I don’t know if I should take the dive with the Air 5? I can’t afford the 256GB, so the smaller storage option would be my only option. I did have a mini 6, but it was too small for me. I figured maybe the Air 5 would be a good companion device to my 12.9” iPad Pro. I always liked the 10.9”/11” form factor.

If you’re already using 50GB, going for the 64GB model is iffy. iPadOS uses more storage than it used to.

I have an iPad 7th gen with 32GB used primarily for PDF markup, barely any apps installed. I couldn’t even do some OTA updates on that (iirc, around 10GB free, update wanted more than 10GB free).

Reactions: sracer and max2

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2021
Not trying to defend the 64GB because I hate it too as a base option (Should be 128GB), but all of my other stuff is 99.9% photos from my graphic design that I saved in iCloud. So I MIGHT be able to make it work. The mini was cool and all, but making graphics was cumbersome. The refreshing due to the low amount of RAM was not ideal either.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
64GB also means the storage system will be slower compared to higher storage models. If I were you, I’d squeeze a little bit extra to get larger storage so I can save more time not bothering about micro managing storage.

There’s a good saying: when you are not sure if you are able to get away with something, best not attempt it.

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2021
64GB also means the storage system will be slower compared to higher storage models. If I were you, I’d squeeze a little bit extra to get larger storage so I can save more time not bothering about micro managing storage.

There’s a good saying: when you are not sure if you are able to get away with something, best not attempt it.
Very good advice. Shirasaki. Thank you. I’ll either save for the 256GB model or get an M2 11” Pro later on.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
If money is tight, then honestly a second iPad wouldn’t even be on my radar.
I also don’t think that 11” and 12.9” are complementing each other rather than one taking the place of the other. An iPhone or iPad mini would be those picks for me.

v1ctorS

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2022
You'd be missing out on the new memory swap feature that comes with iPadOS 16. Go for the 256GB option or get an 11' iPad Pro.

redcarlsen

macrumors regular
May 22, 2014
If money is tight, then honestly a second iPad wouldn’t even be on my radar.
I also don’t think that 11” and 12.9” are complementing each other rather than one taking the place of the other. An iPhone or iPad mini would be those picks for me.
this is what I was going to say. If you already have an ipad, and can't spare the money to go with the 256, I wouldn't do it. I would make-do and save if you really really want it. Or pass on it altogether (my choice if money is a consideration)

Reactions: ericwn

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
If you can wait a bit, see what Apple do later this month with their iPads Pro. They might also bump Air 5 storage to 128 GB at the same time, you never know.

Ram65

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014

Get it you deserve it plus increase revenue for apple win win

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021

You already have the 12.9"? Why would you want an air?

I get it is smaller but you already have an IPP and an air is a big step down when you are used to ProMotion, mini Led, face I'd, quad speakers, etc.

If I were you I would consider what I use my iPad for?

If you just want something smaller to browse the web and stream movies then I will wait for sales in November. Should be able to get the base air for $500 then. I don't think storage would be an issue unless you were replacing the 12.9" since you said companion then just keep all your data on the other iPad.

As for stage manager and swap again I think it is a mute point as a secondary device. Besides the 12.9 would work better with Stagemanager anyway. Current multi window in iPadOS is fine for an iPad Air.

Now if you want to replace the 12.9" I would save your money, sell the one you have and upgrade to a 11" or another 12.9" M2 Pro with maybe 256gb storage.

I have a base model iPad Air and for what,I do with it, it is perfect. Great screen, loud stereo speakers, super fast. I would prefer more storage but I don't need it as I use an iPad for entertainment and when I can't use a laptop. It is not my primary device.

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2021
Well guys, I ended up getting rid of my 12.9”. I was going to get a 256GB Air 4, but I found a killer deal on the 64GB model in Starlight. I wanted Blue, but I got a good deal, so… Anyways it was on sale brand new for $499, so with tax it was about $526? Normally it would run you about $599 plus tax, so I wanted to jump on it. I know 64GB isn’t a a lot of storage, but I will make it work. I still have about $600+, so either I’ll buy accessories (still have an Apple Pencil 2) or save that $600 until I can snag a M2 iPad Pro. I should have $700 in total soon, so I’ll be very close the 11”. But I think having an Air 5 and a M2 11” might be overkill.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

redcarlsen

macrumors regular
May 22, 2014
Well guys, I ended up getting rid of my 12.9”. I was going to get a 256GB Air 4, but I found a killer deal on the 64GB model in Starlight. I wanted Blue, but I got a good deal, so… Anyways it was on sale brand new for $499, so with tax it was about $526? Normally it would run you about $599 plus tax, so I wanted to jump on it. I know 64GB isn’t a a lot of storage, but I will make it work. I still have about $600+, so either I’ll buy accessories (still have an Apple Pencil 2) or save that $600 until I can snag a M2 iPad Pro. I should have $700 in total soon, so I’ll be very close the 11”. But I think having an Air 5 and a M2 11” might be overkill.
do you have some very specific use-case for 2 ipads?
i remember way back in the day, people using 2 ipads for dj-ing. but as good as those apps are, that's not even a reason anymore.
I went through a phase of wanting only 1 single device in my life (likely an ipad mini with cellular) but after quite a bit of fussing and trying different things, I found out having a phone and ipad suits me so much better.

