Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
So what’s the work around if Apple decides to ditch lcd panels all together?
They basically have at this point. Your only options are iPhone 11 or iPhone SE. There will likely be an iPhone SE Plus down the line but it’s going to feel slightly outdated in 2022.

All we can do is keep sending Apple feedback and hope that they listen now that the current-generation iPhones all have OLED displays with PWM. I’d like to see a flicker-free OLED.

Reactions: nrvous1

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
I finally got a chance to poke around with a relative’s iPhone 12.

Played around with it for 90 seconds or so and afterwards, my retinas felt like I’d been looking at a welding arc light or something and I had a mild head ache for half an hour or so.

So no new 12 series for me. And likely no new ‘13/12s’ series this year either then.

Guess I’ve got an upgrade from my XR to an 11 to look forward to at some point then ?.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ

Played around with it for 90 seconds or so and afterwards, my retinas felt like I’d been looking at a welding arc light or something and I had a mild head ache for half an hour or so.

So no new 12 series for me. And likely no new ‘13/12s’ series this year either then.

Guess I’ve got an upgrade from my XR to an 11 to look forward to at some point then ?.
At that point wait for the SE Plus in 2022.

I am holding out some hope that iPhone 13 will be better in some aspect since there are two different OLED panels being manufactured by LG and Samsung.

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

I wouldn’t bother with the 11 over the XR the only reason I did was due to a software glitch that caused the XR to have issues on the o2 network and 5 months after I sold my XR and upgraded to an 11 o2 and Apple repaired the glitch which annoyed me. Differences between the XR and 11 boil down to night mode and ultrawide and that is literally it, the performance difference is negligible.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
I wouldn’t bother with the 11 over the XR the only reason I did was due to a software glitch that caused the XR to have issues on the o2 network and 5 months after I sold my XR and upgraded to an 11 o2 and Apple repaired the glitch which annoyed me. Differences between the XR and 11 boil down to night mode and ultrawide and that is literally it, the performance difference is negligible.
Thanks! Yes that’s why I added the ? emoji to my post above in that the 11 isn’t really much of an upgrade… ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.