Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EEzycade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
In all respect, Macrumors is a place where we talk about Apple and the tech world in general. I don’t think that people should post inflammatory political comments that are too liberal OR too conservative. Instead of focusing on what divides us in America, why don’t we just focus on what brings us together, which is a desire to talk about Apple and tech. Just my thoughts, it hurts me to see all the hatred.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
There have been lots of comments both Pro and Con regarding the Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. I personally avoid it, however, there are other members that do the majority of their posting there. MacRumors is a great place to learn about Apple and its products and also to get help with them. Just stick to those forums that discuss Apple and tech and that which you're interested in.

Reactions: JayMysterio

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
In all respect, Macrumors is a place where we talk about Apple and the tech world in general. I don’t think that people should post inflammatory political comments that are too liberal OR too conservative. Instead of focusing on what divides us in America, why don’t we just focus on what brings us together, which is a desire to talk about Apple and tech. Just my thoughts, it hurts me to see all the hatred.
Lol. We're not all Americans!

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010

It is a separate section of MR. :)

I usually frequent the iOS, macOS, and the day to day blog sections. Rarely do I open a link related to political discourses.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Lol. We're not all Americans!

Firstly, as @Apple fanboy points out, above, we're not all Americans.

Indeed, I'll admit that some of the American-centric stuff on the forum irks me at times.

Secondly, as others - such as @decafjava - have suggested, avoid that section of the forum if it does not appeal to you.

Thirdly, it is impossible to separate political matters from the rest of real life, - because political choices and decisions have an impact on what happens in real life - even in discussions ostensibly about the tech world and its products.

Online privacy? That is - or will be - a political (and perhaps commercial) choice and decision, one also with with security implications.

Outsourcing manufacturing (that is, tech companies outsourcing manufacturing) to third - and indeed, third world - countries with appalling labour practices? That is a political and an economic choice and decision.

Availing of unusually elastic tax regimes elsewhere? That, too, is a political - and economic - decision, and the way it will be addressed will also be a political (and economic) decision. And choice.

Last edited:

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Well said indeed, @Scepticalscribe , indeed online privacy (and security) is one reason I stick with Apple and switched my desktop to Mac when the time. The outsourcing of manufacture and manner which raw minerals are obtained as well as the tax issue are two of my biggest criticisms against Apple.

See OP? Politics by non-Americans, no hate or flaming.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well said indeed, @Scepticalscribe , indeed online privacy (and security) is one reason I stick with Apple and switched my desktop to Mac when the time. The outsourcing of manufacture and manner which raw minerals are obtained as well as the tax issue are two of my biggest criticisms against Apple.

See OP? Politics by non-Americans, no hate or flaming.

Ah, yes.

Raw materials and raw minerals - a critically important observation.

In recent years, I have worked in central Asia and in parts of Africa and have observed this at close quarters; the desire and need to be able to access to raw materials is driving some elements of geo-political choices made in some of those regions.

So, to the OP: While discussions on explicitly political matters are usually catered for in the PRSI section, - and there are sections of the forum for those who wish to focus entirely on Apple products (though I will argue that the perfervid emotions and occasional passion - perhaps even "hatred" - sometimes expressed on the iPhone section of the forum far surpasses that of the PRSI section for passion, and emotion, hatred, and yes, intolerance), in the real world, politics and political choices have an impact on everything we do.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
If you are noticing political discussions outside the PRSI forum, please report the posts so we can remove them.
Does this thread count as one? :)

I have PRSI on ignore and that solves the problem. Good moderation seems to keep those discussions ring-fenced in there. I've also noticed, from when I would read PRSI, that most of the members there leave their argumentative political personality behind when they stray outside the fence. It works well.

Reactions: SoggyCheese

EEzycade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
Oh, I’m sorry. I wasn’t aware that it was a different section of the forum. I just joined yesterday, sorry if i bothered anyone

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Oh, I’m sorry. I wasn’t aware that it was a different section of the forum. I just joined yesterday, sorry if i bothered anyone

No worries.

The PRSI (political and religious and social section of the forum) is indeed a separate section of the forum.

Also worth noting is the fact that you need to have made, or posted, 100 posts before you are allowed to post in that section of the forum.

Reactions: decafjava

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
I wasn't a majority-PRSI poster when I joined; I joined this site because I wanted information about the 2016 MBPs (at the time, my 2012 MBP had just failed). I originally posted almost non-stop about MacBooks until the new models finally came out. Once they did, I had become totally accustomed to this forum, but had less to say about Apple products (although I still regularly post in Apple event threads and occasionally make comments on the Apple news articles), though the majority of my posts are now in PRSI. It's actually the main political forum I post in. But it's separate for a reason. It can be ignored if you're not interested, and I agree that if you see political bickering in Apple sections, you should report it.

Reactions: Glockworkorange

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I find the main Apple news forum more disturbing than PRSI. There's a few stand out people from PRSI who I gloss over because they likely lead miserable lives. I'm happy with that assumption.

Reactions: millerj123

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
That’s why PRSI is segregated. It should be easy to stay out of the current, politics, social section, but there is definitely a draw. If not for that the the Community forum, I would not be visiting here daily.

Reactions: Glockworkorange

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I just need to go to work for that - as long as the one person I truly loathe at work is there. :)

Yeah that used to work for me too. I was the type didn't mind riding the subway, which was enough to get some of us riled up enough to skip coffee all together..

When PRSI is too much for me I still like to cruise around the iOS threads or assorted threads in the Community section. Sometimes I just want to see different avatars. Sometimes I just don't want to do my real chores. :eek:

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
None of the posts you make in PRSI count towards your post count. Main reason I stay out of there.

Second reason I stay out of there is that I'm already on meds for high blood pressure.
Wait is this true? I don’t actively track my posts but I’ve got like 11,000 posts or somethings me that. I figured it was all counting because I spent a good chunk of time in there and can’t imagine I’ve hit that number outside PRSI.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Wait is this true? I don’t actively track my posts but I’ve got like 11,000 posts or somethings me that. I figured it was all counting because I spent a good chunk of time in there and can’t imagine I’ve hit that number outside PRSI.
Yes, as @LizKat said…it's true.

PRSI post do not count.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.