Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ThinkSecret notes that while the most recent PowerMac revision still sports 970FX processors -- Apple/IBM are still anticipating 970MP based machines in the future... perhaps by year's end.

Previous hints had pointed to multiprocessor 970MP machines coming from Apple based on evidence from developer tools. ThinkSecret points to further room for processor changes noted in Tiger's reporting of processor counts.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
The annoying thing about this 970MP thing is that we, the Mac Rumor community, didn't make it all up. This wasn't a 750GX G3 with Altivec thing that probably doesn't even exist. We saw the CHUD tools, we had TS talking about the G5 roadmap, and now we have more info from Tiger.

I have to believe it is coming, and coming soon.

Oh god. I can't believe I am going to say this. I am going to wait until the next revision. (I think) :)

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2004
UK
Freg3000 said:
The annoying thing about this 970MP thing is that we, the Mac Rumor community, didn't make it all up. This wasn't a 750GX G3 with Altivec thing that probably doesn't even exist. We saw the CHUD tools, we had TS talking about the G5 roadmap, and now we have more info from Tiger.

And we had the IBM misprint on their website and the PDF!!if memory serves me right.
:confused:

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
hopefully its on its way soon, and will make it into large scale production quickly and efficently as well, i know that there will be a lot of people wanting to get these. perhaps an announcement at WWDC and shipping around august?

iJaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2004
Freg3000 said:
Oh god. I can't believe I am going to say this. I am going to wait until the next revision. (I think) :)
And then you're going to wait for Rev. B and so on... ;)

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
gangst said:
And we had the IBM misprint on their website and the PDF!!if memory serves me right.
:confused:

Yeah that too! What could be better than that for confirmation? This thing exists!

B-52 Macer said:
And then you're going to wait for Rev. B and so on... ;)

Nah I'm not going to be that bad. It is one thing to wait for the sake of waiting. It's another to wait for a major architecture change.

I say this was I type on my Rev. A 12" PB.

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
I am confident Steve will be announcing and demoing a top end 3GHZ Quad core machine at WWDC - shipping date is another thing - probably September

Otherwise this latest round of Powermac updates are going to really look mega lame and hit the bottom line hard - Apple cannot have 2.7Ghz single core processors in it's top end machine for the next 12 months while AMD and Intel start pushing Dual cores out the door.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Better Later Than Never

I'm disappointed like others here. But not severely. I'm sure the engineers at both Apple and IBM want to make dual core a reality ASAP. But supply may not be enough to fulfill demand that would result in such a product's release. For now I'll just hang with my antique D2 G5 and work with it until I think I need more speed. So far I haven't found that place yet.

BTW, I love my new Dell 20" and 24" monitors. Sorry Apple. The low prices were just too hard to resist. :p

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
mvc said:
I am confident Steve will be announcing and demoing a top end 3GHZ Quad core machine at WWDC - shipping date is another thing - probably September

Otherwise this latest round of Powermac updates are going to really look mega lame and hit the bottom line hard - Apple cannot have 2.7Ghz single core processors in it's top end machine for the next 12 months while AMD and Intel start pushing Dual cores out the door.

I agree. I can't see what else Apple will have to display at WWDC. My guess is also a quad core Power Mac and possibly a dual core Powerbook. I know that seems early but there's a small chance.

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
The 970MP definately exists, the pdf goes on about how diodes are needed on each core to monitor heat levels that will trigger some kinda of cooling device.
Just to jog people's memory (direct from pdf):

"The dual 64-bit core PowerPC970MPTM (970MP) is the next evolutionary step in the PowerPC 970 family of microprocessors. The higher frequency grade versions of the 970MP consume higher amounts of power than earlier IBM microprocessors do, and that can cause temperature issues. Each 970MP processor core contains a thermal diode used to monitor its operating temperature"

If they can keep it cool, then Steve will for sure include it in the next update

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
mvc said:

You know, AMD and Intel are pushing these cores out the door, but what actual computer manufacturers are putting them in mainstream desktop machines?

If I'm correct, Apple is the only computer company that offers 64 bit processors in half of their desktop machines (iMac and PowerMac, with the Mac Mini and eMac still being 32 bit)

When Apple starts using dual core ships, that's when they'll take off, because they're going to be the only major computer manufacturing offering them as a mainstream product. For now, dual cores are still a "novelty" item, as are 64 bit processors in the x86 world, being picked up by mainly hardcore gamers, and the occasional photo/video professional...

