Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
People are creatures of habit. I'd bet that most people have a very small set of websites that they visit on a regular basis. So those people that say it happens "all the time" for them... it's probably that they regular a website with something weird or odd going on... as you suggested.

It is always without fail data-heavy websites such as newspapers and those with lots of photos. Safari gives the 'there was a problem with this webpage so it had to be reloaded' message, and other iPhone browsers simply crash to the home screen.

This issue doesn't occur when browsing the same websites on my Android tablet, or my pc, so it therefore cannot be a problem with the website itself. Also, my father spends hours browsing newspapers on his iPhone 5 running iOS7 and experiences no crashing whatsoever. So whatever the issue it appears to be specific to iOS8.

curtisjacob

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2014
LA, CA
This is possibly the most annoying thing about the new iOS. There needs to be a way to turn off the reload. I don't care if the site is buggy - stop controlling MY PHONE. One thing about Apple I hate is the restrictions. I paid the money, ALL choices should be up to my preference.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This is possibly the most annoying thing about the new iOS. There needs to be a way to turn off the reload. I don't care if the site is buggy - stop controlling MY PHONE. One thing about Apple I hate is the restrictions. I paid the money, ALL choices should be up to my preference.
It simply loads the site when it's no longer in the memory. What else could it do?

curtisjacob

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2014
LA, CA
It simply loads the site when it's no longer in the memory. What else could it do?

What else could it do? I'm not a programmer, I don't know. What it should do is nothing. It's a never ending spiral of reloads until it cancels. Don't recall my iOS 7 ever doing this - why the change? It's an edit meant to improve our experience but as the need for this thread, it's clearly not doing a good job at that.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What else could it do? I'm not a programmer, I don't know. What it should do is nothing. It's a never ending spiral of reloads until it cancels. Don't recall my iOS 7 ever doing this - why the change? It's an edit meant to improve our experience but as the need for this thread, it's clearly not doing a good job at that.
Not sure what's never evening. It reloads once when you get back to a tab that you haven't used for some time.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
he means the reload when "a problem has occured with this page".

Is that in some loop? I've come across it at times but I don't recall some sort of loop or anything like that. Just basically an error that comes up for some reason she a reload is attempted.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It is always without fail data-heavy websites such as newspapers and those with lots of photos. Safari gives the 'there was a problem with this webpage so it had to be reloaded' message, and other iPhone browsers simply crash to the home screen.

This issue doesn't occur when browsing the same websites on my Android tablet, or my pc, so it therefore cannot be a problem with the website itself. Also, my father spends hours browsing newspapers on his iPhone 5 running iOS7 and experiences no crashing whatsoever. So whatever the issue it appears to be specific to iOS8.

This happens on my ipad 2, not on my 5s even in desktop mode. The state of the art with websites for the last 4-5 years has steadily gotten bigger; more graphics, more javascript, more CSS etc and it's noticed when browsing in ipad 2 vs other devices.

But I'm not sure what is happening with that error message on ipad 2. The website reloads and the page displays without issue.

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Traveling @ Warp Speed ...... USA
This is a problem that will go away with the next release of IOS. Apple is working on a list of websites. In the futre instead of getting the reload message you will just seemlesssly be rerouted to a site contained on Apples "you should be reading" list.

T.j.p.

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2015
Business
This happens on my ipad 2, not on my 5s even in desktop mode. The state of the art with websites for the last 4-5 years has steadily gotten bigger; more graphics, more javascript, more CSS etc and it's noticed when browsing in ipad 2 vs other devices.

But I'm not sure what is happening with that error message on ipad 2. The website reloads and the page displays without issue.

If you disable JavaScript it does not happen. I suspect ads trying to do naughty things, or other tracking bugs trying to evade the various do not track technologies, and looping endlessly.

Reactions: I7guy

WhickerMan

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2015
Has anyone actually got a fix for this or is it just a forum for everyone to complain that they have the same problem?!

WhickerMan

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2015
This is a problem that will go away with the next release of IOS. Apple is working on a list of websites. In the futre instead of getting the reload message you will just seemlesssly be rerouted to a site contained on Apples "you should be reading" list.

I've never had this problem on any of my devices until I updated to the most recent operating system iOS 9.0.2. It's an iPhone 6 Plus so should not have any RAM issues!

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
Why wouldn't that have RAM issues? Do you mean 6s Plus? I had this problem all day every day until I got my 6s Plus. Maybe twice with the new phone ever.

As far as I know this was mainly from the large screen and the low RAM of the 6 Plus. Others had it somewhat.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Has anyone actually got a fix for this or is it just a forum for everyone to complain that they have the same problem?!
Apple had to fix it, and it seems that it was done for the most part in iOS 9.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Apple had to fix it, and it seems that it was done for the most part in iOS 9.
I do not see at all that the new iOS fixed anything regarding pages reloading again and again.
I have updated my trusty iPad 2 as much as possible... but to read a post in this forum until the very end of it or (much worse) to try to write one, has become an ordeal needing MUCH luck and EVEN MORE patience...

Sometimes it works (like at this very moment) but in most cases it becomes an uninterrupted loop of reloads, exactly as many previous post writers describe.

I ask myself if Apple will ever fix it...:eek:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I do not see at all that the new iOS fixed anything regarding pages reloading again and again.
I have updated my trusty iPad 2 as much as possible... but to read a post in this forum until the very end of it or (much worse) to try to write one, has become an ordeal needing MUCH luck and EVEN MORE patience...

S o m e t i m e s it works (like at this very moment) but m o r e o f e n it becomes an uninterrupted loop of reloads, exactly as many previous post writers describe.

I ask myself if Apple will ever fix it...:eek:
Odd, I haven't seen any such reloads since iOS 9, and it doesn't seem like many others have seen them--I recall some people saying their Safari experience is much more stable and better in iOS 9, and there really hasn't been much (or really almost anything at all) in the way of complaints when it comes to this reloading issue in Safari across many various iOS 9 issues threads.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
I don't know if this will help others.
Anyhow I installed the Chrome Browser featured in the Apple apps store and
now in my iPad 2 I do not have the Safari reloading in a loop. Sometimes the browser simply disappears ( crashes) but opening again I can restore.
Anyways much better than the continuous rebuilding in Safari.

Jfkjr812

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2015
Still happening to me and I just went from an iPad 2 to iPad pro. Seems to be the same website all the time though.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Still happening to me and I just went from an iPad 2 to iPad pro. Seems to be the same website all the time though.
Very strange :confused:
It happens almost in a loop in this MacRumors Forum when using Safari with my iPad 2. :eek:
It seems to depend on what web page I am in...?????
Doesn't seem logical :rolleyes:
Has anybody a hint?
Ed

OneBiggBoss

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2016
This problem has been happening on my iPhone 6 since Nzovember 2015. It happens on every website for me. When I search for something in the address bar, it will reload constantly on the Google website search results. But when I go to google.com plainly, it doesn't even load the site. It just sits their with the blue loading bar stretching only about a centimeter from the left.

It's now started happening on my iPad mini 2 within the last week or so. Just like it started at first with the iPhone. It happens on occasion at first, seemingly only on heavy sites. But then it'll start happening to all of them.

I switched to iCab Mobile browser on my iPhone and that works.

I've tried all the normal solutions, i.e. Resetting network settings, disabling JavaScript, turning almost every toggle that one could in safari, uninstalling jailbreak tweaks relating to safari, clearing history. Probably about everything and end user could do.

Not hope from me. We're stuck with this. No solution in site.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.