Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apfpilot

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2012
That's a stainless steel watch for you. That is what happens. There is a Rolex Stainless Submariner in our family that is years old and it has the same thing on the band, and I'm sure on the case (although it isn't shiny so it isn't as visible.)

dyt1983

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2014
USA USA USA
904L is MUCH harder. ;)

You might be correct, but most of the materials suppliers I use and know will disagree with you[size=-2][1][2][/size]--904L (UB6) is primarily used over 316L for corrosion resistance, with the hardness primarily a function of how the material is worked and finished, the range being 70-95 Rockwell-B.

[size=-2]
1. Stainless Steel - Grade 904L (UNS N08904) on AZO Materials
2. Stainless Steel - Grade 316L - Properties, Fabrication and Applications (UNS S31603) on AZO Materials
[/size]

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
I will let you know how it goes at Apple tonight, I will see what they say about the scratches, and taptic engine, maybe they could recommend a polish or offer to polish it lol

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Since the watch will have finger smudges on it 90% of the time, you can't see the scratches anyway, just annoyed that it got that scratched up in a week.

Judging by the images (especially the side without the crown on it) zoomed in looks like you inflicted most of it on your own (most the scratches are horizontal and In the pattern of constant wiping it 100 times a day) Stop being obsessive.

Also I still think you got it dirtier than what you're willing to admit. There is white crud between the glass and steel (very noticeable on the image with the crown when zoomed in) and looks like crud in between all the little groves on the crown.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
You might be correct, but most of the materials suppliers I use and know will disagree with you[size=-2][1][2][/size]--904L (UB6) is primarily used over 316L for corrosion resistance, with the hardness primarily a function of how the material is worked and finished, the range being 70-95 Rockwell-B.

[size=-2]
1. Stainless Steel - Grade 904L (UNS N08904) on AZO Materials
2. Stainless Steel - Grade 316L - Properties, Fabrication and Applications (UNS S31603) on AZO Materials
[/size]

Yes. You're original inquiry pertained to Hardness. ;)

Kavier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I got mine on the 24th, and it already has some small scratches. I expected it though and a not worried about it. Stainless steel is going to scratch.

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
Not everyone subscribes to the aesthetic notion that scratches add character and that patina is something to be envied. While I am highly skilled at removing scratches, I can certainly see how someone with a highly polished watch might be concerned about scratches after two weeks. It's like finding dents on your new car.

First dent or ding sucks but after that you use the car as a tool and the way it's supposed to be used and don't care anymore.

DynaFXD

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
East Coast
hmm, well lets see what apple says, i also have the issue of the haptic feedback getting lighter then day one. If I do get a replacement, I won't be using the same microfiber rag. What are you wiping yours with?
To me, signs of wear and tear indicate a person that is getting out and doing things, not turtling up and squandering possessions as if they will last forever. It's a watch, meant to be worn, used, and seen (to some). Take it in twice a year for a nice polishing as the other fellow recommended and just let it ride. Nobody but nobody will see those abrasions. FWIW I got my SS on the 24th and (looking at it with a glass now) looks pristine and I am not rubbing it down at all. -Cheers

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
To me, signs of wear and tear indicate a person that is getting out and doing things, not turtling up and squandering possessions as if they will last forever. It's a watch, meant to be worn, used, and seen (to some). Take it in twice a year for a nice polishing as the other fellow recommended and just let it ride. Nobody but nobody will see those abrasions. FWIW I got my SS on the 24th and (looking at it with a glass now) looks pristine and I am not rubbing it down at all. -Cheers

You'll only have to have it polished twice and it will be time for Watch 2.0.

Uccle

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
Yea. Mine has a lot (self-inflicted). If you get enough surface scuffs you've made your own beautiful brushed stainless steel finish! (People pay good money for a brushed finish. :rolleyes:)

If you want to return it to a chrome finish, every once in a while gently polish it (I use a shino jewelry polishing cloth but there are a lot of alternatives)---but don't make a fettish out of it as you are more likely to do harm than good.

dyt1983

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2014
USA USA USA
Yes. You're original inquiry pertained to Hardness. ;)

I think you're having trouble following the conversation. ;)

I still believe 904L is not any harder than 316L. Stronger, more corrosion resistant. But not harder. I wasn't inquiring about it, I was stating it.

On the other side, you state that 904L is MUCH harder than 316L (emphasis yours), but almost all material suppliers disagree with you, and the grading for these alloys usually give a range of hardness where both are the same. Usually it's shown that 316L can be worked to ultimately be harder than 904L.

I hope that was clear!

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I think you're having trouble following the conversation. ;)

I still believe 904L is not any harder than 316L. Stronger, more corrosion resistant. But not harder. I wasn't inquiring about it, I was stating it.

