Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

staypuftforums

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2021
With the removal of subpixel antialising, it’s clear that MacOS is now built to be used with Apple displays. Full stop. I learned the hard way.

If you are running MacOS on an Apple laptop or an iMac, you’ll have a great experience. Run it on anything less than a 4K monitor and you will be in for a world of pain.

Text is so blurry. Even the desktop wallpapers look terrible. Video is mostly fine, about the same as Windows. But man, the text. Just incredibly blurry and pixelated.

Spindel

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2020
Hey. Thinking about your complaint. Maybe you're looking for  System Preferences –> General and find there font smoothing.
Also, you can use the following terminal command instead:

defaults -currentHost write -g AppleFontSmoothing -int 0
Man I’ve tried that and setting that from default (2) to 0 looks horrible on my monitor.

phil9971

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2022
Hey. Thinking about your complaint. Maybe you're looking for  System Preferences –> General and find there font smoothing.
Also, you can use the following terminal command instead:

defaults -currentHost write -g AppleFontSmoothing -int 0
Font smoothing doesn't appear in that location in Monterey, you have to use the second option in Terminal (not that I've ever done it).

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
Y'know, I've read this complaint 1,000 times since Apple removed that sub-pixel anti-aliasing, but I've yet to see any difference with my own eyes.

Monitors at home? 1080p 24" Dells. Look fine now with my M1Pro MacBook Pro. Looked fine with my Intel Mac mini before.

Monitors at one of my clients' offices? Various sizes and brands, but all are 1080p. Looked fine with their Intel Mac minis from 2011-2021. Continue to look fine with their new M1 Mac minis we upgraded to a few months ago.

If your eyes are sensitive enough to see a difference, very sorry, sounds like you'll need a 4K or better monitor. But I genuinely don't get what all the fuss is about.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
My M1 mini is hooked up to a Late 2009 iMac 27 in Target Display Mode at QHD resolution and it looks gorgeous.

My guess is that the OP is talking about scaled mode. If you're using HD at 24 inches, you're probably using native resolution. Same with WUXGA (1,920 x 1,200).

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Where I see the M1 being shown up really badly is when I switch over to PC that is when you can see just how bad the Mac Mini is. It has only been seen I moved to the M1, every MM prior was fine.

I have a Windows PC hooked up to a Dell U2718Q and an M1 mini hooked up, also to a Dell U2718Q and both look fine. I actually have more problems on Windows because of font scaling issues. I run both at native resolution.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I have a Windows PC hooked up to a Dell U2718Q and an M1 mini hooked up, also to a Dell U2718Q and both look fine. I actually have more problems on Windows because of font scaling issues. I run both at native resolution.

Going to assume that is a 4k resolution. No issues with either machine on a 4k display. I am using a 34" 3440x1440. The difference is not even subtle. When I visit some websites the text can be almost rough, unreadable on the M1, perfect on Windows.

I got a 4k LG Ultrafine 32UN88a from a friend on Sunday to compare and with the Mac Mini, it was night and day, so much better.

Everyone has their own perception of what looks good, but as I say, for me the differences are not subtle.

staypuftforums

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2021
Y'know, I've read this complaint 1,000 times since Apple removed that sub-pixel anti-aliasing, but I've yet to see any difference with my own eyes.

Monitors at home? 1080p 24" Dells. Look fine now with my M1Pro MacBook Pro. Looked fine with my Intel Mac mini before.

Monitors at one of my clients' offices? Various sizes and brands, but all are 1080p. Looked fine with their Intel Mac minis from 2011-2021. Continue to look fine with their new M1 Mac minis we upgraded to a few months ago.

If your eyes are sensitive enough to see a difference, very sorry, sounds like you'll need a 4K or better monitor. But I genuinely don't get what all the fuss is about.
Have you run Windows on any of these displays? As others have mentioned, the difference is night and day.

I find MacOS much more enjoyable to use and might even keep the mini for that reason. But the text is rough.

phil9971

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2022
That's a 4K monitor. I'm specifically warning people to avoid the Mini if they do not have a 4K screen.
As mentioned above, I have a 27" 2560 x 1440 display and the text is crystal clear. It sounds like you have problems with yours but don't assume everyone else will! (and yes, I have run windows on this display as well).

Why not send us a screen shot so we can see the extent of the problem you're suffering?

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
Have you run Windows on any of these displays? As others have mentioned, the difference is night and day.

I find MacOS much more enjoyable to use and might even keep the mini for that reason. But the text is rough.
Only via Parallels, so I feel like I probably wouldn't have seen a difference there since macOS is still drawing the screen. Next time I've got hands on a Windows machine that's near these monitors, I'll give it a shot and see if I can tell. I'm happy to be wrong! ;)

At the office, we got new monitors when we switched to Mac starting back in 2011, so none of those have ever been connected to a PC.

phil9971

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2022
Multiple threads on this forum about it, on the apple community forum, Reddit and so on. If it works for you then good. Don't assume just because you are having no issues nobody else is.
Ehm I wasn't.

What I do disagree with is the Op's title of this post "Do not buy a Mac mini unless you have a high resolution display (4K+) display". This sweeping statement is incorrect and should be re-phrased to provide a word of caution rather than ostensibly being click-bait.

Anyway, it's an interesting discussion and I wonder why it's happening?

Colstan

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2020
This is a matter of personal preference. Some people are fine with a standard resolution display, others are bothered by it. I'm in the second camp. I had an old 1680x1050 Dell that I used with my 2018 Mac mini. I stayed on Mojave for as long as possible, because Catalina onward gave me physical headaches due to sharpness issues, no matter what terminal settings I changed. I switched to a 21.5-inch 4K UltraFine last Summer and have been able to use Monterey without issue. What causes me problems may be perfectly acceptable to others.

ibran

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2006
Minneapolis
Agreed. It's 2022 — if you're buying a display for anything but gaming, 163ppi should be the bare minimum you'd consider.

The old standard of 110ppi looks bad on any OS, but its saving grace is that it's relatively cheap and easy to find 110ppi displays with >120Hz refresh rates if gaming is your thing.

August West

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2009
Land of Enchantment
I'm going to get an M1 Mini to replace my 2012 Mini which is stuck on Catalina and intend on keeping my 24" Cinema Display since it looks fine to me plus I think it is a nice looking monitor. I can always pick up another monitor later if it is bad as some claim but I though the font complaints were related to a way the OS renders rather than the machine.

staypuftforums

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2021
As mentioned above, I have a 27" 2560 x 1440 display and the text is crystal clear.
Text cannot be crystal clear on such a display. The resolution is simply too low. Your tolerance for blurry text seems to be higher than mine, but text will most certainly be blurry and pixelated on any sub 4K display while running a modern version of MacOS. You simply can't work around the problem of a low resolution display without utilizing subpixel antialiasing (like Windows and Macs prior to Mojave). It's impossible. The pixels just aren't there to make it work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.