Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bertinman

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
Davis, CA
asked my boss about using his lab... no go for now. maybe later.

suggested asking another person in the department to use his two labs :). I'll give it a go once I build up the courage.

- bert

*he uses SETI allot, tried using folding at the same time but they didn't play nice together. anyone have any tricks to spit out before I go research it :) -- he tried upping the priority on F@H and it killed seti completely.

BigJayhawk

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2003
New Jersey
450 to 250 to 210 . . .

Hmmm . . .

So much for being ahead of the leader by 150 positions by next week. I was 450 a day ago, 250 earlier today and now I'm number 210 on the MacRumors list.

Well, as soon as I hack into the Pentagon and switch them all to folding for the MacRumors Team I'll soon take over the folding world!!! (Considering the Pentagon has probably already found the cure for cancer AND extraterrestial life, they won't mind giving up some extra bandwidth for the cause. I wonder if they just TOLD ME what the cure for cancer is if that would make MacRumors automatically win!?!)

Anyway, just had a long day at work so I'm relieving it with an adolescent moment.

Sir Furry Mark

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2003
Out in the sticks...
Originally posted by bertinman
win2k.

and I just found the culprit! on some of the machines I was too hasty and put the flag as -local not -service!

now they work, 95% are fixed. the rest are being used at the moment and I didn't get to fiddle with them yet.

IT! :D

- bert

Yep! That would do it :rolleyes:

Actually, it isn't a bad idea to use the -local as well - in fact, if you use a dual processor machine it is a must.

Tip: Unless your admin has blocked remote registry access, you should be able to use regedt32 to modify the service parameters on the other machines without actually visiting them...

Ni! :D

P.S. If you want to boost the number of Gromacs units you get try adding the -advmethods flag as well... :cool:

bertinman

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
Davis, CA
Originally posted by Sir Furry Mark
Yep! That would do it :rolleyes:

Actually, it isn't a bad idea to use the -local as well - in fact, if you use a dual processor machine it is a must.

Tip: Unless your admin has blocked remote registry access, you should be able to use regedt32 to modify the service parameters on the other machines without actually visiting them...

P.S. If you want to boost the number of Gromacs units you get try adding the -advmethods flag as well... :cool:

doh! too true, too true.

I was just going around to the computers open on my way by the lab. was being paid to do other things :p. Since I am an admin for the comps (hence being able to make services) I'll do that tomorrow to the 5 or 6 comps left to do it to.

speaking of different cores... my home comp just downloaded the 'ca' core and used that for a bit. Is that a gnome@home core or something? I set the config to do only folding.

- bert

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Re: Good News, Bad News.

Originally posted by Fender2112
The Bad: They run Windows :(
thats okay

thats actually what we want. macs are very slow at folding

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Well, only a 7.5k yesterday, but today looks to be 8k+ if we continue the way we're going....:D

Still a fare cry from 11k needed to hold off the Kniggits....

D

jimthorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
At halfway through today, Extreme Overclocking has us at over 5K. We could potentially do another 9K or even 10K today.

Also, we hit the 50K mark for the week! Woo-hoo! :D

Also, keep in mind that we're not only faster than we were a month, or even a week ago, but we're actually accelerating.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Yeah, it is looking good - so the number of active members is up 40% - that's huge. I just hope we can keep them around....and the way things are going - we might break 10k in 24 hours if we're lucky....:D

D

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Well, only a 7.5k yesterday, but today looks to be 8k+ if we continue the way we're going....:D

D

Only 7.5k? When will you be satisfied? We have our third-highest production ever, and you say only! Sheesh......

We're not far off hitting yellow on the EOC stats site. As a team we're going from strength to strength. Anyone think we might actually overtake General Mayhem, who only just recently passed us? :)

pEZ

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by britboy
Only 7.5k? When will you be satisfied? We have our third-highest production ever, and you say only! Sheesh......

