Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
One thing I wonder is, if so many people are affected by the OLED flickering, how in the heck did people deal with CRT monitors and televisions back in the day?

ALL CRT monitors and TVs flickered between 50 and 100Hz or so; back then that's all we had for displays. I never heard of a lot of people having these problems back then. Also you'd stare at a TV for many hours at a time, so if there were issues they'd be very likely to manifest. This makes me wonder how many of the OLED flicker issues are psychosomatic versus a real problem.

(Note, I'm not trying to discount anyone's problems; just speculating here.)

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
One thing I wonder is, if so many people are affected by the OLED flickering, how in the heck did people deal with CRT monitors and televisions back in the day?

ALL CRT monitors and TVs flickered between 50 and 100Hz or so; back then that's all we had for displays. I never heard of a lot of people having these problems back then. Also you'd stare at a TV for many hours at a time, so if there were issues they'd be very likely to manifest. This makes me wonder how many of the OLED flicker issues are psychosomatic versus a real problem.

Very good question, and I just wanted to speak up as I am one of those affected by OLED flicker. Looking at my wife's XS Max for more than a minute or two induces eye pain and overall head discomfort that I just do not get on my iPhone 11 or any other LCD phone I have ever had.

I was never bothered by the flicker with CRT computer monitors and TV's- odd yes, but there must be something different about these OLED screens- I wish I knew the answer.

galerno

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2020
It actually got so bad, that I had to sell it. I couldn’t even look at it without immediate pain. I bought an iPhone 11, because thats the last one with LCD. For me, it solved the problem, and I can safely say its not the faceID.

galerno

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2020

Frequency is a very important factor. That's why at lower brightness you experience more discomfort. I tried a Xiaomi Mi 9 which has the same 245 Hz frquency as the ipone 11 pro max, and I had no problems there. I suspect the measured or "official" frequency is not even at lower brighness, and iPhones may handle it differently than other phones. (The patterns -the lines- are different on the two phones)

AND please everyone, admit that OLED panels are like looking into a black hole while you sense a projection of "what is on the screen"! Haha. Kinda disappointing. If you think you NEED an OLED phone, you don't! The colors are good and everything, but they shift if you tilt the phone and as I said, reading on it is like reading on a projector. Be confident to buy a normal 11.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

vivsab

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2022
Depending on where you live, at least here in the states you have until Jan 8th to return the phone if you buy from an Apple Store.

I used to have similar symptoms and always wondered if it really was pwm sensitivity. I decided I’d try one last time and I’m a week in with no more eye strain, sensitivity, etc. There are long existing threads about it but in honesty, it’s mostly just the same members discussing it. I’d gather less than 1% of the forums suffer from it. I don’t have proof of the 1%, but it seldom even discussed anymore.

There are actually numerous members and even tech bloggers who, while they couldn’t use the X or Xs models due to pwm sensitivity, can now use the Pro models. Give it a try and don’t let it get in your head. I’m loving my ProMax and to think a month ago I thought I’d never be able to use it.
Hi. Can you please share more experiences with any new iPhones / OLED phones that you may have purchased after this phone? Did you face the same issues (itching in eyes, headaches) with new phones as well?

vivsab

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2022
I eventually got used to the iPhone 11 Pro Max screen. I’d say it took about 10 days minimum for my eyes to get situated and that’s when the headaches disappeared.
I stopped using the blue light filter glasses after the first week.
If you still like your 11 pro and in the Apple ecosystem, I’d keep it.
Did you get it at a discounted price? If you do keep it, keep in mind that the new iPhone should be announce soon; and if I was you (if bought full price) I’d consider returning and getting the 12. But only if you are patient and can wait for the release.
Glad to know your eyes got used to flickering of 11 Pro Max. Did you purchase any other OLED phone after that and if yes, then how was the experience? Did you face the same issues again - itching in eyes, headaches? And did your eyes adjust with the display of new OLED phone as well? Please suggest.

breezyf808

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
Glad to know your eyes got used to flickering of 11 Pro Max. Did you purchase any other OLED phone after that and if yes, then how was the experience? Did you face the same issues again - itching in eyes, headaches? And did your eyes adjust with the display of new OLED phone as well? Please suggest.
I previously had the iPhone 6s Plus (from launch) and then switched to the OLED (iPhone 11 PM). It took about 10 days to two weeks for adjustments. I still have my 11 PM to this day and notice no major headaches when using for long period of time. However, I do not use True Tone display as that could also be a factor.
Note: I do not use any special blue light screen protector nor glasses. I work in a fluorescent lit work environment and on computer for 80% of the time (avg 10 hours work day).
Eventually time will catch up to all of us just like cigarette smokers😎. We will have to wait and see when the time comes😬

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.