Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
To address our customers’ concerns, to recognize their loyalty and to regain the trust of anyone who may have doubted Apple’s intentions, we’ve decided to take the following steps:

• Apple is reducing the price of an out-of-warranty iPhone battery replacement by $50 — from $79 to $29 — for anyone with an iPhone 6 or later whose battery needs to be replaced, starting in late January and available worldwide through December 2018. Details will be provided soon on apple.com.
  • Early in 2018, we will issue an iOS software update with new features that give users more visibility into the health of their iPhone’s battery, so they can see for themselves if its condition is affecting performance.
Nicely done.

Reactions: sax6575

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Apple's response or the built in battery monitoring?
For the replacement.
My 6+ only charges to 56% capacity and they would not let me pay the $79 for battery replacement.
(I recently upgraded as I wanted some newer features the 6+ was lacking.)

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
This is great news - way to go Apple. I just hope that I don't have to fight with some moron genius who refuses to help me when I go in to replace the battery on my 6S+ next month.

Reactions: mazdamiata210

MachCrit

Suspended
Jun 5, 2017
Lurking About the Planet
This is great news - way to go Apple. I just hope that I don't have to fight with some moron genius who refuses to help me when I go in to replace the battery on my 6S+ next month.

How can a Genius be a Moron at the same time? Explain that.

Good move by Apple. Issue off of the table, and makes iPhone ownership far more appealing with little loss of revenue. Helps secondary market too.

Reactions: TokMok3

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
How can a Genius be a Moron at the same time? Explain that.

My wife's 3 year old 6+ is randomly unable to hold a charge. A couple of months ago, went in to get the battery replaced (fully expecting to pay the $79) and the "genius" took my phone to the back and came back stating that according to his diagnostic test rig, the battery was fine and there was nothing I could do or show to convince him to change the battery.

sevvere

Suspended
Oct 20, 2017
For the replacement.
My 6+ only charges to 56% capacity and they would not let me pay the $79 for battery replacement.
(I recently upgraded as I wanted some newer features the 6+ was lacking.)

Bingo.

It appears all Apple has done in this regard is reduce the price of an out of warranty battery replacement that Apple will refuse to do to begin with if Apple deems your device does not meet their requirements for a replacement

Notice how their response says “if ... needs to be replaced.”

They get to decide if it needs to be replaced

As far as features in iOS to inform people of their battery status and performance, why wasn’t this there to begin with?

Because Apple didn’t want you to know.

This is damage control and more virtue signaling from Apple and people will continue to be fooled just like they are fooled by Apples other virtue signaling like threatening to boycott Georgia over bathrooms or whatever issue it was while celebrating Saudi Arabia store openings.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
"It should go without saying that we think sudden, unexpected shutdowns are unacceptable. We don’t want any of our users to lose a call, miss taking a picture or have any other part of their iPhone experience interrupted if we can avoid it."

"We now believe that another contributor to these user experiences is the continued chemical aging of the batteries in older iPhone 6 and iPhone 6s devices, many of which are still running on their original batteries."

Translated: We skimped on the battery quality and it ****ed us over, we tried to cover it up, but unluckily you noticed. Have some free bumper cases.

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
My old iPhone 7+ battery went to **** on iOS 11. Almost overnight it would no longer hold a charge all day. Now I found out today my daughters iPhone 7 battery is as **** as mine was. Will be getting this replaced under warranty ASAP.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Limited time only (ends in 2018) and your battery must be below "80% health" according to Apple's test.

And what’s wrong with that? If your battery is more than 80 percent healthy you don’t need a new battery and you aren’t being throttled so there is no issue.

Apple did a good thing today, everyone is happy, move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.