Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
I have been babying my Apple Watch SS for just over a week now. I have only wiped it down with a micro-fiber cloth used for glasses and when I look under a desk lamp, the polished stainless steel is already full of micro scratches. It looks like I have been wearing the watch for a year. :confused:

Pics attached

Very bummed.

I guess it truly is like the SS on the back of an iPod. Can just imagine how dull the polished finish is gonna look in a year :(

Anyone else notice this on their SS? Its a beautiful watch, i really want a sapphire display too so the sport is kind of not an option :(

Attachments

• Photo May 03-2.jpeg
    Photo May 03-2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,570
  • Photo May 03.jpeg
    Photo May 03.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,362
Last edited:

CharlieCat666

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
I have been babying my Apple Watch SS for just over a week now. I have only wiped it down with a micro-fiber cloth used for glasses and when I look under a desk lamp, the polished stainless steel is already full of micro scratches. It looks like I have been wearing the watch for a year. :confused:

Very bummed.

I guess it truly is like the SS on the back of an iPod. Can just imagine how dull the polished finish is gonna look in a year :(

Anyone else notice this on their SS? Its a beautiful watch, i really want a sapphire display too so the sport is kind of not an option :(

Those scratches are very easy to get rid of.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqb8LFt4MI0

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto

Very bummed.

Love those micro scratches. First few look bad but after awhile it looks nice :)

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
Yeah I need pics, because I have had my watch over a week and haven't really payed any attention to how I treat it. It's been covered in dirt, knocked into walls and desks, been rinsed off a couple times and wiped down with whatever I have handy and I can't for the life of me find any micro scratches on it.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Yeah I need pics, because I have had my watch over a week and haven't really payed any attention to how I treat it. It's been covered in dirt, knocked into walls and desks, been rinsed off a couple times and wiped down with whatever I have handy and I can't for the life of me find any micro scratches on it.

Posted pics now.

----------

Those scratches are very easy to get rid of.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqb8LFt4MI0

tried that, on one side, didn't work well at all. scratches still there and they are even less visible then the scratches in the video.

Thraxis

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2015
I think this would be a problem for any SS watch...I know it has for any non-laminated watch I've ever owned. One of the reasons I opted for the grossly expensive Sapphire screen. I'm constantly banging my wrist on something. I work with my hands a lot. At least you can polish SS easier than you could with the aluminum one.

Gooberton

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010

Pictures Below:

Very bummed.

No pictures ?

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
I think this would be a problem for any SS watch...I know it has for any non-laminated watch I've ever owned. One of the reasons I opted for the grossly expensive Sapphire screen. I'm constantly banging my wrist on something. I work with my hands a lot. At least you can polish SS easier than you could with the aluminum one.

I thought so too, the polishing didn't work however. Not to discredit Dom from MacMixing but the Mag & Aluminum polish did nothing. :(

----------

Photo%20May%2003%2C%2011%2035%2011%20PM.jpg

zmunkz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
All my SS watches look like that... I understand you can have it professional buffed out, or there is something you can rub on with a rag that is supposed to help (I didn't watch the video link above... maybe that was covered).

But I've never bothered to try anything on my current watches as they are so cheap... not sure what I am going to do when my AW gets to look like them... I'll have to try something.

good luck sorting it out, let us know what works best.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
All my SS watches look like that... I understand you can have it professional buffed out, or there is something you can rub on with a rag that is supposed to help (I didn't watch the video link above... maybe that was covered).

But I've never bothered to try anything on my current watches as they are so cheap... not sure what I am going to do when my AW gets to look like them... I'll have to try something.

good luck sorting it out, let us know what works best.

Tried the method in the video, didn't work.

----------

It's normal for stainless steel, just accept it or return for an aluminum one.

I understand, just thought the steel on the Apple Watch would be more scratch resistant then the iPod. :(

----------

Sounds silly but made a Genius bar appointment to see what they consider normal.....

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
Can you actually see those with your naked eye and no flash?

Also that looks nothing like the back of an original iPod.. my iPod looked terrible lol

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
What do you expect from polished stainless steel? It is completely 100% unavoidable to get those surface micro scratches. Even if you kept it in your pocket or under a sleeve the entire week it would probably have just as many. That's what happens to super shiny polished surfaces.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
What do you expect from polished stainless steel? It is completely 100% unavoidable to get those surface micro scratches. Even if you kept it in your pocket or under a sleeve the entire week it would probably have just as many. That's what happens to super shiny polished surfaces.

I know I know, but after one week? What will it look like in a year? I thought about downgrading to the sport but I'm nervous about not having the sapphire display....ugh.

----------

Can you actually see those with your naked eye and no flash?

Also that looks nothing like the back of an original iPod.. my iPod looked terrible lol

Some of them.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I know I know, but after one week? What will it look like in a year? I thought about downgrading to the sport but I'm nervous about not having the sapphire display....ugh.

----------

Some of them.

You should be able to safely have it repolished two times a year. (every six months or so) It would never get to levels of the old SS back on the iPods.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
I don't think these are such a big deal, but you might actually have caused them yourself by wiping the watch down with a microfiber cloth. Any tiny bits of grit that are on the cloth can cause scratches. For the record, though, mine appears to be completely pristine, and I got it on the 24th.

Reactions: 01silver4

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
I don't think these are such a big deal, but you might actually have caused them yourself by wiping the watch down with a microfiber cloth. Any tiny bits of grit that are on the cloth can cause scratches. For the record, though, mine appears to be completely pristine, and I got it on the 24th.

hmm, well lets see what apple says, i also have the issue of the haptic feedback getting lighter then day one. If I do get a replacement, I won't be using the same microfiber rag. What are you wiping yours with?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.