Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
I know it is not nearly as expensive as a new phone so wondering if it really helps ? Even if my battery health is not 80% yet but kinda close.

Also will Best Buy and Apple Store replace a old battery if it is not 80% yet if you ask them to and pay for it ?

Reactions: Howyalikdemapls

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013
I’m curious of this as well. I did the speed performance tests and the single core processing score was still what they say are expected for brand new phones but my multi core score was lower. My battery is at 77% and my iPhone 11 is so slow it’s often unusable.

I’m hoping the iPhone 14 will have an option that doesn’t cause migraines because I don’t know how much longer I can keep this POS but I’m hoping a new battery will give me another year if the iPhone 14 still has a ****** OLED screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: max2

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I know it is not nearly as expensive as a new phone so wondering if it really helps ? Even if my battery health is not 80% yet but kinda close.

Also will Best Buy and Apple Store replace a old battery if it is not 80% yet if you ask them to and pay for it ?
If it’s over 80% Apple Care will not cover it. I had mine changed at Apple this past Monday. However, they scratched my phone to heck so they ended up giving me a new phone for the price of a new battery. Lasts all day now without having to charge midday.

• Wow
Reactions: Hal~9000 and max2

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
I’m curious if this as well. I did the speed performance tests and the single core processing score was still what they say are expected for brand new phones but my multi core score was lower. My battery is at 77% and my iPhone 11 is so slow it’s often unusable.

I’m hoping the iPhone 14 will have an option that doesn’t cause migraines because I don’t know how much longer I can keep this POS but I’m hoping a new battery will give me another year if the iPhone 14 still has a ****** OLED screen.

Interesting! Thanks

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
If it’s over 80% Apple Care will not cover it. I had mine changed at Apple this past Monday. However, they scratched my phone to heck so they ended up giving me a new phone for the price of a new battery. Lasts all day now without having to charge midday.

Ok. Thank you.

Reactions: Nhwhazup

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015

If you pay for it they will replace it.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
Apple (and Best Buy) make a profit off from replacing iPhone batteries. Plus, there are some third-party cheap batteries that do not show the battery health correctly. For example, I brought my Apple Watch Series 3 used a year ago. The last owner said they replaced the battery. The battery health is still 100%. I'm very suspicious.

BellSystem

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2022
Boston, MA
If it's over 80% you are wasting your money. That number is also not super accurate. Unless it's not holding a decent charge, I would wait.

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
This is the best case scenario in my opinion.
You should get the battery changed if it doesn’t last as long, and its more than a year old battery. I have noticed severe Degradation in backup after a year in both iPads & iPhones. Now i get a battery change/device swap under AC+ every 6 months lol
doesn’t cost much, and a fresh phone is a fresh phone

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
I’m curious of this as well. I did the speed performance tests and the single core processing score was still what they say are expected for brand new phones but my multi core score was lower. My battery is at 77% and my iPhone 11 is so slow it’s often unusable.

A slow iPhone is often caused by a full memory, have you checked?

revs

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
UK
I don't trust the battery health, my XR was somewhere around 90% I think after 2 years, but the battery life was awful. Paid for a new battery, and it made a huge difference - was getting to the end of the day with loads to spare, rather than having to charge up in the evening.

Apple tried to tell me not to based on the health percentage, but I'm glad I did get the new battery.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
I had Apple replace the battery on a 6 yr old phone. I think it was on 80% and realistically spent its time tethered at home, then car and at work. Inside the jacket in Euro winter it would die after 1 hr. Well now I'm still in the habit of taking the charger to work but never having to plug it in anymore. It's certainly reduced the stress of needing a phone in transit, dropping screen brightness, low power mode on, checking batt status constantly whilst away from means to recharge.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
I changed the battery of my 11 PM late last year and there was a slight bump in the battery life.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I don't trust the battery health, my XR was somewhere around 90% I think after 2 years, but the battery life was awful. Paid for a new battery, and it made a huge difference - was getting to the end of the day with loads to spare, rather than having to charge up in the evening.

Apple tried to tell me not to based on the health percentage, but I'm glad I did get the new battery.
They told me the same thing but I was charging mid day.

Reactions: revs

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
A new battery in an iphone will obviously give you longer battery life in between charges, but it will also technically improve performance as the battery can sustain peak voltages for longer. A battery at 80% starts to get a bit unstable which can cause the phone to shutdown/restart (remember iphone 6 battery gate). My 12 Mini is at 88% and ive had a couple of random restarts lately.

asus389

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2019
USA
I have a 6S which says it has 82% battery health and supports “peak performance”. In reality I get maybe an hour of screen on time from it and the battery is very unstable. I checked the logs and it has 784 cycles on it. So I don’t really trust the “500 cycles 80% 2 years” thing.

Last edited:

LiverbirdBln

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2022
I have the 256 GB model of the 11 pro with only about half the storage used and the same issues with a VERY slow and lagging phone, so it can’t be related to a full memory. Battery health is now down to 79%, but had the same issues when it had 5% more.

Jerhen

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2015
I have the 256 GB model of the 11 pro with only about half the storage used and the same issues with a VERY slow and lagging phone, so it can’t be related to a full memory. Battery health is now down to 79%, but had the same issues when it had 5% more.
I’ve always wondered on the new iPhones what the battery health section says once you get under 80% health. Can you attach a screenshot? Does it say it’s degraded and does it say anything about peak performance? Thanks

LiverbirdBln

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2022
I’ve always wondered on the new iPhones what the battery health section says once you get under 80% health. Can you attach a screenshot? Does it say it’s degraded and does it say anything about peak performance? Thanks
They don’t say much…

7BD5CF92-91F4-43E1-96A9-0CE36F0ED267.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.