Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
Is a Powermac 8100 with 122mb ram going to run OS 9 well? AppleShare version 6 requires OS 9.. It has a 2gb hard drive also....
I would be just using this as a printe server, and a FTP server for hosting a very small number of pics and docuuments...

*Side Note*
I have a PDS accerator card that looks like it fits in a PM 6100. Is there a way to make this work in the PM 8100? Or should I just try and find out? The 8100 series cases are hard to open and close in my opinion.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
PDS and NuBus slots weren't compatible so you shouldn't be able to insert the card at all.

Mac OS 9.0.4 or 9.1 may run, but not particularly well, though I'm thinking that 9.1 and 9.2.x were PCI only.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
The 6100, 7100, and 8100 share a common PDS. If you have an accelerator for a 6100, it will work just fine in an 8100. (Some were marketed as 'for 6100' because they were low profile, where accelerators marketed 'for 7100/8100' were taller and wouldn't fit in the 6100 case.)

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
macEfan said:
Is a Powermac 8100 with 122mb ram going to run OS 9 well? AppleShare version 6 requires OS 9.. It has a 2gb hard drive also....
I would be just using this as a printe server, and a FTP server for hosting a very small number of pics and docuuments...
AppleShare IP 6 is a pretty broad range of software...

First, every version of AppleShare IP 6.x.x comes with a special version of the Mac OS for it... and there are special updates for those versions also.

Versions (and OS)...
AppleShare IP 6.0 (Mac OS 8.1)
AppleShare IP 6.1 (Mac OS 8.5)
AppleShare IP 6.2 (Mac OS 8.6)
AppleShare IP 6.3 (Mac OS 9)
AppleShare IP 6.3.1 (Mac OS 9.0.4)
AppleShare IP 6.3.2 (Mac OS 9.0.4)
AppleShare IP 6.3.3 (Mac OS 9.1)​
Assuming that you are talking about AppleShare IP 6.3.x, yes 122 MB of RAM and 2 GB of drive space should be fine.

When setting up AppleShare IP (and Mac OS X Server) servers I generally either use a different drive (or partition) for the operating system and server software than for file sharing storage.

And yes, 8100 are a pain to get into and out of... I have one with a G3/500 card in it. This system and I have a long history together. At one point it was owned by a client and while working on it I cut my hand. Subsequently I tossed it in the trash... only to call back a couple hours later to have that client fish it out for me (I had another client that needed a system like it). In the end (four years later) it found it's way into my collection and replaced my 7100.

I still keep a box of bandages handy when I have to work on it. :D

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
RacerX said:
AppleShare IP 6 is a pretty broad range of software...

First, every version of AppleShare IP 6.x.x comes with a special version of the Mac OS for it... and there are special updates for those versions also.

Versions (and OS)...
AppleShare IP 6.0 (Mac OS 8.1)
AppleShare IP 6.1 (Mac OS 8.5)
AppleShare IP 6.2 (Mac OS 8.6)
AppleShare IP 6.3 (Mac OS 9)
AppleShare IP 6.3.1 (Mac OS 9.0.4)
AppleShare IP 6.3.2 (Mac OS 9.0.4)
AppleShare IP 6.3.3 (Mac OS 9.1)​
Assuming that you are talking about AppleShare IP 6.3.x, yes 122 MB of RAM and 2 GB of drive space should be fine.

When setting up AppleShare IP (and Mac OS X Server) servers I generally either use a different drive (or partition) for the operating system and server software than for file sharing storage.

And yes, 8100 are a pain to get into and out of... I have one with a G3/500 card in it. This system and I have a long history together. At one point it was owned by a client and while working on it I cut my hand. Subsequently I tossed it in the trash... only to call back a couple hours later to have that client fish it out for me (I had another client that needed a system like it). In the end (four years later) it found it's way into my collection and replaced my 7100.

I still keep a box of bandages handy when I have to work on it. :D

thanks for the information... I might be getting a copy of appleshrare IP 3 or 4 soon... will this cover the tasks I need it for? FTP, print sever, etc?

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
macEfan said:
thanks for the information... I might be getting a copy of appleshrare IP 3 or 4 soon... will this cover the tasks I need it for? FTP, print sever, etc?

AppleShare IP 3 or 4 doesn't exist.

