Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
I do get the feeling Apple thinks its can simply force its selection of American networks onto the rest of the world in the interest of simplicity.
If so it's a bit arrogant, every other country has their own unique structure and culture when it comes to television... maybe they just haven't got around to accommodating us yet. I look at 80% of the icons on my Apple TV with complete indifference, I don't know or care what these things are - I want the iPlayer and 4OD.

Can you not Airplay to the ATV from the apps?

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
All the gloom and doom about these upgrades, I am almost positive a new Apple TV and/or interface will be revealed soon. It will be designed around the new OS Yosemite and iOS8, it would be completely illogical to just say fugg it and have that iOS6 looking thing on Apple TV.

And features like Spotlight and a store will be there. Apple isn't inept, they are just getting all their ducks in a row after Jobs.

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
Exactly!

The thing that boggles my mind is that non-subscription based TV still requires a Cable Provider account.

I can understand things like HBO, SHO, etc. But why do local/free networks require it?

That annoys me as well...however, what really gets me is when the same companies put their content on the iPhone with an app and that doesn't require a cable subscription. We just need to face that at this point the companies are just messing with us and their goal is to make internet television as crappy as possible for as long as possible so they can continue to support an antiquated business model that consumers don't really want.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I would so love to watch this channel. Especially the news shows as ABC i think does a good job. But I refuse to go back to having a cable subscription just so I can use the Apple TV channels. This is just rubbish. I bought the Apple TV and cut the cable. And now I have to go back to cable? Uh, no...

Unless this content is offered without neededing cable it really is worthless, IMHO. I will even pay a subscription to the channels I want to watch. But I will not be beholden to the cable companies and what channels they tell me I must pay for in order to get the ones I want. That is just more rubbish.

/rant

bluboi917

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2010
Boston Local

Nice to see they added the Boston affiliate to the local lineup. I really like the app for Apple TV.

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
I would so love to watch this channel. Especially the news shows as ABC i think does a good job. But I refuse to go back to having a cable subscription just so I can use the Apple TV channels. This is just rubbish. I bought the Apple TV and cut the cable. And now I have to go back to cable? Uh, no...

Unless this content is offered without neededing cable it really is worthless, IMHO. I will even pay a subscription to the channels I want to watch. But I will not be beholden to the cable companies and what channels they tell me I must pay for in order to get the ones I want. That is just more rubbish.

/rant

This ABC News app is accessible without a cable or any other subscription. The ABC Network app requires a Cable provider log in on the other hand.

ncollingridge

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Can you not Airplay to the ATV from the apps?

Are you honestly suggesting that is equivalent?

Maybe that is why we don't have the apps - Apple can't be bothered to do native apps for anywhere apart from the US because the rest of the world doesn't matter to them, and they think we will be happy with a second-rate solution.

MetalHaze

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
Boston, MA
A good start. If people could get live news with Apple TV, many people would cut their cable cord so fast.... I've always said, if I could just get a subscription for 7-10 channels and supplement that with iTunes Season Passes, that's all I would need

100% incorrect. No one cares about live news to cut the cord. People care about live sports.

If Apple had live local sports with no blackout dates people would cut their cords in a heartbeat. You can get your news from ANYWHERE.

The same cannot be said about sports. News is NOT the driving factor for cord cutters.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Here is the problem. The networks provide the content for free (with support from local commercials). There is nothing stopping them from providing that same feed to Apple, Roku or Google Chrome for free as well, and allowing those providers to retransmit on their dime, not the network's. Cable companies will not provide their lines, service, etc for free since they are carrying the cost of the infrastructure to get said signal to you. Apple, Roku or Google could charge you if they wanted (or not) and in this scenario, they are no different than Time Warner, Verizon, Comcast, Cox, etc... They have just become an alternative delivery method from the cable companies. Commercial rates could be adjusted to cover the expenses in providing the digital signal to these new providers.

ATv already has the pipeline, using the cable line / DSL line you already pay for, so this is really an issue of whether or not your local station should be able to charge you for the same signal that is otherwise free based on how you, the end user, receive it.

Apple cannot retransmit content without paying for it like everyone else.

You are NOT getting content by cable or internet for free. The cable companies get charged a lot of money for transmission rights.

Last edited:

Identity Fraud

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
So this is what Jobs meant when he 'cracked it' regarding modern television. That actual "Apple TV" set rumor fizzled out after years of speculation. It could be that the idea Jobs had was to build a platform of customers, ready to attract the networks to request an addition to the gird without being directly suited. It gives Apple more leverage in a way, maybe Jobs idea was TV ala-carte and this is the start of that change.

tuna9720

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2008
The competition has improved in the wireless service industry, therefore prices are rapidly getting more reasonable. A family of 4 w/unlimited everything can pay only $100 in todays prices. Which is not bad compare to 5 years ago.