We're not far off hitting yellow on the EOC stats site. As a team we're going from strength to strength. Anyone think we might actually overtake General Mayhem, who only just recently passed us? :)

General Mayhem never came to our own forums and taunted us, did they? I'm much more focused on holding off the Knights. Not only are they rude, but they hate Macs. Go from there. :)

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Originally posted by pEZ
General Mayhem never came to our own forums and taunted us, did they? I'm much more focused on holding off the Knights. Not only are they rude, but they hate Macs. Go from there. :)

True, but they did pass us. For that reason alone they are a worthy target :)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
General Mayhem would be great - we've done it before when a team has passed us and we come right back and pass them a month or two later.

Sorry about the 7.5k thing, but if we're going to hold of the Kniggits we need 12k - there's a way to go :D

Oh, and half way through the day and we have 5.1k - we can do 10k today if we get lucky!

D

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
Wow guys - congrats on your position!

Just wondering though...

What is folding?:confused:

I mean, you guys seem to be having so much fun, I thought it might be interesting to try.

Thanks

And remember, just say "it!" to the Knightsi of Ni!

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Well gang, we've cracked 50k! :D

Attachments

• 50k.gif
    50k.gif
    14 KB · Views: 187

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Sorry about the 7.5k thing, but if we're going to hold of the Kniggits we need 12k - there's a way to go :D

D

Ha! We'll need quite a few more record-breaking days before banishing the knights into the realms of obscurity. Hopefully bertiman will get that extra lab or two up and running for us.

:D

MOFS> Check the Folding FAQ. It should have all the answers you're looking for (except the meaning of life).

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by MOFS
Wow guys - congrats on your position!

Just wondering though...

What is folding?:confused:

I mean, you guys seem to be having so much fun, I thought it might be interesting to try.

Thanks

And remember, just say "it!" to the Knightsi of Ni!

Or read the FAQ in this Forum here

Sir Furry Mark

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2003
Out in the sticks...
doh! too true, too true.

I was just going around to the computers open on my way by the lab. was being paid to do other things :p. Since I am an admin for the comps (hence being able to make services) I'll do that tomorrow to the 5 or 6 comps left to do it to.

speaking of different cores... my home comp just downloaded the 'ca' core and used that for a bit. Is that a gnome@home core or something? I set the config to do only folding.

- bert

Yep! FahCore_ca.exe is the Genome core - Despite setting my preference to fah I get these occasionally as well (they will show as project 799 in your stats). Usually means that there wasn't a folding data server available at the time your machine needed a new unit. Don't worry - better to run a gah unit than nothing at all! :cool:

Sir Furry Mark

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2003
Out in the sticks...
Originally posted by pEZ

Hmmmm... they did come to ours however. :rolleyes:

We took a look at theirs in return and decided it wasn't a very nice place for us (yet?) - no real chance of having fun making 'them' fold more...

Edit: I don't hate Macs, but I'm about to port a major application to OSX, so I might change my mind... :rolleyes:

bertinman

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
Davis, CA
Originally posted by Sir Furry Mark
Hmmmm... they did come to ours however. :rolleyes:

We took a look at theirs in return and decided it wasn't a very nice place for us (yet?) - no real chance of having fun making 'them' fold more...

Edit: I don't hate Macs, but I'm about to port a major application to OSX, so I might change my mind... :rolleyes:

personally I think you guys are pretty friendly, very silly, but still friendly. A good dose of friendly competition is always good--for both teams. Look, you got me off my butt and the labs are producing well now!

the guy I was going to ask the use of his closed lab down the hall of me is pretty scary sometimes... give me a week maybe :eek: .

I'm sure you won't hate macs after you port to it. you might not love them, but I think you'll see some of the kinder/nicer things about the system.

- bert

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
the guy I was going to ask the use of his closed lab down the hall of me is pretty scary sometimes... give me a week maybe :eek: .

- bert

I've got an idea. Give me his email address, and i'll write him a nice pursuasive note, telling him exactly why he should let you use those machines for folding ;)

Perhaps if i include some of the text from posts by the KWSN he might realise that holding off such a hoard of buffoons is a worthwhile cause.....

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
If we get 1200 points in the next set we'll break 10k for the 24 hour period.....we'll move from green to yellow on extremeOverclocking stats....:D

Oooh, this is going to be good!

I just wish I could find some more computers.....:(

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.