Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
I first used iOS over 9 years ago. I used Android like 6 years ago. I am aware of Android's CPU throttling apps. Works better if rooted. For certain Androids, they have power saving mode which throttles down their CPU.

HTC One M7 - 1.7 GHz quad core
Power save - 1.2 GHz quad core

Xiaomi Mi 3 - 2.26 GHz quad core
Three levels of power save -
First two highest was full speed. The extreme was at 1.1+ GHz. I used to keep it at extreme mode when playing games as it kept it cooler but would notice some lag when opening apps or whatever.

The problem isn't Apple throttling the CPU. The problem is Apple not telling us and not giving us an option if we want it throttled or not.

Do we have a choice what clock speed it will hit? Anything from 600 MHz is not liveable for me. That's going back to the previous decade's smartphones like the Bold 9000 and iPhone 3Gs.

For a lithium ion battery to be EOL at 70%-80% is not good news. I can get my iPhone below 10% every day if I wanted to. There is 365 days in a year. And 500 full cycles is ideal temperatures and charging habits. It could be far less than 500. So within a year to 18 months, my iPhone SE becomes the 3Gs.

Loyalists starting to feel like Marsellus Wallace (Ving Rhames) in Pulp Fiction. Bend over and take it. Give us the option for what clock speed we want and if we want it throttled or not. For Apple, it's never about those options. It's more about whether you will like it or not.

Reactions: motulist

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
You think it’s fine for apple to throttle your CPU? As long as they let you know when your phone reaches that point?

Why is that fine? Why should it happen in the first place? Why is it ok for it to happen as long as you are notified that a new battery will resolve the issue?

Fact is, it shouldn’t be happening at all.
Why? Because for whatever reason, the CPUs of certain iPhone models draw more power than certain degraded batteries can handle. There’s no software fix to magically fix that beyond throttling the CPU. A new battery, however, can fix the problem. Simple as that. If it is known that Apple intentionally shipped defective power management chips or defective batteries, then there will be more to this situation. Currently, any attempts to imply defective components are baseless speculation and should be treated as such until concrete evidence is discovered. No reason for people to lose their minds and make stuff up.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I'm mobile right now but go look at the other threads, as well as the Reddit threads on it.

The highest I saw that involved throttling was 92%, but there were many in the 80s.

That’s practically throttling right out of the box. That doesn’t make much sense.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
When a battery capacity falls to 70-80% it’s end of life for a battery - that’s total BS.

What is total BS about it? This is the case across ALL batteries from all manufacturers. There's nothing BS here at all. The 500-cycle rating specifically means that's how many cycles it takes before the battery is around 70% of its original capacity. Would you rather that it be at 0% original capacity at 500 cycles? Is that somehow less BS?
[doublepost=1514089409][/doublepost]
Give us the option for what clock speed we want and if we want it throttled or not. For Apple, it's never about those options. It's more about whether you will like it or not.

Never, ever, ever, ever going to happen. This is not an optional thing that you can just decide to participate in, it's because the battery is no longer at peak health and therefore cannot sustain CPU/GPU usage spikes that could put it below its minimum safe voltage. So your clock speed option does what? Just causes your phone to shut down a bunch? Or you'd rather the battery combust or stop working because you think you need to have a choice at all times on your two year old device with an aging battery?

Apple needs to be more upfront about battery health and its affects on experience, and they need to offer the customer the ability to get or pay for a replacement battery at the very second that the throttling begins. That's all that needs to happen, and that's all that probably will happen. If they're going to be more aggressive in the TDP of their mobile chipsets like they've been since the 6S, they need to follow all the way through with allowing the devices to be serviced to remain at their original performance beyond the 1.5-2 year mark if a user so desires.
[doublepost=1514089770][/doublepost]
That’s practically throttling right out of the box. That doesn’t make much sense.

It's not reliable information, and I highly doubt Apple truly intends to throttle a device with 92% battery health. This is mass hysteria and Apple needs to do more than a 3-line PR response. I wouldn't be surprised if an antennagate-style event is being prepped to both set the record straight on this garbage and offer some more robust solutions for customers like not turning them away from paying for their own battery replacement.