Of course, the display price drops might signify that Apple knows these latest revisions aren't all that great, and are there to sweeten the deal. In which case, I probably wouldn't expect anything until at least October at the earliest...

Azerty

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2004
Macrumors said:
ThinkSecret notes that while the most recent PowerMac revision still sports 970FX processors -- Apple/IBM are still anticipating 970MP based machines in the future...

This is on page 2 (Uncertain news) ? You're very conservative. Borderline shy. :p

azdude

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2003
mvc said:
I am confident Steve will be announcing and demoing a top end 3GHZ Quad core machine at WWDC - shipping date is another thing - probably September.

BINGO! I'll write up his script:

"Two years ago, when we introduced the PowerMac G5, I stood here on this stage and announced that we'd be at 3GHz in a year. As I'm sure you all know (laughter), we weren't able to do that. You see, IBM had a very difficult time getting comfortable with the 90nm manufacturing process, along with the rest of the industry.

Today, however, we're proud to finally bring you the PowerMac you've all been waiting for. But we didn't want to stop at the dual 3GHz I promised would be here last year... we've effectively achieved *twice that* with 2 *dual core* 3GHz G5 processors in what is without a doubt the fastest desktop computer on the planet! (roaring cheers --> IBM exec visit --> Ives video --> kiddies at home watching the live stream pee their pants and run circles around the coffee table)"

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
azdude said:
(roaring cheers --> IBM exec visit --> Ives video --> kiddies at home watching the live stream pee their pants and run circles around the coffee table)"

ROTFLOL at the kiddies. :D

blitzkrieg79

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2005
currently USA
I don't know if the 970MP or GX are real or not but didnt IBM said from the beginning that the 970 architecture will go only up to 2.7-2.8GHZ and that the 3GHZ will be delivered by the Power5 derivative? Those PDF documents or that one GX mistype dont give enough credibility to it actual existance/further development... I guess its still more than what I got on Power5 derivative but as I mentioned earlier, I did hear somewhere from that from the beginning release of the first series of 970 processors that they wouldnt be the chip to hit the 3GHZ mark and so far it proves to be right... Anyway, I hope the next revision of mac processors will pack not only dual core but also an onchip mem controller to further speed things up... And I also wonder how would the 970 react to increase in cache to 1MB from 512kb, I mean the current G5 clock for clock is more or less even with latest AMD offerings (which already posses 1MB) but I am guessing cache increase would put it a bit higher...

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Here's my theory.

I think IBM haven't been able to push a dual-core processor beyond 2.3 GHz or so. So to Apple a dual 2.7 G5 PowerMac is still faster than a 2.3 dual-core G5 PowerMac. And to top that off, pairing two dual-core processors can be the "grandmother of all engineering problems" or however they call it.

There people! Enough with the 970MP talk, it's getting really old. New PowerMacs at WWDC? Sure, in your fantasy world.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
azdude said:
Today, however, we're proud to finally bring you the PowerMac you've all been waiting for. But we didn't want to stop at the dual 3GHz I promised would be here last year... we've effectively achieved *twice that* with 2 *dual core* 3GHz G5 processors in what is without a doubt the fastest desktop computer on the planet! (roaring cheers --> IBM exec visit --> Ives video --> kiddies at home watching the live stream pee their pants and run circles around the coffee table)"
hah, i love these fanboy fantasies. get over it, people; september (paris expo) is the earliest possible date. but more likely: MWSF 2006.

it's gonna be a long long year, i.e. no g5 powerbooks either...

gate

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2003
Canada
mvc said:
I am confident Steve will be announcing and demoing a top end 3GHZ Quad core machine at WWDC - shipping date is another thing - probably September.

Just add DDR 2 and PCI express and I'm a buyer. I should even say a very happy buyer!!!

C'mon Steve ... you can do it. I want a killer beast. Much faster than any Windoze machine.

d.perel

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2005
Hopefully, this will be a nice christmas/chanukah present from steve/ibm to us

d.perel

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2005
Raven VII said:
Here's my theory.

I think IBM haven't been able to push a dual-core processor beyond 2.3 GHz or so. So to Apple a dual 2.7 G5 PowerMac is still faster than a 2.3 dual-core G5 PowerMac. And to top that off, pairing two dual-core processors can be the "grandmother of all engineering problems" or however they call it.

There people! Enough with the 970MP talk, it's getting really old. New PowerMacs at WWDC? Sure, in your fantasy world.
I had no idea! Is it true?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.