Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Zooming into the two images it looks like there is crud between the glass and steel. So probably lots of dirt on the watch when you tried to wipe it clean with the fiber cloth to cause most of it.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
My hand, mostly, or sometimes my shirt. I'm not going out of my way to polish it or anything, but if it looks a little bad I'll give it a rub.

maybe thats my issue, the microfiber rag itself. But the rag shouldn't be worse then a T-Shirt.

----------

Zooming into the two images it looks like there is crud between the glass and steel. So probably lots of dirt on the watch when you tried to wipe it clean with the fiber cloth to cause most of it.

The watch never was exposed to dirt or yard work or anything. Its a shame that babying the device and wiping it with a microfiber cloth would cause an issue.

darkgremio

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2011
Scratches are inevitable with polished stainless steel. I would just keep the micro scratches on there, and maybe once a year polish the steel. I don't have any noticeable micro scratches yet, but I shower with my AW and wipe it down with a bath towel, then periodically I might use the cloth that came with my MBPr on it. I keep the cloth tucked in my wallet, it had a zipper holder in the billfold.

I'd recommend Cape Cod polish

http://www.amazon.com/Cape-Cod-Poli...id=1430717333&sr=1-2&keywords=cape+cod+polish

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Scratches are inevitable with polished stainless steel. I would just keep the micro scratches on there, and maybe once a year polish the steel. I don't have any noticeable micro scratches yet, but I shower with my AW and wipe it down with a bath towel, then periodically I might use the cloth that came with my MBPr on it. I keep the cloth tucked in my wallet, it had a zipper holder in the billfold.

I'd recommend Cape Cod polish

http://www.amazon.com/Cape-Cod-Poli...id=1430717333&sr=1-2&keywords=cape+cod+polish

Hmm those have the polish built in, so you just wipe down with the cape cod cloth and your done

darkgremio

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2011
Hmm those have the polish built in, so you just wipe down with the cape cod cloth and your done

Yes, I'd be careful of the speaker port and microphone port when polishing though, maybe use some masking tape that sliced very thinly

ldpm14

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Southlake, Texas
This is why I stayed away from the SS Apple Watches because I knew they would scratch. They are basically like the old iPod's with the backs that scratched really easily.
IPOD_SCRATCH.jpg

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY

grenhall

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2011
Sweden
Polished steel scratches. Get yourself some Cape Cod Cloths and wipe the steel off once every year and you'll be fine. As long as you don't get chips or deep scratches it can all be buffed out. I know that it might be worrying if it's your first stainless steel watch but you'll get over it. Trust me.

KauaiBruce

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Kauai, HI
Yep, I have a Tiffanys money clip and the thing is scratched all to hell!

I like it though, Adds character!

You Tiffany's is SS? I thought they were mostly Sterling. My Tiffany Sterling key ring is totally scratched to hell which is part of its fun look.

Yes, the Stainless will get some of those scratches. I knew that when I got it. I think people will need to get used to it. Just what Stainless watches are all about. I DO NOT like the aluminum or gold.

its93rc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Texas
No offense, but this is ridiculous. The people at the Genius bar are going to laugh at you and rightfully so. IT IS stainless steel + I can barely see those 'scratches'.. Everything scratches/dents/etc, just enjoy the product. (Fellow SS owner here).

jk4lebron23

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2010
Nashville,TN
You Tiffany's is SS? I thought they were mostly Sterling. My Tiffany Sterling key ring is totally scratched to hell which is part of its fun look.

Yes, the Stainless will get some of those scratches. I knew that when I got it. I think people will need to get used to it. Just what Stainless watches are all about. I DO NOT like the aluminum or gold.

Ah you're right! Forgot they do Sterling!

LxTxNx

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2007
No offense, but this is ridiculous. The people at the Genius bar are going to laugh at you and rightfully so. IT IS stainless steel + I can barely see those 'scratches'.. Everything scratches/dents/etc, just enjoy the product. (Fellow SS owner here).

Amen!

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
You couldn't pay me enough to be an Apple genius and deal with this kind of stuff. If you want it to remain looking like new, keep it in the box.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I am OCD about stuff...house, car, iPhone, iPad but I have already resigned myself to the fact that when my SS arrives, it's gonna get scratched and I will just live with it. I will change it annually anyway.
My Rolex is scratched and I have never bothered to polish it and I Just don't notice the marks

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Anything you wear is going to et damaged. Just get it polished once a year. I used to take my Rolex back to the dear and he could make it look new.

Nothing you can do about the micro scratches.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Op, you must have never had a SS watch. It's perfectly normal for this to happen. This is not something exclusive to Apple. I have an $800 SS watch that has scratched up over the past year; I kinda ignore it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.