Last edited:

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Common sense trumps fake expert witness.

If batteries are known to degrade about 20% over the useful lifetime than make it 20% bigger to begin with.

What's better for user experience, .5mm thinner phone with throttling or .5mm thicker phone without throttling?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

If batteries are known to degrade about 20% over the useful lifetime than make it 20% bigger to begin with.

What's better for user experience, .5mm thinner phone with throttling or .5mm thicker phone without throttling?
The battery would still be degraded. There might be more capacity, but the degradation would still be there. Talk about common sense...

decafjava

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Oh my. So you’re asking for solution that doesn’t exist yet....quite demanding are we? I think that’s more sad.

https://android.googlesource.com/ke...mentation/devicetree/bindings/arm/msm/bcl.txt

This throttling was present in android for almost 4 years.

Even my tesla does this. Do I want my tesla turning off? No. I’ll take reduced acceleration anyday.

Ooops smoking gun...

Common sense also says the earth is flat and Aussies can't be "Down Under" or they'd fall off...besides your solution sounds like "turning up to 11."

Reactions: akash.nu

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
He is very wrong, I posted GB results on my 6S with the original battery which is at 93% capacity and my scores were nearly identical at 20% or 95%. I also did one at 3% and had the same result. Fake news at it’s best...

Black05Hemi

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2015
I'm interested in what Android manufacturers do differently when for example my old Galaxy S4 still works perfectly fine with the original battery which is 5 years old now. While it would surely benefit from a new battery, it has not needed one for performance reasons.
Right. Because, Samsung doesn't intentionally deceive their customers like Apple does.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Right. Because, Samsung doesn't intentionally deceive their customers like Apple does.

The reality is, all these smart phone manufacturers likely have secrets or tendencies that are not exploited. Apple got exploited even if it was in the fine writing under their license agreements. Samsung has their tendencies to, its just not everybody is aware of what they are.

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010

What o_O That's not how a battery works. The battery will still be degraded and will not handle spikes of power and such as well. It'll simply randomly shut off and on longer because there be more mAh :rolleyes: The real preventive measure here would be to try to improve the batteries from a relatively low 500 cycle count, to the more reasonable 1000 that the iPad and Mac lines have.

Apple should have been more clear on this however, especially when they release fast charging, heres a new feature, but we won't tell you it'll wear out your battery faster which will lead it to be throttled.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
If folks would take the time to research Li-Ion batteries, they wouldn't post as much rubbish.
EOL for Li-Ion is considered to be 80%. That means that after a full charge, the battery capacity is at only 80% of what it's capacity was when brand new. They can be used at 80% but it won't last as long and the voltage will probably be degraded.
And don't be confused when  says 100% charged. They are just saying that no more electrons can be pushed into the battery pack, hence it's at "100%"
What I took from my research is three things
1. At 80% of capacity, EOL has been reached
2. At 2 years, you are probably close to EOL, yes they degraded even when sitting on the shelf.
3. 500 battery charge/discharge cycles, EOL
Any combination of those three will degrade the battery.
These are not our fathers carbon zinc batteries.

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
If folks would take the time to research Li-Ion batteries, they wouldn't post as much rubbish.
EOL for Li-Ion is considered to be 80%. That means that after a full charge, the battery capacity is at only 80% of what it's capacity was when brand new. They can be used at 80% but it won't last as long and the voltage will probably be degraded.
And don't be confused when  says 100% charged. They are just saying that no more electrons can be pushed into the battery pack, hence it's at "100%"
What I took from my research is three things
1. At 80% of capacity, EOL has been reached
2. At 2 years, you are probably close to EOL, yes they degraded even when sitting on the shelf.
3. 500 battery charge/discharge cycles, EOL
Any combination of those three will degrade the battery.
These are not our fathers carbon zinc batteries.
Pretty much all of this. I understand people being upset about seemingly being deceived by Apple, but it really seems to be getting to the point of building a mountain out of a molehill. The one thing I’ve thought during this whole situation is that maybe Apple has designed their chips to be so powerful, that they didn’t take into consideration what power needs would be placed on the battery by all the components (including SoC) as the battery ages. It seems like they could also reduce screen brightness or other such things, so that the power draw would be less; but they probably felt the least impact on the user experience would be to reduce performance.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
Here is a discussion (transcript with link to podcast) of Apple's strategy for battery and power management science over at iMore.

