Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drea97

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
"A Problem Occurred with this Webpage so it was Reloaded Fix" it's annoyed on iPad Air on Safari browser for months ever since 9 version came out. I hope Apple fixed webpage reloaded.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Seems like things of that nature have been better for most with iOS 9 compared to iOS 8.

drea97

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
Thats because there is a lack of RAM. Started happening on my iPad 2 with iOS 8. Eventually gave up and got an Air 2. Hasn't happened since.

I'm not going out get another iPad til Apple fix their problem with webpage reloaded. I really wants to downgrade 9.0 back to 8 version.

Reactions: macfacts

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I'm not going out get another iPad til Apple fix their problem with webpage reloaded. I really wants to downgrade 9.0 back to 8 version.
Considering its a hardware problem, Apple can't just magically fix the problem. As iOS gets older, Safari gains more features which takes resources, which reduces available RAM. Try a different web browser.

drea97

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
Considering its a hardware problem, Apple can't just magically fix the problem. As iOS gets older, Safari gains more features which takes resources, which reduces available RAM. Try a different web browser.

I will try another browsers .

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
C DM is right. The issue was worse on iOS 8 with my iPad 2 compared to iOS 9. And thats an iPad 2. I caved and bought an Air 2 because my iPad 2 was over 4.5 years old and needed something more capable. It was a large factor in upgrading though. Lost patience. But I am not a patient person.

Reactions: I7guy

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2015
I will try another browsers .
Had the same problem on an iPad Mini (1). Ended up using iCab Mobile. It largely (not completely) alleviated the problem; you should have better results with the Air's more RAM. iCab has resident filters; can also add third party filters but the developer recommends not to for devices with lesser RAM.

Many other features, as well.

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
Doesn't the Mini 4 have 2GB RAM as well? Because I still have the same problem on that, just not as often.

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2015
Doesn't the Mini 4 have 2GB RAM as well? Because I still have the same problem on that, just not as often.
It has the same RAM but a different processor than the Air 2. Good site to compare the specs HERE. Have you considered a content blocker? There's quite a few to choose from. MR thread HERE.

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
It has the same RAM but a different processor than the Air 2. Good site to compare the specs HERE. Have you considered a content blocker? There's quite a few to choose from. MR thread HERE.

I've got two. The problem really only occurs on message boards where people embed lots of you tube videos in the thread....my Mini 4 chokes every time and I get the error message.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Is it really to do with too little RAM? I virtually never see this on my 1gb iPhone 6 on iOS 9. Saw it more on iOS 8. This proves it's not entirely a hardware or RAM issue.

I believe it is more that the process has trouble rendering the page it for whatever reason. Since ios 8, safari uses WebKit 2 which uses multiple processes so that crashes are confined to tabs rather than the whole app.

iOS 7 was notorious for the whole of safari app crashing on iPad for many months

Last edited:

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron

The way Apple designed mobile Safari, it is a hardware problem.

On a laptop or desktop, web browsers have access to "unlimited fake" RAM by using swap space and disk cache. So it is not a hardware problem.

Last edited:

drea97

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
Thats because there is a lack of RAM. Started happening on my iPad 2 with iOS 8. Eventually gave up and got an Air 2. Hasn't happened since.
You're right it does have something do with ram I had to deleted a lot stuff off the iPad Air. I am not getting this error anymore "a problem occurred with this web page so it was reloaded". I wish Apple be honest with people why they're getting error message on safari because of the lack ram.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You're right it does have something do with ram I had to deleted a lot stuff off the iPad Air. I am not getting this error anymore "a problem occurred with this web page so it was reloaded". I wish Apple be honest with people why they're getting error message on safari because of the lack ram.
Deleting stuff won't really do much for RAM as that is basically used for what's actively being used or at least has recently been used. Seems like iOS 9 helped with this issue compared to iOS 8 where more people were experiencing, although even with iOS 8 it wasn't really most people by far, and with iOS 9, even with the same devices, there are much fewer instances of it all.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I think your confusing storage with ram mate

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015

No, it's not, that error appears when there's a bug that crashes WebKit.

Reactions: GreyOS

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It is without a doubt caused by lack of RAM. Apple has even confirmed that with me.
On the other hand, in iOS 9 things did get much better for most that were having those types of issues in iOS 8 (and even there not everyone had those issues), and that's on the same devices, so at least some part of it, if not a good part of it, doesn't have as much to do with RAM or at least works fine with less RAM too. Thinking about it some more, no one really had those issues in iOS 7, even with the same devices with less RAM.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
On the other hand, in iOS 9 things did get much better for most that were having those types of issues in iOS 8 (and even there not everyone had those issues), and that's on the same devices, so at least some part of it, if not a good part of it, doesn't have as much to do with RAM or at least works fine with less RAM too. Thinking about it some more, no one really had those issues in iOS 7, even with the same devices with less RAM.

According to Apple and my own research Safari became more resource intensive with iOS 8. With iOS 9 it reduced the amount of resources it needed so that is why the issue doesn't occur as much with iOS 9 compared to iOS 8. iOS 7 was definitely the least resource dependent of the last 3 versions of iOS.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
It is without a doubt caused by lack of RAM. Apple has even confirmed that with me.

They confirmed it wrong.

If it reloads, it is because of RAM, if a message appears at the top, it's a crash on WebKit.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
They confirmed it wrong.

If it reloads, it is because of RAM, if a message appears at the top, it's a crash on WebKit.

If it was WebKit wouldn't you get a log in diagnostics showing a WebKit crash? When I was dealing with Apple with my iPad 2 constantly displaying that error, there were no WebKit logs tied to it.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
If it was WebKit wouldn't you get a log in diagnostics showing a WebKit crash? When I was dealing with Apple with my iPad 2 constantly displaying that error, there were no WebKit logs tied to it.

And it does, if you check your iOS device log.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.