Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
Or more like different people have had different experiences with it.

Having it repeatedly happen on multiple devices with wildly different amounts of RAM suggests it is a software issue, NOT a "lack of memory " issue, as I'm sure you'll agree if you have even the vaguest familiarity with software vs. hardware bugs.

Reactions: GreyOS

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Having it repeatedly happen on multiple devices with wildly different amounts of RAM suggests it is a software issue, NOT a "lack of memory " issue, as I'm sure you'll agree if you have even the vaguest familiarity with software vs. hardware bugs.
I was commenting more on what devices someone has been experiencing it on. In your case you didn't have it happen with earlier devices but have it happening with the latest devices, in the case of various others they only had it happen with some earlier devices but haven't had it happen with newer ones.

That aside, yes, there's certainly some software/OS aspect to it (and there might be some hardware aspect as well potentially).

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
I was commenting more on what devices someone has been experiencing it on. In your case you didn't have it happen with earlier devices but have it happening with the latest devices, in the case of various others they only had it happen with some earlier devices but haven't had it happen with newer ones.

That aside, yes, there's certainly some software/OS aspect to it (and there might be some hardware aspect as well potentially).

Gotcha.
For edification: my "WRONG" comment was solely to those saying this only occurs on older models & is because they lack RAM.
I fundamentally take umbrage to those who purport OPINION (or random guesses) as though it were FACT in support threads.
It is the height of egotistical rudeness.
People are here for answers. If you have a guess, preface it with "it would make sense to me if this was the reason why..."; don't just lie & pretend like you have the answer.
What if someone believes them & buys a new machine needlessly?? Not cool!
I'd equate that with a stranger asking for directions & you just confidently giving them detailed directions to NOWHERE to try and seem smart.
What a horrible disservice!

Last edited:

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Gotcha.
For edification: my "WRONG" comment was solely to those saying this only occurs on older models & is because they lack RAM.
I fundamentally take umbrage to those who purport OPINION (or random guesses as though it were FACT in support threads.
It is the height of egotistical rudeness.
People are here for answers. If you have a guess, preface it with "it would make sense to me if this was the reason why..."; don't just lie & pretend like you have the answer.
What if someone believes them & buys a new machine needlessly?? Not cool!
I'd equate that with a stranger asking for directions & you just confidently giving them detailed directions to NOWHERE to try and seem smart.
What a horrible disservice!

Why don't you take a minute to read the thread. I have already stated that I was told by Apple Support (Tier 2) it is a RAM issue on older devices. Someone else is sayings it's WebKit. But I am getting the crash on my iPad 2 without a WebKit diagnostic file.

I am in no way shape or form telling someone to get a new device. I am simply stating what has worked for me and what I have been personally told by Apple. It is a FACT that Apple told me it's a low RAM crash. So please take your OPINION of me doing a disservice elsewhere.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
Lets stay on topic, with regard to the iPad - the thread was starting to get derailed so a number of posts were removed.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
[MOD NOTE]
Lets stay on topic, with regard to the iPad - the thread was starting to get derailed so a number of posts were removed.

Thank you & no problem.

Ok, so I 1st noticed it when my iMac died and I wasn't able to watch downloaded tv shows... I got it on seedy "stream tv shows here" sites like GorillaVid, so I chalked it up to bad site coding or some attempted malware type of thing & would just restart the show. Then I got on one of the same sites one of those "call this 800 # to fix your iPad" ransomware pop ups that literally froze up safari, not allowing to X out of a tab, switch tabs, etc. the only way out was to go to settings & clear Safari data & history.
Then I started getting it from all kinds of random totally legit pages..
Multiple times - every single day. =(
The worrywart in me wonders if the malicious pop up somehow left a scrap of persistent code causing these errors.
Most recently, I followed a tidbit of advice - to clear network settings.
That was last night & I haven't had a page crash/reload yet today, so I'll keep you posted.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
Thank you & no problem.

Ok, so I 1st noticed it when my iMac died and I wasn't able to watch downloaded tv shows... I got it on seedy "stream tv shows here" sites like GorillaVid, so I chalked it up to bad site coding or some attempted malware type of thing & would just restart the show. Then I got on one of the same sites one of those "call this 800 # to fix your iPad" ransomware pop ups that literally froze up safari, not allowing to X out of a tab, switch tabs, etc. the only way out was to go to settings & clear Safari data & history.
Then I started getting it from all kinds of random totally legit pages..
Multiple times - every single day. =(
The worrywart in me wonders if the malicious pop up somehow left a scrap of persistent code causing these errors.
Most recently, I followed a tidbit of advice - to clear network settings.
That was last night & I haven't had a page crash/reload yet today, so I'll keep you posted.

UPDATE:
Still doing it.
I'm getting a replacement to see if it's hardware related. (Doubtful).... but I suppose it could be a bad RAM chip, soldered in.
Then, in a way- the RAM blamers on here would be actually correct! =P

dmcdayton

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
UPDATE:
Still doing it.
I'm getting a replacement to see if it's hardware related. (Doubtful).... but I suppose it could be a bad RAM chip, soldered in.
Then, in a way- the RAM blamers on here would be actually correct! =P

This is software problem, pure and simple. I've been Big Apple proponent but they've lowered the bar so much over past 2 years with buggy updates and no way to downgrade to more stable platform..its complete BS. I converted to Apple Mac, phone and tablet and enjoyed stability for a couple years ...now I live with webpage crashes everyday. They've completely lost their "It just works" mentality. I won't spend money on new equipment till I see this resolved.

Chrome doesn't seem to crash at all but I'm wired into their password Eco-system and it's super annoying to switch back and forth.

They should either fix it or admit incompatibility and let users downgrade back to stable release.

Jobs would not have let this go on so long. They wonder why iPad sales are soft and can't seem to connect that people are unhappy with what they've got. Doesn't sound like the iPad Pro users are having any better time of it.

At least Forestall kept things working ...

Starting to turn into Windows.

RiddlaBronc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2013
Mcallen Tx
If i go to a forum and click on whatever link/thread and I zoom in. It will give me the error frequently. Its really starting to get on my nerves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.