Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
dpaanlka said:
But he didn't just say "6100", he said "6115CD" - that is a very specific model number to get messed up. If it were a typo, that means he got 3 numbers wrong, and added two letters at the end, and miraculously the mispelling happened to be an actual product.

He seemed pretty sure of himself.

I belive me meant workgroup Server 6115CD....

maybe he over clock the card...

he did say that it took him a lot of modification to get it to work...

MacEffects

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2005
Darkspear
Stridder44 said:
In other words: not. worth. it.

Okay, the computer is infact the Perfoma 6115cd. For the OS to be supported I had that done from a programming buddy of mine, and to be honest I don't even know how that works. And the G4 Sonnet Card at 400mhz has been overclocked, not by me either to 518mhz but I rounded and said 500mhz in the post... I will when I get time post a picture of this... Now, just because its not supported doesn't mean it can't be done. For expandable Apple said it can only have up to 72mb of ram, but mine has 264mb... I will try and get a hold of my friend and get everyone instructions for this... But to be honest, I am amazing that people are are upset about this :eek:

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
See, the problem is not the fact that it is unsupported. Everybody should be aware that lots of people have gotten 8600s, 9600s, beige G3s, kangas, and all sorts of "unsupported" machines to run Mac OS X.

The problem is the 601 processor and NuBus architechture. Essentially, that makes it very unsupported - to the point of near impossibility (at least, it has been generally assumed by the Mac community until just now). In fact, the maker of XPostFacto clearly states that every machine with a 601 processor will not work, so do not even try.

Unlike 7500s and 8600s, where processor upgrades replace the original processor, the 6100 processor upgrade is an additional card. When you first start a 6100 with a processor upgrade, it still boots and runs on the original 601 processor until it is told "now it is time for you to use the G4."

Please, have your friend tell use how exactly he got OS X to boot with a 601 (which is very different an archaic in comparison to every PowerPC chip that followed). Also, tell us how he then proceeded to get OS X to run on a G4 in the PDS slot.

Those of us who know what we're talking about, are excitedly awaiting to be very amazed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.