You're 8100 will fly with AppleShare IP 5 and Mac OS 7.6.1.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
macEfan said:
yes, there are both AppleShare 3 and 4!

Yes, but those versions have nothing to do with IP. You cannot use them with anything related to TCP/IP (web, ftp, email). AppleShare versions previous to 5 are only for sharing files and printers between Macs on the same local network. You said:

macEfan said:

AppleShare IP 5 was the first version with FTP and Web services. It requires Mac OS 7.6.

AppleShare 4 far pre-dated AppleShare IP 5, by like 6 or 7 years or something, far before any of those technologies were taken seriously enough to implement.

I use AppleShare IP 5.0.2 with Mac OS 7.6.1 on an 8100/100 server (upgraded to G3 and 10k hard drive)... It is very nice, very stable too. It helps to get a 10/100 ethernet card (yes they do exist for NuBus)... I use it as an FTP and am setting up the Web server part of my website to be hosted from Mac OS 7.6.1 in the upcoming month.

Good luck with that info! I hope that helps you make a sound decision.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
dpaanlka said:
Yes, but those versions have nothing to do with IP. You cannot use them with anything related to TCP/IP (web, ftp, email). AppleShare versions previous to 5 are only for sharing files and printers between Macs on the same local network. You said:

AppleShare IP 5 was the first version with FTP and Web services. It requires Mac OS 7.6.

AppleShare 4 far pre-dated AppleShare IP 5, by like 6 or 7 years or something, far before any of those technologies were taken seriously enough to implement.

I use AppleShare IP 5.0.2 with Mac OS 7.6.1 on an 8100/100 server (upgraded to G3 and 10k hard drive)... It is very nice, very stable too. It helps to get a 10/100 ethernet card (yes they do exist for NuBus)... I use it as an FTP and am setting up the Web server part of my website to be hosted from Mac OS 7.6.1 in the upcoming month.

Good luck with that info! I hope that helps you make a sound decision.
ah, thanks for the info, you win!:D
I had no idea about that...
Yeah, my 8100/110 is going to be nice also...122mb ram, going for 256! 2x internal Hard drives, 2x external... I'm getting a Nubus ethernet card also, although im not sure if its 10/100... may also buy/trade for a g3 PDs accerator card.... we'll see what happens... thanks again for your help.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
AppleShare IP 5 is an excellent choice for this type of thing on slower/older systems.

I have a boxed version of AppleShare Server 3 that I've never used because of the lack of features compared to most servers. That type of server work was actually being done via A/UX rather than AppleShare at the time. It was the fact that Apple was forced to use IBM's AIX for that type of server duty on PowerPC systems (as A/UX was never ported to PowerPC) that made them modify AppleShare to include the IP services.

Oh, and remember that AppleShare IP 5 and later are professional software packages. This means that they require a license string to be installed. I had someone sell me AppleShare IP 5 without providing the license string on ebay at one point. Make sure you get the license string with the software.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
RacerX said:
Make sure you get the license string with the software.

Ah yes I forgot to mention that RacerX thanks for noticing that.

Buy a LEGAL copy of AppleShare IP 5 with the license.

It is one of the only Apple branded products to need one I believe.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
ok, will do... thanks guys... i'll try to snatch a copy of it on ebay...(and will remember to ask if the code is included:D )

MacEffects

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2005
Darkspear
Yeah Mac OS 9.1 worked on my well loaded 6115cd... Well actually I had upgraded it to a G4 500 later, and used Xpostfacto to run OS 10.2 and of course I installed loads of Ram and nice PDS video card. I think AppleShare should be free for the older versions but I am not sure, like I said I had a copy but I lost it :(

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
MacEffects said:
Yeah Mac OS 9.1 worked on my well loaded 6115cd... Well actually I had upgraded it to a G4 500 later, and used Xpostfacto to run OS 10.2 and of course I installed loads of Ram and nice PDS video card. I think AppleShare should be free for the older versions but I am not sure, like I said I had a copy but I lost it :(
yeah, as much as it should be free, its not- yet atleast. Hopefully apple will make all their Pre-OSX stuff freeware...

MacEffects

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2005
Darkspear
dpaanlka said:
On a NuBus 6100? I call a bluff.

And where did you get a 500mhz G4 for a NuBus Power Mac?

