Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I have a 2010 Mac mini that has a bootable partition with Snow Leopard on it and another partition that has a bootable El Capitan (crapitan) volume on it.
Monitor is a Samsung 1080p display.
Snow Leopard text is SOOO much more legible than El Cap. El Cap looks like crap in comparison, but mostly it’s the whole El Capitan interface - Tiny Text. Dim gray fonts. Very hard to see.

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
not sure what the OP is referring to. running MacBook Pro 2021 16" M1 Max with my acer predator x34p ultra wide 3440 x 1440 and it seems to be working perfectly. I used the same monitor with M1 Mac mini and 2019 MacBook Pro 16"!

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I think the problem is when people have an iPhone/iPad then expect everything to be in 'retina mode' on their computer.
My dual 27'' QHD look great to me, but then I am not precious about things being retina ....?

Last edited:

kenny1wk

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
Just wanted to share my experience with the M1 mini. I had been running a 2012 mini with 2 Dell u2412m monitors hooked up. Worked great, but wanted a newer mini. I just purchased a 2020 M1 mini, 16GB ram, 512 GB SSD from TigerDirect. It was listed for $1069 and if you used PayPal you would receive 10% off,which brought it down to $962.10 plus tax. Arrived yesterday, and I hooked it up scared the old 12 monitor wouldn't have clear text, etc.. Totally surprised, it looks pretty good on Default 1920x1200. The text are as clear as it was on my 2012 mini. One monitor hooked with DVI to HDMI adapter to mini, the other with a USB-C to DisplayPort cable to monitor. Both work pretty good for me.

Attachments

• IMG_4375.jpeg
    IMG_4375.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG_4376.jpeg
    IMG_4376.jpeg
    153.6 KB · Views: 458

Joestanxx

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2018
With the removal of subpixel antialising, it’s clear that MacOS is now built to be used with Apple displays. Full stop. I learned the hard way.

If you are running MacOS on an Apple laptop or an iMac, you’ll have a great experience. Run it on anything less than a 4K monitor and you will be in for a world of pain.

Text is so blurry. Even the desktop wallpapers look terrible. Video is mostly fine, about the same as Windows. But man, the text. Just incredibly blurry and pixelated.
using a lg 32" 1080p with and m1 Mac mini both text and video look great

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
So I decided to go with the LG Ultrafine 4k 31.5" (32UN88A). Smaller than my existing 34" 3440x1440 LG display.

Yeah, absolutely night and day. On this monitor I am typing on MR, the text is crisp, sharp and so good to read. Everything on the M1 Mac Mini without sounding over the top has been transformed.

Reactions: staypuftforums

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
Current display plans for Mac Studio...

31.5" 2560x1440 & 27" 1920x1080 displays...

If those are unacceptable in regards to font clarity, then I will try a 31.5" 4K display (which belongs to my son)...

Ideally, I would like a 24" 4K in portrait (to the left) & a 27" 5K in landscape (to the right)...

ibarnett

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
Gold Coast, Australia
With the removal of subpixel antialising, it’s clear that MacOS is now built to be used with Apple displays. Full stop. I learned the hard way.

If you are running MacOS on an Apple laptop or an iMac, you’ll have a great experience. Run it on anything less than a 4K monitor and you will be in for a world of pain.

Text is so blurry. Even the desktop wallpapers look terrible. Video is mostly fine, about the same as Windows. But man, the text. Just incredibly blurry and pixelated.
I have previously used Mac mini 2018 and now M1 Mini both with my Samsung 49".
I have no problem with text on either Mac Mini.
Even with my old eyesight (74 years old) the text looks fine.
YMMV depending on monitor & settings.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I have previously used Mac mini 2018 and now M1 Mini both with my Samsung 49".
I have no problem with text on either Mac Mini.
Even with my old eyesight (74 years old) the text looks fine.
YMMV depending on monitor & settings.

If it wasn't for the fact I was also using my previous 34" with both a PC and the M1 MM I probably wouldn't have been so bothered by it only as I had nothing to compare it with. But switching to the PC and then visiting forums like this one and other sites there was a very obvious difference in font clarity where the MM looked really bad in comparison to the PC.

I agree that YMMV between monitors but equally you can't get away from the point that Apple is designing for higher resolution first with macOS. Windows on the other hand do not. This is where the difference is coming from for me when comparing the two.

From what I can see it is likely to be a more visible issue with ultrawide than others.

It is a bit harsh to say don't buy unless you have a 4k monitor, equally it is important to appreciate there could be an issue there.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
It is a bit harsh to say don't buy unless you have a 4k monitor, equally it is important to appreciate there could be an issue there.
In the same way, in a couple of years people will be saying 'don't buy unless you have a 6k Apple display'.....:p
Any monitor that works is useable, some people don't care for retina displays for example.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
In the same way, in a couple of years people will be saying 'don't buy unless you have a 6k Apple display'.....:p
Any monitor that works is useable, some people don't care for retina displays for example.

