Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperOperator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2019
I just had a chance to play with 11 Pro and I must say that for the first time I felt some kind of pressure in my eyes and on the spot right between my eyebrows. I've never used a phone with OLED screen, at least not this extensively like this one (played with it for about 2-3h). I'm starring at my PC quite a lot at work and when I get home so maybe I'm just experiencing eye fatigue or my eyes need some time to adjust to OLED screens... I didn't get a headache though.

My intention was to buy that 11 Pro and now I'm having second thoughts.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
If you buy it, you're going to regret it (or return it). Lots of people are sensitive to the flickering of iPhone OLED screens and you discovered you're one of them. Trying to ignore the symptoms and "muscling through it" in the hopes that maybe you'll get used to it is a losing proposition. You'll only get more sensitive to it.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
Depending on where you live, at least here in the states you have until Jan 8th to return the phone if you buy from an Apple Store.

I used to have similar symptoms and always wondered if it really was pwm sensitivity. I decided I’d try one last time and I’m a week in with no more eye strain, sensitivity, etc. There are long existing threads about it but in honesty, it’s mostly just the same members discussing it. I’d gather less than 1% of the forums suffer from it. I don’t have proof of the 1%, but it seldom even discussed anymore.

There are actually numerous members and even tech bloggers who, while they couldn’t use the X or Xs models due to pwm sensitivity, can now use the Pro models. Give it a try and don’t let it get in your head. I’m loving my ProMax and to think a month ago I thought I’d never be able to use it.

SuperOperator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2019
Thanks, both of you!
@ARizz44 So, your eyes definitely got used to OLED. A similar thing happened to me with my Samsung QLED 55'' TV, of course, it's not an OLED TV but I have had similar symptoms and after a week or so all went away.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
Thanks, both of you!
@ARizz44 So, your eyes definitely got used to OLED. A similar thing happened to me with my Samsung QLED 55'' TV, of course, it's not an OLED TV but I have had similar symptoms and after a week or so all went away.
In my case it’s tough to say. I went into the whole ordeal being very well aware of the OLED PWM strain and it’s as if I was almost expecting it to happen. This time, I just relaxed. I didn’t overuse my phone or focus every second trying to see if something bugged me. I just gradually used it like I typically would and I’ve had no issues. This has been a long time coming. There are others here who legitimately cannot tolerate the PWM in any of the Apple OLED phones and their issues are very real. I believe for me, I created much of my own dilemma mentally.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
If you buy it, you're going to regret it (or return it). Lots of people are sensitive to the flickering of iPhone OLED screens and you discovered you're one of them. Trying to ignore the symptoms and "muscling through it" in the hopes that maybe you'll get used to it is a losing proposition. You'll only get more sensitive to it.

A lot of people ? It’s not a lot of people... it’s a small fraction of the population that it affected by it.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
If you do get it, maybe try it with a blue light filter screen protector?

https://www.zagg.com/en_us/glass-el...GznWsLHswlWNOpILro2CtxgfpZqqAS28aAtCMEALw_wcB

FYI Note: If the brightness of the display remains at 50% or higher, there will be no PWM flickering.
This is false. Pwm is used to dim the screen, and it happens from 99% and down. Even then, some people can notice it at 100%. I unfortunately suffer from pwm, which is why I’m still using an 8+. Pwm is something that you can not just get used to. My only hope is micro led screens don’t use pwm. There are a few android phones that offer dc dimming (OnePlus 7 series)
[automerge]1576352720[/automerge]
A lot of people ? It’s not a lot of people... it’s a small fraction of the population that it affected by it.
It’s not the majority for sure, but there are a good deal of people suffering who have no clue it’s from their phones. An eye dr commented on here that the first thing he asks people who come in with sudden and unexplained headaches and eye strain is if they recently got a new phone.
[automerge]1576352749[/automerge]
In my case it’s tough to say. I went into the whole ordeal being very well aware of the OLED PWM strain and it’s as if I was almost expecting it to happen. This time, I just relaxed. I didn’t overuse my phone or focus every second trying to see if something bugged me. I just gradually used it like I typically would and I’ve had no issues. This has been a long time coming. There are others here who legitimately cannot tolerate the PWM in any of the Apple OLED phones and their issues are very real. I believe for me, I created much of my own dilemma mentally.
Good deal! Hopefully it works out

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
This is false. Pwm is used to dim the screen, and it happens from 99% and down. Even then, some people can notice it at 100%. I unfortunately suffer from pwm, which is why I’m still using an 8+. Pwm is something that you can not just get used to. My only hope is micro led screens don’t use pwm. There are a few android phones that offer dc dimming (OnePlus 7 series)
[automerge]1576352720[/automerge]

It’s not the majority for sure, but there are a good deal of people suffering who have no clue it’s from their phones. An eye dr commented on here that the first thing he asks people who come in with sudden and unexplained headaches and eye strain is if they recently got a new phone.
[automerge]1576352749[/automerge]

from what I understand this began with the first OLED on the X.

https://blog.elcomsoft.com/2018/10/...sabling-iphone-xs-and-xs-max-display-flicker/

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
This is what comes to my mind when I hear of people complaining about “pwm strain.”

