Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
From the link ...

"Apple is reducing the price of an out-of-warranty iPhone battery replacement by $50 — from $79 to $29 — for anyone with an iPhone 6 or later whose battery needs to be replaced, starting in late January and available worldwide through December 2018. Details will be provided soon on apple.com."

The "details" will most likely be what i guessed, must fail the battery test before replacement.

Yes, I don't disagree with you. A lot of phones won't meet (or, rather, fail) that test. If that's the case, this will backfire BADLY. People will make Genius appointments, wait because the Genius is always 20-30 minutes late around here at least, and then be sent away empty handed. People will be ROYALLY pissed off.
[doublepost=1514510543][/doublepost]
I went back and saw this. “for anyone with an iPhone 6 or later whose battery needs to be replaced, starting in late January and available worldwide through December 2018. ”

Says nothing about needing to be under 80% though that’s the same standard on the MacBooks.

Yes. As I just posted above, gif that's how it works, this could be a train wreck.

Ash Pole

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
This is great news - way to go Apple. I just hope that I don't have to fight with some moron genius who refuses to help me when I go in to replace the battery on my 6S+ next month.
Sorry to inform that the 6s is excluded from the $29 battery upgrade....it's only for the 6 and older models.

Reactions: anonymous guy

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
So drop the price on batteries as a means to head off the coming storm of lawsuits and everybody eats it up. Free candy for everybody!!!! Great job Apple! /s

Problem fixed, lawsuits go away until the next time Apple gets caught. Lesson learned by Apple, don't be so obvious next time (and there will be a next time).

Sounds about right.

I think that this will not end with just replacing the batteries... There are millions of phones out there, it seems that this wagon is in motion and getting more speed as the days go by, and it will difficult to stop it.
[doublepost=1514525573][/doublepost]
Apple did the right thing by implementing the battery optimizing protocol in iOS and again is doing the right thing with this discount on replacement batteries. Between my wife and kids we have 5 iPhone 6's some of which appear sluggish so we'll get them checked out. Another 3 years of life for $29, I'm satisfied.

This devices refuse to die, and they keep going and going. That's the reason I have not upgraded my iPad Retina and my iPad mini retina. I will be very happy if they fix iOS 11, that will speed up all my devices.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
This was a PR move that will satisfy most people that don't frequent forums or stay up to date on what is truly happening..I still say this was a good start in the right direction BUT like a few members have pointed out they have not apologized nor taking responsibility in the throttling down of older phones..

https://www.apple.com/iphone-battery-and-performance/

"We’ve been hearing feedback from our customers about the way we handle performance for iPhones with older batteries and how we have communicated that process. We know that some of you feel Apple has let you down. We apologize. There’s been a lot of misunderstanding about this issue, so we would like to clarify and let you know about some changes we’re making."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.