Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
Yes. I split the Fusion drive shortly before install, formatting the now split HDD with HFS+, the SSD obviously formatted with APFS.

Not that I care much for the HDD speed, I kept it mainly to avoid the iMac being unhappy. From what I read, you'd need to remove the SATA cable altogether, so why not leave it? I may use it for keeping additional backup copies of important work next to my external USB time machine backups.
On iMacs with a 128GB SSD blade, one can even
  • split the FD,
  • format it with hfs+,
  • format the SSD blade with APFS,
  • install macOS there,
  • copy the user folder to the HDD,
  • move the user folder to the HDD.
That way, the small 218GB SSD will not grow any more and 128GB are largely enough for macOS an the programs.
You get a really flying iMac without need to open the glued screen.

SomeSwede

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2009
Land of ice and snow.
I am contemplating upgrading my 2013 27" iMac.

Is it correct that if i replace the hard drive i will have to connect a temperature sensor otherwise the fans will run at full speed?

But if i remove it completely, cable and all, there will be no issues?

At the moment i am running Sonoma thanks to OCLP, has anyone experience running it with an upgraded NVMe drive? I take it that there ought to be no issues?

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
I am contemplating upgrading my 2013 27" iMac.

Is it correct that if i replace the hard drive i will have to connect a temperature sensor otherwise the fans will run at full speed?

But if i remove it completely, cable and all, there will be no issues?

At the moment i am running Sonoma thanks to OCLP, has anyone experience running it with an upgraded NVMe drive? I take it that there ought to be no issues?
Have you got a fusion drive?
With a 128GB SSD?

osantiago774

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2021
My internal 128SSD drive is bad and I installed a new 2TB SSD 2.5 drive but my 2015 iMac freezes during power save mode. I run the caffeinate mode to keep it alive . Is their a way to disable the iMac from using the 128 GB SSD drive ( similar to disabling a drive on a PC in the BIOS) ?

Removing this this 128GB SSD drive will require a huge disassembly project

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
My internal 128SSD drive is bad and I installed a new 2TB SSD 2.5 drive but my 2015 iMac freezes during power save mode. I run the caffeinate mode to keep it alive . Is their a way to disable the iMac from using the 128 GB SSD drive ( similar to disabling a drive on a PC in the BIOS) ?

Removing this this 128GB SSD drive will require a huge disassembly project
Yes, but if your SSD is bad, you ought to do it.
The bad SSD impacts badly the boot time. The EFI tries for a long time to access that drive and only give up after a couple of minutes.
When you have the logic board open, you the can retrofit a good NVMe SSD that will really boost your system.

Reactions: mbosse

mbosse

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2015
Vienna, Austria
Yes, but if your SSD is bad, you ought to do it.
The bad SSD impacts badly the boot time. The EFI tries for a long time to access that drive and only give up after a couple of minutes.
When you have the logic board open, you the can retrofit a good NVMe SSD that will really boost your system.

This. If your internal SSD is bust, you should take it out. Otherwise, it will always impair your iMac.

Reactions: osantiago774

SomeSwede

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2009
Land of ice and snow.
I am thinking about getting the upgrade kit from OWC.

It is a bit more expensive but without the need for an adapter there should be one less point of failure.

Anyone with experience?

benyo38

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2024
France
hello,

Sharing data from an iMac I've just bought

Blade only - no Fusion Drive

Device: Retina 5K, Early 2019 - (i9-9900, 3.6 Ghz - Vega 48 pro)
Blade upgrade: 512GB -> 2 TB Samsung 980 pro
HDD upgrade: N/A
CPU upgrade: N/A
Speed test: 3076 MB/s read, 2964 MB/s write
Adapter: unknown
Heatsink: unknown
Issues after fresh OS install: the sleep issue is present, bootcamp working fine

I attached NVMExpress data

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2024-04-06 à 10.21.49.png
    Capture d’écran 2024-04-06 à 10.21.49.png
    448.8 KB · Views: 19

benyo38

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2024
France
thks for your reply

i do see this in the system

the SSD FW version is :5B2QGXA7

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2024-04-06 à 11.16.24.png
    Capture d’écran 2024-04-06 à 11.16.24.png
    147.4 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: curnalpanic

benyo38

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2024
France
Is someone has the same setup but with sleep running fine?

on a side, I'm wondering on whether it is possible to update it with a 4TB WD SN 850X ? is someone tried a 4TB blade SSD in an iMac 2019?

thks !

benyo38

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2024
France
I am thinking about getting the upgrade kit from OWC.