This discussion between various analysts and experts does a great job of explaining the complexities of running a high power processor on a lithium-ion battery. It is a lengthy read, so it is unlikely that the flood of trolls awakened by the hope of controversy will have the attention span to read it / listen to it. However, if you're the type of person who clicked on this thread with a non-clickbait title, you may well find the discussion enlightening.

Last edited:

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
When a battery capacity falls to 70-80% it’s end of life for a battery - that’s total BS.

What I’m I wrong about?
I didn’t say apple and Samsung don’t offer warranty repairs when a battery capacity falls below 80%.

There is a difference between something that is less efficient vs. Classyfying something that is end of life.

You are beyond wrong. When a battery reaches 80% capacity, the chemicals become unstable. This mean thats the you will see massive decrease in performance. Once under 80% health remaining, its not unusual for the health to jump from 80% to 40% to 70% to 30% to 80% all in 30 seconds. In addition, this is when phones may start shutting off randomly at 50% battery remaining. Batteries are only chemicals, plain and simple as that. At 80% the chemicals become unstable and thus the battery is at its end of its life. It can still be used, but your performance will be horrible and have zero reliability.

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
What is total BS about it? This is the case across ALL batteries from all manufacturers. There's nothing BS here at all. The 500-cycle rating specifically means that's how many cycles it takes before the battery is around 70% of its original capacity. Would you rather that it be at 0% original capacity at 500 cycles? Is that somehow less BS?
[doublepost=1514089409][/doublepost]

Never, ever, ever, ever going to happen. This is not an optional thing that you can just decide to participate in, it's because the battery is no longer at peak health and therefore cannot sustain CPU/GPU usage spikes that could put it below its minimum safe voltage. So your clock speed option does what? Just causes your phone to shut down a bunch? Or you'd rather the battery combust or stop working because you think you need to have a choice at all times on your two year old device with an aging battery?

Apple needs to be more upfront about battery health and its affects on experience, and they need to offer the customer the ability to get or pay for a replacement battery at the very second that the throttling begins. That's all that needs to happen, and that's all that probably will happen. If they're going to be more aggressive in the TDP of their mobile chipsets like they've been since the 6S, they need to follow all the way through with allowing the devices to be serviced to remain at their original performance beyond the 1.5-2 year mark if a user so desires.
[doublepost=1514089770][/doublepost]

It's not reliable information, and I highly doubt Apple truly intends to throttle a device with 92% battery health. This is mass hysteria and Apple needs to do more than a 3-line PR response. I wouldn't be surprised if an antennagate-style event is being prepped to both set the record straight on this garbage and offer some more robust solutions for customers like not turning them away from paying for their own battery replacement.

>>Apple needs to be more upfront about battery health and its affects on experience, and they need to offer the customer the ability to get or pay for a replacement battery at the very second that the throttling begins.

It's this. Apple needs to expose some of the self-analytics to the customer, to be able to see the battery life themselves. And give the option to replace the battery, even if the analytics say the battery is within normal life.

My 6 was getting SUPER slow (after the infamous iOS update that "fixed" the early shutdowns I having), and the analytics said my battery was still within life, so they wouldn't let me pay to replace it. I ended up buying a new iphone 8, partly because the phone was so bad, I couldn't wait for the X to come out.

Puddled

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
My word, the twisting and fact shifting on this forum by those whiteknighting Apple is breathtaking. It really is pointless arguing because the protagonists just keep shifting the goalposts.

From this perspective, Apple’s throttling of the battery is an attempt to minimize the number of these side effects and shutdowns. So to a battery scientist, this is perfectly reasonable

The "Scientist" never said that. It has been added on by the Author.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011

Or throttle the CPU out of the box to increase the window of optimal performance? Make it so the iphone runs at a speed that only needs a battery at 80% health?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.