Completely agree, I don't care for monitors at all, they just need to work. This issue only seemed to appear with the M1, there are threads on here about documenting compatible monitors with the M1 as so many people were having issues.

I only got triggered by it when seeing the differences between macOS and Windows. Had I not had a Windows device connected I would not have had a foot in this discussion I suspect as I would have just been used to what I had.

It just amazed me how bad one is vs the other.

PandaPunch

macrumors regular
May 4, 2015
Yea, I couldn't put my finger on it, but sometimes text does feel weird compared to Windows but I didn't have the words for it. Not like I can do anything right now though, I don't have the cash for a 4K monitor and if I did buy a new monitor, it would have to be 27 inches at least.

staypuftforums

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2021
Yea, I couldn't put my finger on it, but sometimes text does feel weird compared to Windows but I didn't have the words for it. Not like I can do anything right now though, I don't have the cash for a 4K monitor and if I did buy a new monitor, it would have to be 27 inches at least.
There’s a ton of pretty affordable 4K monitors at that size. I’m stuck because the only real option below 27” is the LG 24” 4K at $879 CAD.

Reactions: George Dawes

PandaPunch

macrumors regular
May 4, 2015
Considering how affordable 4K TVs are these days it’s pretty easy to get one and plug the mini into that

Really don’t see what the problem is ?‍♀️
The problem is that I don’t have the money even for an affordable tv. I’ve been lucky enough to get the Mac Mini in the first place.

Reactions: Jimmy James

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"The problem is that I don’t have the money even for an affordable tv. I’ve been lucky enough to get the Mac Mini in the first place."

If you can't afford a 4k display, then get either a 24" or 27" 1080p display.
Or, a 27" 1440p display.

A list of displays that may be of use to you:
IPS Monitor List: Best AHVA, PLS & IPS LCD Displays

PandaPunch

macrumors regular
May 4, 2015
"The problem is that I don’t have the money even for an affordable tv. I’ve been lucky enough to get the Mac Mini in the first place."

If you can't afford a 4k display, then get either a 24" or 27" 1080p display.
Or, a 27" 1440p display.

A list of displays that may be of use to you:
IPS Monitor List: Best AHVA, PLS & IPS LCD Displays
I'll keep this in mind when I have more money, I already have a decent 1080p display.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
It's also important to consider font sizes vs pixel densities and seating distance.

I have three separate Macs sitting very close to each other in my home office.

1) 2017 27" iMac (5K - 5120x2880 - 218 ppi) with Monterey
2) 2014 Mac mini with 30" Cinema HD Display (2.5K - 2560x1600 - 101 ppi) with Monterey
3) 2010 27" iMac (2.5K - 2560x1440 - 109 ppi) with High Sierra

Up close, the best text clarity is the 27" iMac 5K Retina, not surprisingly.
However, the surprising part is even for text work, I usually prefer to use the Mac mini with 30" non-Retina display, even though I'm running Monterey on it without sub-pixel anti-aliasing.
The 2010 27" iMac non-Retina is my least favourite, despite the fact it has sub-pixel anti-aliasing.

Why?

Text sizing on both the 27" iMacs, Retina and non-Retina, is exactly the same, but it's small enough that it becomes harder to make out at my preferred seating distance. On the non-Retina 27", it's just annoying overall. It's noticeably better on the Retina 27", but the default text size is small enough that it's still an annoyance. To make it feel larger, I need to sit closer, but this is a problem since it becomes harder to focus with my progressive lenses if I sit so close, and I find it tiring over time. A solution to this is to get dedicated computer glasses, but they are not suited for other uses, so I'd have to be swapping glasses all the time, which is even more annoying, and which also makes me nauseated.

OTOH, for the 30" non-Retina display, the default text size is large enough that I can sit at a reasonable distance that makes it less tiring to focus upon.

Thus my holy grail screen would be a Retina screen but with a LOWER pixel density than the 27" 5K iMac or 27" 5K Studio Display. My holy grail screen would be a 5K 5120x2880 29-30" screen, which would provide a pixel density of 196-203 ppi.

However, in the meantime, I will continue to use my 101 ppi 30" Cinema Display. And in fact, when the Mac mini gets updated with M1 Pro or M2, I will buy one to use with that same 30" non-Retina display.

What about a 4K 27" screen? Nah. I don't really like those. The font sizes are even larger but the screen real estate is not wide enough. I want at least 2.5/5K wide, not 2K/4K wide.

ibarnett

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
Gold Coast, Australia
As a further refinement, I found after reading an article on "show window title icons" in System Preferences, Accessibility, Display, there is also "increase contrast".
I have found my text is even sharper after ticking this option.
Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 09.47.09.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.