Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

mohammad.golche

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2021
I'm confused and need some guidance. I have a 21-inch 2019 iMac A2116 MRT42 with an Apple Fusion Drive that seems to be running slow. I'm planning to upgrade to an NVMe SSD using an adapter. I'm looking for recommendations on the best brand and model to use to avoid any compatibility issues. Some friends have mentioned that their systems have experienced panics after using the NVMe SN770 or other WD models for a few months. Please provide me with a recommendation for an NVMe upgrade. Speed and model are not that important to me. My main goal is to have a seamless experience using the adapter and not have any problems after a few months.

Has anyone used this Lexar SN620 nvme model? Do you think it's compatible with a 2019 iMac?

Last edited:

Arak

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2017
Hi, I wonder if
* for iMac 27" late 2013, A1419, EMC 2639 which was ordered that time with one single internal mass storage - the 500GB blade SSD, latter one still working as boot, system drive and as a storage of lot of user stuff (however not every user stuff).
* the standard power and SATA cables* will work same well as cable/adapter this kind but intended for iMac 27 late 2013 (either branded by Apple or some 3rd party)

*) in mind those cables offered and purchased for computers running under Windows/Linux and other class devices with the use of SATA storage; connectors fitting in the main concern.

iMac should receive coming months two major hardware upgrades (CPU + blade SSD) + optionally one minor upgrade (SATA SSD, 2.5 inch). Mentioned SATA SSD will be this iMac's very first drive populated to its 3.5 inch bay and is planned to be used only for storage of user data. I guess in case presented above the iMac has neither mounting brackets nor the cabling inside, so both are to be purchased if one plans to conduct mentioned upgrade. Any experiences in this matter?

Secondary question, will every 2.5 inch to 3.5 inch adapter frame be suitable for the use in this case? I mean the location of mounting screws; maybe some other points matter here too.

By the way, me was luck to find this iMac A... and EMC number. However several tutorials, and hardware component offers use for Mac-family devices the numbers starting with M. What kind of number are these and how to find it for own iMac?

Update, Apr. 27th
Well, Apple-original SATA+Power-cable found in regional market of used spare parts at good price and of good condition physically. This way no needs exist any more to look for other cable builds.
Regarding mounting brackets: those taken from iMacs of which other build years will fit 27 inch late 2013 well?
Do the 2.5 inch form-factor SSDs attach to iMac Apple original SATA+Power cable in same direct way (no additional adapter) as those drives populated to iMac 27 late 2013 by Apple? As of time being I consider the use of form-factor adapter 2.5 to 3.5 inch which is free of electrical connectors - just converting the physical size 2.5 to 3.5 and attaching the new SSD (2.5 inch) directly to Apple-original SATA+Power cable.

Last edited:

mohammad.golche

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2021
Blade + HDD upgrade

Device: iMac19,2 2019 – 21.5” - MRT42LL/A (3Ghz i5-8500, Fusion HDD+32GB blade)
Blade upgrade: 32GB Blade -> 500GB Lexar nm610 (up to 2100MB/s Read & up to 1600MB/s Write)
HDD upgrade: 1TB SATA Apple HDD -> 180GB SSD Intel pro
Adapter: Chinese model
Speed test
: 1400 MB/s read, 700 MB/s write (Blackmagic Disk Speed Test)

Issues after fresh OS install: The write speed of this Blade SSD randomly fluctuates between 30MB/s and 700MB/s for no apparent reason. This erratic behavior makes the overall SSD read/write performance slower than expected

Does anyone have a solution for this erratic SSD write speed?

I'm looking for a low-risk upgrade option, and I'm considering the Samsung 970 EVO. Is it a good and reliable choice for long-term performance?

Last edited:

mbosse

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2015
Vienna, Austria
Blade + HDD upgrade

Device: iMac19,2 2019 – 21.5” - MRT42LL/A (3Ghz i5-8500, Fusion HDD+32GB blade)
Blade upgrade: 32GB Blade -> 500GB Lexar nm610 (up to 2100MB/s Read & up to 1600MB/s Write)
HDD upgrade: 1TB SATA Apple HDD -> 180GB SSD Intel pro
Adapter: Chinese model
Speed test
: 1400 MB/s read, 700 MB/s write (Blackmagic Disk Speed Test)

Issues after fresh OS install: The write speed of this Blade SSD randomly fluctuates between 30MB/s and 700MB/s for no apparent reason. This erratic behavior makes the overall SSD read/write performance slower than expected

Does anyone have a solution for this erratic SSD write speed?

I'm looking for a low-risk upgrade option, and I'm considering the Samsung 970 EVO. Is it a good and reliable choice for long-term performance?
That seems to be an issue with that specific SSD model. Also on Reddit there are reports of the same behaviour like you experienced, with no solution except to look for another drive. The Samsung 970 Evo seems like a reliable drive for the iMac, but I'd suggest collecting a bit more (recent) feedback as my last iMac update is almost 2 years back...

Good luck!

mohammad.golche

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2021
That seems to be an issue with that specific SSD model. Also on Reddit there are reports of the same behaviour like you experienced, with no solution except to look for another drive. The Samsung 970 Evo seems like a reliable drive for the iMac, but I'd suggest collecting a bit more (recent) feedback as my last iMac update is almost 2 years back...

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply. Do both the 970 evo and 970 evo Plus models work well on the iMac 2019? Are there any performance differences between them on the device, and which one is more recommended?

I did some more research and found on Reddit that some users have reported issues with the 970 EVO (or Evo Plus) trimming with iMac 2019, and that it can sometimes take up to 5 minutes to boot up!!
I'm even more confused now. I'm probably going to have to go with the WD , but I've also heard of panic boot issues with some of their models, like the sn770!! What about the sn750 or sn550? Are there any issues with those?

Last edited:

mohammad.golche

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2021

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply. Do both the 970 evo and 970 evo Plus models work well on the iMac 2019? Are there any performance differences between them on the device, and which one is more recommended?

I did some more research and found on Reddit that some users have reported issues with the 970 EVO (or Evo Plus) trimming with iMac 2019, and that it can sometimes take up to 5 minutes to boot up!!
I'm even more confused now. I'm probably going to have to go with the WD , but I've also heard of panic boot issues with some of their models, like the sn770!! What about the sn750 or sn550? Are there any issues with those?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.