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2021
I’m not really sure. It would seem redundant to get the Air 5 and the 11” Pro. I could see having the 12.9” and Air 5, but the others are too much of the same. I would rather got the blue Air 5 with 256GB storage, but we’ll see what happens. Before I sold my 12.9” I realized all I was doing was browsing, listening to Spotify, and making graphics in Affinity Photo. So I don’t really need a Pro.

Reactions: snipr125

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I’m not really sure. It would seem redundant to get the Air 5 and the 11” Pro. I could see having the 12.9” and Air 5, but the others are too much of the same. I would rather got the blue Air 5 with 256GB storage, but we’ll see what happens. Before I sold my 12.9” I realized all I was doing was browsing, listening to Spotify, and making graphics in Affinity Photo. So I don’t really need a Pro.

Meanwhile, I like having that redundancy in case one fails or just so I have another iPad to use untethered when the main iPad needs charging. 😊

Granted, I normally accomplish this by keeping my old iPad when I upgrade.

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2021
Meanwhile, I like having that redundancy in case one fails or just so I have another iPad to use untethered when the main iPad needs charging. 😊

Granted, I normally accomplish this by keeping my old iPad when I upgrade.
That’s an excellent point. I kind of have buyer’s remorse getting the 64GB model Air 5, but I always overthink things until I find something to worry about. However, I have close to $800 already, so I will get a 11” M2 iPad Pro in the very near future. I think it’ll work out for me in the long run. I just love that 10.9”/11” form factor.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
That’s an excellent point. I kind of have buyer’s remorse getting the 64GB model Air 5, but I always overthink things until I find something to worry about. However, I have close to $800 already, so I will get a 11” M2 iPad Pro in the very near future. I think it’ll work out for me in the long run. I just love that 10.9”/11” form factor.

Depending on your usage, 64GB may be workable. Alas, I don’t think I’d go lower than 128GB going forward.

I wanted to install Genshin Impact (~3.5GB initial + ~15GB in-app download) on a backup iPad with 64GB storage and it was difficult freeing up space. The system was taking up ~20GB of space by itself.

Tried deleting comics and apps but the unused space just got reallocated to Other. There’s no way to force garbage collection. Had to do backup-erase-restore to clean up Other and install Genshin.

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2021
I have iCloud 200GB, but the apps were my problem. I cleared up a lot of space before by simply reinstalling iZip. It saved every file I had ever downloaded. I don’t really install much on my iPads. I use the same apps. I’m mostly into graphics/photo editing and I can get by with iCloud with that and minimal internal storage. I didn’t want to go for 64GB, but the Air 5 was about $100 less than Best Buy at $499 instead of $599, so I said well I DID want blue and 256GB but it was just too tempting and left me with a lot of money to go towards a second iPad purchase.

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2021
I got an update. My iPad Air in Starlight with 64GB arrived today, but I didn’t open it. Why? Because I ordered the Blue 256GB model. I just couldn’t justify having only 64GB of storage. Plus now I can use Stage Manager if I want and I don’t have to worry about storage. I’ve never had a iPad with more than 128GB, but mine will be here Tuesday. I feel like I made the right decision. Oh, and I got Best Buy to price match Amazon, so with tax and all, I only paid $737.23 instead of the $799+ tax Best Buy wanted. Saving money is always a good move. 😊

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2021
I know I tend to change my mind a lot due to my OCD, but what would you guys do if you were me? Keep the Air 5 256GB arriving Tuesday or send it back? I do think I’d love it, but the one thing that worries me are the speakers compared to the Pro models, so would returning the Air and patiently waiting on the M2 iPad Pro be a good idea or stick with the Air? Because I have $480 extra and if I had to, I could always cop some AirPods Pro 2’s.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I know I tend to change my mind a lot due to my OCD, but what would you guys do if you were me? Keep the Air 5 256GB arriving Tuesday or send it back? I do think I’d love it, but the one thing that worries me are the speakers compared to the Pro models, so would returning the Air and patiently waiting on the M2 iPad Pro be a good idea or stick with the Air? Because I have $480 extra and if I had to, I could always cop some AirPods Pro 2’s.
It really depends on you. Personally for the cost of the 256gb model I would get the older iPad Pro but wait for the announcement of the M2 version or wait until sales during the end of November. The IPP 2021 has M1 and 8gb ram, all the features you want and should cost the same or less than the air 256gb model. Unless you need 256gb storage.

I have an air 5th gen base model and the speakers on it are very loud. So I don't think it would be a major issue but I have found the speaker volume to vary. I bought a blue model from Amazon and it had low speaker volume. I ordered the purple version direct through apple education store and thee speakers are way better?

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2021
One other option I have is keeping the 256GB Air 5 and saving the $480 and build that up to me getting either an M1 or M2. But I would love it if my Air 5 speakers were loud like the one you received. That blue… Man, it’s just got me excited to see it in person.

Reactions: Technerd108

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
One other option I have is keeping the 256GB Air 5 and saving the $480 and build that up to me getting either an M1 or M2. But I would love it if my Air 5 speakers were loud like the one you received. That blue… Man, it’s just got me excited to see it in person.
I hope so too. The Blue this year is way better than the Air 4. You might just like the Air so much you don't feel the need for anything else. It is a great iPad. You will have to let us know what you think when it arrives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.