It is a bit more expensive but without the need for an adapter there should be one less point of failure.

Anyone with experience?
pay attention, this is not compatible with bootcamp while using conventional NVMe works

Notes:
  • Not compatible with Apple Boot Camp when installed in the following hosts: iMac14,2; iMac14,3 iMac15,1 (Late 2014); iMac16,2; iMac18,2; iMac18,3; iMac19,1; iMac19,2
  • The host computer must be updated over an Apple factory SSD to the latest OS available before installing this drive.
  • Aura Pro X2 Gen4 NVMe SSDs can only be installed in 21.5-inch iMac models that came with a factory-installed SSD or Fusion drive. Hard Drive (HDD) only machines can be upgraded with an OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G SSD or OWC Mercury Electra 6G SSD.

• Wow
Reactions: rin67630

SomeSwede

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2009
Land of ice and snow.
I uninstalled Bootcamp several years ago, so that should not be an issue. I got PC's if i ever need a Windows specific application.

My primary concern is if the fans will run at full blast if i remove the HDD and if OCLP will work.

benyo38

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2024
France
Is someone has the same setup but with sleep running fine?

on a side, I'm wondering on whether it is possible to update it with a 4TB WD SN 850X ? is someone tried a 4TB blade SSD in an iMac 2019?

thks !
anyone has comment on that?

fmnamado

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2021
Hello,
I have a iMac 2019 27" with 1TB fusion drive.

As I have been documenting on this thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/imac19-storage-upgrade.2420626/
I plan to buy a PCI NVMe and keep it externally for the time being, and then, when I can, put it internally with the adapter.

I was inclined into using Sabrent Rocket NVMe (blue one) but it seems it was superseeded by SABRENT 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280 SSD (brown/golden).

1. Has anyone used this yet?
  2. Can I use this PCI4.0 in my iMAc (I think it is PCI 3.0)?
  3. What would be the model you would advised in order to be the most compatible with less problems? No hibernation and similar ones? I prefer stability (first!) and price (second) over performance.
The idea is to chose a model and wait for a promotion, maybe black friday, as right now I have some medium consumer grade SSD to work every day.

Thank you!

judethat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2007
I used an external SSD drive on my 2013 iMac which has 24GB RAM already, its given new life to it, without taking it apart and I am happy with it as it is now, its super quick now.

fmnamado

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2021
Thank you for your opinion, but that I already know and have it that way.

But internally pci is better, because i use a lot USB peripherals, and would have to share bandwidth.

So if someone can answer my questions on previous post, I would be grateful.

judethat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2007
Thank you for your opinion, but that I already know and have it that way.

But internally pci is better, because i use a lot USB peripherals, and would have to share bandwidth.

So if someone can answer my questions on previous post, I would be grateful.
I was not responding to your query, sorry, as this was a general thread was just posting my experience- hope you find your solution.

fmnamado

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2021
What would be the most recommended and most available SSD blade to use inside of my iMac 2019?

I don’t understand the question about sleeping and crashing, I would like to avoid this problem by choosing something that doesn’t bring problems.

Can someone help me?

Ty

mohammad.golche

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2021
I'm confused and need some guidance. I have a 21-inch 2019 iMac A2116 MRT42 with an Apple Fusion Drive that seems to be running slow. I'm planning to upgrade to an NVMe SSD using an adapter. I'm looking for recommendations on the best brand and model to use to avoid any compatibility issues. Some friends have mentioned that their systems have experienced panics after using the NVMe SN770 or other WD models for a few months. Please provide me with a recommendation for an NVMe upgrade. Speed and model are not that important to me. My main goal is to have a seamless experience using the adapter and not have any problems after a few months.

Has anyone used this Lexar SN620 nvme model? Do you think it's compatible with a 2019 iMac?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.