Sonnet Crescendo G4 PDS Adapter 500mhz... I didn't mention that it was hacked to have it all and took weeks to do did I? This was my first Mac and I felt obligated to make it useful. Also not sure if you know but Sonnet only made those cards and the 500 G3 and other like models a short time so they are expensive I got the card for $175 on eBay about year ago... And me bluff :rolleyes: well I don't bluff and I know what I am doing trust me;) :D

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Why would I trust that you are the first and only person ever in history to get OS X running on a NuBus Power Mac?

How did you get around the fact that your 6100, even with a Sonnet upgrade, will run on it's original 601 processor until a system extension or other pogram tells it to switch to the upgraded processor? That means you must have somehow gotten Mac OS X to boot and run on a 601 processor. That would be an incredible feat. Why don't you share with the rest of the world how you did this??? Nobody anywhere ever has claimed to do this until just now. Until now, everybody pretty much agreed that OS X will not boot or run on a 601 processor, and required at least a more modern 603 or 604 to do so, as well as a PCI based motherboard.

Sorry if I don't believe you. Show me pics then maybe I will consider believing you. Show me a screen capture of what System Profiler has to say about the NuBus...

Also, I've never ever heard of a 500mhz G4 for NuBus Macs. Sonnet currently makes a 500mhz G3 for NuBus, but they have no mention of the G4. Can you link me to more details?

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
Short of replacing the logic board, how would you get any version of Mac OS X running on a NuBus-based Mac?

The three problems are (in no specific order):
(1) The NuBus architecture, which no version of Rhapsody, Darwin or Mac OS X was designed to support,
(2) the ROM, which is ROM and not firmware,
(3) the PowerPC 601 processor, which you can't get around at startup on those systems (all processor upgrades are handed processing tasks after the system has started booting).​
And then what would you do for video?

To date I haven't seen any instructions on getting Mac OS X on a NuBus system, and as I recall XPostFacto never supported those systems either.

Is there some documentation on this somewhere? Instructions on how it would be done?

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
RacerX said:
Short of replacing the logic board, how would you get any version of Mac OS X running on a NuBus-based Mac?

The three problems are (in no specific order):
(1) The NuBus architecture, which no version of Rhapsody, Darwin or Mac OS X was designed to support,
(2) the ROM, which is ROM and not firmware,
(3) the PowerPC 601 processor, which you can't get around at startup on those systems (all processor upgrades are handed processing tasks after the system has started booting).​
And then what would you do for video?

To date I haven't seen any instructions on getting Mac OS X on a NuBus system, and as I recall XPostFacto never supported those systems either.

Is there some documentation on this somewhere? Instructions on how it would be done?

In other words: not. worth. it.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Yes, how on earth you got a 6100 to boot Mac OS X (even Jaguar) would be very very interesting. I would love to hear this!

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt...

I'm going to assume that he got the model number wrong, and means one of the 6400 or 6500, which CAN run OS X with XPF. That's what you meant, right, MacEffects?

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
But he didn't just say "6100", he said "6115CD" - that is a very specific model number to get messed up. If it were a typo, that means he got 3 numbers wrong, and added two letters at the end, and miraculously the mispelling happened to be an actual product.

He seemed pretty sure of himself.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
dpaanlka said:
He seemed pretty sure of himself.
I did find a reference for a G4 card at 360 MHz for the 61/71/8100 series (but not a 500 Mhz version). On the other hand I didn't find any reference to a G4 L2 card, so that sorta pushes us back towards the 6100 series.

Stridder44 said:
In other words: not. worth. it.
I was more curious in how to get around these issues rather than taking the actual time to get around these issues (I'm quite happy with my 8100 as it is currently set up).

It is still interesting to find out how someone shoe horns an OS into a system like that even if you never plan on doing it yourself (sort of like that person who ran Mac OS X on a PowerPC emulator on a Quadra... it would never be useful, but it was interesting).

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I also am surprised that nobody has gotten OS X to run on a NuBus PMac. MkLinux runs just fine on them, and it's based on the same Mach Microkernel. You'd think someone would have found a hackish way of modifying MkLinux's core to act as the 'bootloader' for Darwin/OS X.

(The other thing I think would be nice is a way to get my DOS Compatibility Card work in MkLinux. It would be fun to run MkLinux and an x86 Linux simultaneously on my 6100/DOS Compatible.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.