Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Did you get your iphone 4S yet? What version?

I asume the 32gb because of the battery?

People need to stop posting unwanted posts. It's pointless

Here are some news about the current work on the A5 research.

@planetbeing escaped from the sandbox with the help of @saurik. Thanks to their awesome work, there should be nothing left blocking for the A5 jailbreak.

Now it should be a matter of days. Still no precise ETA of course.

We all want this to be finished ASAP, we're getting tired!

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
Once they've managed to jb 5.0.1 will they have the same problems with 5.1? Or is this the bulk of the hard work done now for a5 jb's?

war eagle

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Once they've managed to jb 5.0.1 will they have the same problems with 5.1? Or is this the bulk of the hard work done now for a5 jb's?

New problems. This jailbreak is a software exploit which Apple will surely patch for 5.1

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
Ah, I thought that it was purely issues with the processor. When's 5.1 out? I imagine the jb is being held back for that so its not fixed until 5.1.1

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
Ah, I thought that it was purely issues with the processor. When's 5.1 out? I imagine the jb is being held back for that so its not fixed until 5.1.1

No, the jail breakers have said repeatedly that people should upgrade to 5.0.1 while they still can (before 5.1 comes out and the signing window closes), because that is the version that will be jailbroken.

chkenwing

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2010
The main question is if Apple do fix the battery issues in 5.1, people are left with the dilemma of having a jailbreak and put up with terrible battery life or no jailbreak and better battery life.

I think I'll go with the former. I've put up with it this long, what is a little longer?

bwthor

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2011
The main question is if Apple do fix the battery issues in 5.1, people are left with the dilemma of having a jailbreak and put up with terrible battery life or no jailbreak and better battery life.

I think I'll go with the former. I've put up with it this long, what is a little longer?

When the fix for the battery is released, wouldn't some talented dev be able to pull that from 5.1 and release a patch since you are jailbroken, or doesn't it work that way?

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
When the fix for the battery is released, wouldn't some talented dev be able to pull that from 5.1 and release a patch since you are jailbroken, or doesn't it work that way?

I think it depends on what causes the battery issues. If its multiple things I doubt they will. If it is a specific line of code and they know what and where it is, then maybe.

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
Funny and relevant Twitter thread:

71835dc4.jpg

GHII

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2008
Well I went out and upgraded to the iPad 2 because of this thread, bring on the jailbreak

danielowenuk

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
Here is the latest from pod2g's blog:

http://pod2g-ios.blogspot.com/2012/01/4s-jailbreak.html

iPhone 4S 5.0.1 untethered
My friend @DHowett made a video of an untethered 4S iPhone 4,1 running iOS 5.0.1 some days ago.

@DHowett is a famous iOS developer and a member of the Chronic Dev Team.

Only a few to wait now.

And the link to the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rDBHXbwgdc4

Watched that this morning.

Was anyone else surprised that the version wasn't shown! Hmm...

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Meh, I upgrade to 5.0 the moment I got my iPad 2, knowing that I wouldn't be able to jailbreak for a log time. To this date, I have no clue why I did such a thing :p

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
On the one hand, it looks like it might be time to bite the upgrade bullet.

On the other hand, man I'm glad I didn't upgrade two weeks ago when they were originally saying to!

braaains

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2011
An update just now by pod2g...

http://pod2g-ios.blogspot.com/2012/01/iphone-4s-and-ipad-2-untether-to-be.html

Hello dear readers,

I know the wait was long, too much long, but it's about to end! You'd be able to free your iPhone in some hours.

A tool named Absinthe and developped by the Chronic Dev Team will install the untether on your device. Also the iPhone Dev Team will release a CLI (command line) tool to help diagnose issues and repair things if it goes wrong.

This is a little scary I know, but the chance you break something is really small, since we made lots of tests to verify the process on different devices. But it is the first time we use the backup / restore functions of iTunes to install software, and there are maybe things we are not aware of.

As you already know, different security researchers put a log of energy to work out the different issues we had to install the untether on new devices.

Thus, a unified PayPal account was opened so that everyone who worked on the A5 exploits will receive a fair split of your contributions. Here is the link : contribute
As usual, contributions are not needed but are appreciated by developpers. By the way, thank you very much again for everyone who already participated. This is real nice.

Here is the complete list of Absinthe supported devices :

iPhone 4S running iOS 5.0, 5.0.1 (9A405 and 9A406)
iPad 2 Wifi/GSM/CDMA running iOS 5.0.1

Also, here is MuscleNerd's which explains the whole story in a really precise way: iPhone Dev Team blog post

interesting!

engelke2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2010
Could FRIDAY be Funday? It would be great to jailbreak when I get home from work and spend all weekend enjoying a re-jailbroken iPad2!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.