Reactions: Bethanie21

FlippyGonnaSnap

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2019
For me it has massively improved over time.

The thing is though, I’m not normally sensitive to OLED in the slightest, I had a Galaxy S7 for two years and was fine. For some reason with my Pro Max however I found it uncomfortable for quite a while, exactly how you describe.

Like I said though, the issue has almost completely gone away.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
My iPhone X bothered my eyes, this time got the vanilla 11. But AMOLED Samsung S7 through 10+ never did.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
It’s a damn shame, because to me the 11 pro max is the best phone ever and I can’t use it due to pwm. No Samsung Galaxy S ever bugged me. Bring on new screen tech! Even though most people aren’t bothered, I wonder how bad it is to start at pwm screens all day long.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
Im curious why people seem to have a problem with apples oldeds but not Samsungs. Does Samsung not use PWM then?

Reactions: EM2013

SuperOperator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2019
Yesterday I was using Note 10+ and I don't know how to describe but it wasn't unpleasant at all. Whites are still pure whites, everything seems to look way better than on 11 Pro... I'm thinking that these new iPhones don't come with such quality screens at all, in terms of price at least. It's weird.

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
Im curious why people seem to have a problem with apples oldeds but not Samsungs. Does Samsung not use PWM then?

As you know Apple’s OLED’s are from Samsung panels and yes Samsung phones would have PWM as well at 49% brightness or lower.

Samsung uses PWM in combination with an analog brightness control in their AMOLED displays.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Yesterday I was using Note 10+ and I don't know how to describe but it wasn't unpleasant at all. Whites are still pure whites, everything seems to look way better than on 11 Pro... I'm thinking that these new iPhones don't come with such quality screens at all, in terms of price at least. It's weird.

Yes. Most people only have a problem with Apple displays. Other OLEDs are usually fine.

Turn on True Tone. If it is on, try with it off. One way or the other may be better for you.

breezyf808

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
I would say definitely, there is a “learning curve” or getting used to OLED screens.
The 11 pro max is the first OLED screen that I have used. Prior to it, I had an iPhone 6s Plus. Other electronics and tv that I use for viewing is lcd.
After purchasing pro max I felt the sensation that is described to as pwm. It was pretty intense the first 4 days as I couldn’t look or read anything more than 10 minutes.
I was even debating to return phone for the regular 11, but due to hassle of the buy one get one free it felt like I needed to stuck it out.
I’m glad I did because after the first 10 days I would say my symptoms had regress and I can actually use this phone regularly.
I have ordered a blue light filter glasses for this phone and because I work in fluorescent lit office and stare at screen most of the day.

galerno

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2020
I would say definitely, there is a “learning curve” or getting used to OLED screens.
The 11 pro max is the first OLED screen that I have used. Prior to it, I had an iPhone 6s Plus. Other electronics and tv that I use for viewing is lcd.
After purchasing pro max I felt the sensation that is described to as pwm. It was pretty intense the first 4 days as I couldn’t look or read anything more than 10 minutes.
I was even debating to return phone for the regular 11, but due to hassle of the buy one get one free it felt like I needed to stuck it out.
I’m glad I did because after the first 10 days I would say my symptoms had regress and I can actually use this phone regularly.
I have ordered a blue light filter glasses for this phone and because I work in fluorescent lit office and stare at screen most of the day.
Hey breezyf808 ! Could you please share your experience with us after half a year of use? I just bought one and I can't stand this phone and I would really like to know if I should stick with it.

Tofupunch

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
I played with the 11PM at an Apple store when it first came out for about an hour. The eye strain was real. I really wanted to get it but went with the 11 instead. I thought about powering through the strain but then stopped and thought, 'why am I going to subject my body to something that is clearly not agreeing with me? Just for a piece of tech?' Apparently one can get used to it. And perhaps i can. I just don't think it's worth it to find out. But that's just me.
I definitely won't rule it out for every subsequent release of a new iPhone. Apparently it can be tweaked to where it won't bother some users. Maybe that will eventually be me. ??

breezyf808

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
Hey breezyf808 ! Could you please share your experience with us after half a year of use? I just bought one and I can't stand this phone and I would really like to know if I should stick with it.

I eventually got used to the iPhone 11 Pro Max screen. I’d say it took about 10 days minimum for my eyes to get situated and that’s when the headaches disappeared.
I stopped using the blue light filter glasses after the first week.
If you still like your 11 pro and in the Apple ecosystem, I’d keep it.
Did you get it at a discounted price? If you do keep it, keep in mind that the new iPhone should be announce soon; and if I was you (if bought full price) I’d consider returning and getting the 12. But only if you are patient and can wait for the release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.