Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
CmdrLaForge said:
...My guess therefore: first Mactels at 06-06-06
What is it about this number I find disturbing?

06-06-06

Oh thats right, the coming of the Anti-Mac and the end of the world!
:D

pianodude123

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2005
in the internet
WHY....

DavidCar said:
Didn't Steve say today that there were still new PowerPC systems in the pipeline? So the question of this thread remains, is the 970MP still coming?

I just bought a dual 2.7 powermac...why do they have to do that...ugh its soo annoying!

PPC970FX

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2004
Still comming?

The question we should ask, is why would it not be comming. We know that the chip exsistes, so why would it not come to macs?

1) The chips are just hard to make
2) they cost a lot on acount of new waffers ect
3) IBM dont want to make them, or they can not make them on acount that they just dont have the manpower or waffers since they are pumping out the cells, the xbox cpu and the new 7800.
4) apple dont want to have them in there macs
5) They are to hot for a mac
6) Apple dont want to make a new motherboard just for a chip that will last less then a year.

How knows if they are commin got a mac close to you, but I am rather shure that they are comming.

wms121

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2003
REAL G5's anyone?????

...remember. (spock pls wake up)

...the ORIGINAL problem was that Moto could not produce a 'true G5' designated by IBM's road map ...not the original PPC map...and NOT anything that was on Moto's flimsy excuse for processor capabilities back in 1996..

What was a "true G5" supposed to do?

Lots of what the 970 already does...in 64 bit mode..except that...

..Motorola played games with IBM on network embedding issues...something that never would have effected Apple marketing people....unless they did embedded processing in the OEM market...ok?

..that was the MPC 8560 and MPC 8540 chips...with 64 bit bus internals..and
e500 cores...using the OCEAN network architecture.

Ok.

What would a genuine 64 bit Moto G5 been? A MPC 7550?

Well the dual-processor mentioned above is still on IBM proto list..and they
probably have some OCEAN stuff...as well as the Infiniband chip sets for
telecom embedded ..which is the "we make our big money on stuff" for both Moto and IBM (and the protected market that DoD drools over..)

970's COULD be made to perform REAL G5 stuff using quad 8560's/8540's and
proprietary software...some Infiniband chips and their software...AND...

...the LITHIUM chip technology SGI uses for crossbar memory management..

..put all that on a 4.5-5.5 GHz chip with a 1024-bit internal bus layer..(IBM
has that already as well)..and you have the 'Moto be drooling chip'..they wanted on their roadmap back in 1997-1998.

..so this be dead G5 stuff?

Nope..the embedded market will eventually want something like was mentioned above...but we will have CELL PROCESSING by then.

.and IBM and Intel and Moto will all be BF'n the Apple bitch with the big consumer SPREAD...

...and if AMD produces PPC's they be getting some Steve ass too...

<---sex with computers?...nope...uses too many slipperry parts...cantalopes maybe? Bust a melon Avie...you guys may end up creating NeXt all over again...

MrCommunistGen

macrumors regular
Whoah!

wms121 said:
<---sex with computers?...nope...uses too many slipperry parts...cantalopes maybe?
:eek:

Uhh... am I missing something?... or do we just need to take the enthusiasm down a notch...?

PPC970FX said:
3) IBM dont want to make them, or they can not make them on acount that they just dont have the manpower or waffers since they are pumping out the cells, the xbox cpu and the new 7800.

IBM is making 7800's? I assume this is Nvidia's new 7800 GPU and not something else... can anyone clarify and/or provide a link?

-mcg

wms121

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2003
...of course we all will want "code morphing software"

...in our new POWER PC Cell Processors:

http://www.transmeta.com/pdfs/brochures/tmta_efficeon_tm8800.pdf

...do I think any of this makes sense?

Are little grey aliens running Apple Computer, IBM, the Defense Depts....or

JUST BILL GATES and selected garage bands in lower Seattle...

...film at 11:!!

....yips...psycho typo111

<---knows Elliot...Unix Guru at the Apple Store

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
I didn't follow the last bits ...

The Efficeon uses code morphing software to translate x86 to VLIW.
What if software was compiled natively for the VLIW core?
I wonder what kind of performance gains are possible?

My understanding is the core of a P4 is similar. The Itanic is very similar, it has a VLIW core, Intel calls EPIC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.