Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
At the same time, looks like dark mode is essentially the leading presented feature for macOS Mojave.

Exactly . . .

I'm sooooo disappointed that it appears Dark Mode will be ignored AGAIN for iOS 12.

___

EDIT: They're doing almost the entire MacOS Keynote in Dark Mode just to rub it in . . .

:eek::(

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's definitely not in iOS 12 or they would have said something like "Dark Mode is also coming to iOS 12"
They would have mentioned it more than just like that if it was really coming to iOS, given how much of a prominence it got when it came to macOS being the leading presented feature for it essentially.

Micool1

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2014
They would have mentioned it more than just like that if it was really coming to iOS, given how much of a prominence it got when it came to macOS being the leading presented feature for it essentially.
On previous years, there were features that were skipped in one OS and got screen time later for another OS and got mentioned as also coming for that previous OS. They could have been keeping it until MacOS because they wanted to make that beautiful Mojave night time comparison.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
That’s not true. Look at smart invert it does the same thing as what your talking about. Just looks like crap.

Smart invert is an accessibility feature, necessary to accommodate those sensitive to white light. Dark mode is really to appease those who want the dark theme.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
On previous years, there were features that were skipped in one OS and got screen time later for another OS and got mentioned as also coming for that previous OS. They could have been keeping it until MacOS because they wanted to make that beautiful Mojave night time comparison.

Dark mode would require full developer cooperation.

The app needs to tell iOS what should be inverted and what shouldn't in order to display properly. If Apple wants proper dark mode, it would need stage time.

Reactions: roncron

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Will be saved for and released with the announcement of the new iPhone. I'm calling it now.

jonhcox

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
North Carolina
Or it's a 12.1 feature. I agree that the OP's post shows the potential of not having it but Apple is also very interested in how it looks across the device platform. The OLED iPhones will display it to the best ability while LCD iPhones will suffer by comparison. Also dark mode on an LCD doesn't do much for battery saving either so that doesn't offer any benefit for iPhone 8 and earlier phones. It may be that when they release the 2018 iPhones and the rumored one with the improved mLCD that they release it then. Maybe the mLCD performs better with blacks/contrast than current Apple LCD equipped iPhones. Who knows. I've resigned myself to not be disappointed with that feature omission. That said I am very happy with the performance gains across older devices.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Has to be coming to iOS. Apparently not today or with iOS 12. But with 12.1-12.4 or 13. It's coming. there's no way tvOS, WatchOS and MacOS all have a dark mode or something close to it and iOS doesn't have one coming. It may have been moved to iOS 13 with the revamped home screen, etc.

Hmm, good point. If before iOS 13, then maybe 12.3, since the third version of each major iOS release seem reserved for the most "features".

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
What I found interesting was that the News app they demo'd during the Keynote address on iOS 12 was in dark mode.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Will be saved for and released with the announcement of the new iPhone. I'm calling it now.
We can hope for at least that. Last year similar kind of sentiments didn't end up holding up even with the launch of a much different iPhone X.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Hmm, good point. If before iOS 13, then maybe 12.3, since the third version of each major iOS release seem reserved for the most "features".

iOS 13 at best. Dark mode requires full developer cooperation (like during WWDC) and building those attributes into apps. It's not something that Apple goes "voilà, we're introducing dark mode."

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
N
iOS 13 at best. Dark mode requires full developer cooperation (like during WWDC) and building those attributes into apps. It's not something that Apple goes "voilà, we're introducing dark mode."
not true. How is that when eclipse on a jailbroken iPhone works perfect? But Apple can’t do it without everyone updating there apps?

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Like others have said, since Mojave officially has Dark Mode, I can't imagine it'll too much longer before iOS gets it as well.

I'm feeling the same thing. I'd be surprised if it showed up before iOS 13 with one caveat:

In the past, we've seen some key features of iOS not mentioned at WWDC as they would reveal too much about the upcoming phone hardware. It's possible they might be holding back on talking about it until the larger array of OLED phones are announced in a few months. Unlikely, granted, but if it's going to come out before iOS 13, I think that's when it would make its debut.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Like others have said, since Mojave officially has Dark Mode, I can't imagine it'll too much longer before iOS gets it as well.

I'm feeling the same thing. I'd be surprised if it showed up before iOS 13 with one caveat:

In the past, we've seen some key features of iOS not mentioned at WWDC as they would reveal too much about the upcoming phone hardware. It's possible they might be holding back on talking about it until the larger array of OLED phones are announced in a few months. Unlikely, granted, but if it's going to come out before iOS 13, I think that's when it would make its debut.

True. And since mostly just cosmetic, not much risk in testing dark mode only internally at Apple.

This is interesting

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
If macOS is getting it, maybe iOS will get it. Just later
This is my thinking exactly. They might be building in the functionality and figuring it out. And with macOS and iOS able to be more easily ported to each other, it's only a matter of time IMO. I think next year could be a redesign year for the look of iOS so bringing it out then makes more sense instead of having to do it twice.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
N

not true. How is that when eclipse on a jailbroken iPhone works perfect? But Apple can’t do it without everyone updating there apps?

From the Eclipse developer:

"Many issues with third party apps. Many apps don't adhere to Apple's UIKit design. Support must be explicitly written for these apps. I promise to work on more third party app support in the very near future!"

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
Maybe not after all

Source: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/uikit/uiuserinterfacestyle?changes=latest_minor

Capture.PNG

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014

Came here to mention this. It'll probably be the little bonus feature that Apple always adds to iOS when they have their annual iPhone release (12.1/12.2's feature being dark mode). As for OP's Xcode theory, Xcode usually gets updated with new iOS releases so it's completely reasonable to assume that they'd update Xcode towards the end of the year with the new iPhone models + the necessary tools to develop for iOS dark mode.

Reactions: Sdtrent
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.