On the other side, you state that 904L is MUCH harder than 316L (emphasis yours), but almost all material suppliers disagree with you, and the grading for these alloys usually give a range of hardness where both are the same. Usually it's shown that 316L can be worked to ultimately be harder than 904L.

I hope that was clear!

316L on the (HR B) is worked to a max of 79. 904L on the (HR B) is worked to a max of 90.

I have included a link you may find of interest. You will need to search a bit, but you'll find a plethora of information. :apple:

http://www.azom.com

NM08SRT8

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Earf
That's the nature of polished steel.

Get some mothers mag polish or flitz and a terry cloth towel and get to work polishing.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I have been babying my Apple Watch SS for just over a week now. I have only wiped it down with a micro-fiber cloth used for glasses and when I look under a desk lamp, the polished stainless steel is already full of micro scratches. It looks like I have been wearing the watch for a year. :confused:

Pics attached

Very bummed.

I guess it truly is like the SS on the back of an iPod. Can just imagine how dull the polished finish is gonna look in a year :(

Anyone else notice this on their SS? Its a beautiful watch, i really want a sapphire display too so the sport is kind of not an option :(

I shouldnt have doubted you.

LD Curb

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2015
USA
The SS on the Apple watch seems much different than that on my current Cartier watch and on a Rolex I had several years ago (and stupidly traded in for something else). The steel on those watches is sort of brushed and scratches hardly show up. My Cartier is steel with quite a bit of 18K gold and the gold is scratched, too... but none of the scratches on the gold or the steel really show up unless you look closely.

The shiny SS chrome-like surface used by Apple emphasizes the slightest scratch or imperfection. I have a SS AW coming tomorrow and am glad to hear that you all are A-OK with scratches. I normally am a bit OCD so will have to just let this go!!

trek360

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2011
The SS on the Apple watch seems much different than that on my current Cartier watch and on a Rolex I had several years ago (and stupidly traded in for something else). The steel on those watches is sort of brushed and scratches hardly show up. My Cartier is steel with quite a bit of 18K gold and the gold is scratched, too... but none of the scratches on the gold or the steel really show up unless you look closely.

The shiny SS chrome-like surface used by Apple emphasizes the slightest scratch or imperfection. I have a SS AW coming tomorrow and am glad to hear that you all are A-OK with scratches. I normally am a bit OCD so will have to just let this go!!

I have had almost a week of real word use on my SS with classic band. No scratches and I even just looked under loupe magnification to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Even the clasp which rubs against my desk and computer a lot has no scratches. Not to say it can't get scratched but I don't think there is a design flaw creating tons and tons of scratches.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Okay so UPDATE.

Apple told me that they are aware that the polished Stainless Steel easily scratches, but this is normal. They were not given any instructions on how to clean or polish the casing. They only recommended I get a lint free cloth to wipe it down.

I believe my MISTAKE was to use the same microfiber cloth I used for my glasses. I also store that cloth in my pocket. The cloth most likely picked up small particles of lint and dirt and when I went to shine my Apple Watch from smudges a couple of times a day. I inadvertently put the micro-scracthes in the watch myself. :eek:

After speaking to Apple I went to a couple of jewelry stores and asked how they would polish stainless steel. They explained that polished stainless steel will easily scratch but can easily be buffed to perfection. However, they didn't recommend having the Apple Watch professionally polished because of its electronic components.

They suggested I buy a jewelry polishing cloth and to keep it in its packaging when not in use. This will prevent lint or dirt from accumulating on the cloth. Giving it a quick wipe down at the end of the day if needed.

They actually used the polishing cloth they had in store and gave the watch a quick wipe down and it made the casing shine. No polish required, just the cloth it self. Obviously it didn't remove the micro scratches, but when the casing shines, they are not even noticeable.

Many of you have suggested "Cape Cod Metal Polish". This will be my next step. They sell at Ace Hardware nearby so I will be picking up a few polishing cloth and taking before and after pictures.

So, a few things to take away:
• Polished Stainless Steel scratches regardless of how magical Apples marketing is.
• Do not use a microfiber cloth you share with another device or object (in my case glasses).
• Do not store the cloth in your pocket or anywhere it can easily pick up dirt/lint
• Do not over analyze under a bright desk lamp :)
• Purchase a Jewelry Polishing cloth.

And finally and most important don't let the OCD get the best of you.

I will keep you updated ;)

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I didn't want to read through the entire 100 posts, so if it's mentioned I apologize. Go to Amazon and look up "cape cod cloth". I have used this on polished watches as it was recommended to me, works like a charm.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
I didn't want to read through the entire 100 posts, so if it's mentioned I apologize. Go to Amazon and look up "cape cod cloth". I have used this on polished watches as it was recommended to me, works like a charm.

Seems everyone is recommending Cape Cod. They actually sell them at Ace Hardware. I am probably going to pick up some later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.