I think same thing should occur in tv service. Prices are crazy high to just watch a few channels that you would like. Still freaking contracts and termination fees. If you are out of your promotion period, it's another challenge for you to keep it low.

Apple can enter to this market and change the game easily. It's a forgotten market I think. Thing is they already made the Apple Tv which is sitting there and waiting for the big move for years. Am waiting to cut the cable for any good reason.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
A good start. If people could get live news with Apple TV, many people would cut their cable cord so fast.... I've always said, if I could just get a subscription for 7-10 channels and supplement that with iTunes Season Passes, that's all I would need
When that day comes, prepare to see Internet service prices skyrocket for non-bundled customers.

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
With retina and 4K my iPad and Mac screens are actually much more detailed than a tv. The only thing nice about a tv is watching things as a family with good audio. I myself have no fear that theater size screens will "overwhelm" today's youth just because of YouTube. Computers aren't the preferred method of watching content because the screens are the biggest, but because getting the content you want on them is easier and involves less steps on them.

Uh, no.. unless you watch everything in 4k you won't see any difference because the content nowadays is max 1080p.. and if you have a good tv it won't look any worse than on your mac/ipad.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
the content is 1080p though...

Yeah, with big @ss pixels though. 1080p is same amount of lines on a 32" or a 50". The best HDTV picture I ever had was on my Samsung 26" HDTV, way back in like 2004. It was one of the last glass tube tvs, in HD. The blacks were amazing and 1080p on a 26" was the best picture I ever saw, outside a 4k TV. Now we get the same lines on a 50", and unless you are sitting way back, the picture doesn't look good. Part of the reason is the cable providers are compressing the signal too. So much artifacting. I remember PBS over the air 1080, no artifacting. Then I watch sports on NBC HD, horrible.

----------

100% incorrect. No one cares about live news to cut the cord. People care about live sports. You can get your news from ANYWHERE. News is NOT the driving factor for cord cutters.

Well, first you are 100% incorrect, because for you to be 100% correct, I would have to not care about live news. Second, I can get my live news from anywhere? Well, please tell me so I can tune in... News IS the driving factor for me.

As for sports, until the leagues and networks get rid of the 20th century rules about local market games, people will have to deal with at minimum an antenna. Supreme court killed Aereo as that could have helped a great deal. If Aereo lives, and CNN or other news outlets simply stream live or offer direct access, cord cutting is a no brainer.

The problem is cable companes are the media companies are the distributurs own the content. That is the reason why Netflix will have to be $19.99/mo within 5 years. Cable companies want us to have to pay 10 different content providers what will amount to more than a cable bundle.

You can see the writing on the wall. Paying for Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, etc. Pretty soon it's cheaper to get a cable bundle. This is what they want.

I can't wait for the day when I pay for content, not networks or channels. I may want to subscribe to 5-10 channels, but I want to pay for shows, not channels. I don't want AMC, I just want to pay for Walking Dead. I don't want Comedy Central, I just want to pay for South Park. We can do that to some extent with iTunes Season Passes, but until the content can be offered to us directly, cutting out the middle-men, we all have to suck it up and pay multiple companies for bad content.

----------

When that day comes, prepare to see Internet service prices skyrocket for non-bundled customers.

Yup, it's already happening. I pay almost $50/mo for slow service. In 1995 I had Netcom dialup, unlimited internet (actually really unlimited, they never bugged me once and I downloaded everything), only $19.95/mo. And that was at the dawn of the web. Now I'm paying almost 3x that but the quality of service isn't going up as the price is.

I mean they start DSL at like $35.00 or more per month. And for $50.00/mo, I get like 6Mbps down, like 2 up. I mean really?

I can see it now. $60.00/mo. internet, 200GB cap. Want more bandwidth, pay $20.00 more for the "power" package. Now I'm at $80.00/mo just to have internet access and stream content. Or, simply pay them $100.00 and get internet all a cable bundle. Want the "fast lane" package? Add $20.00/mo more. Now I'm at $120.00 when all I wanted was an internet connection and now I'm back in a bundle.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Are you honestly suggesting that is equivalent?

Maybe that is why we don't have the apps - Apple can't be bothered to do native apps for anywhere apart from the US because the rest of the world doesn't matter to them, and they think we will be happy with a second-rate solution.

Did you see me say anywhere that it was equivalent? (no).

I merely asked if that poster could do it.

He/she clearly has an ATV, but they may not have an iOS device to Airplay from, hence why I was asking if they could AirPlay...

thatisme

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2010
United States
You are NOT getting content by cable or internet for free. The cable companies get charged a lot of money for transmission rights.

That is exactly what I said in my post. The cable company has a cost built into their delivery mechanism and they feel they need to charge for you to get channels from that access. So, the broadcast networks said if the cable outlets are going to charge for our free programming, then we will charge you to retransmit it.

The difference here is that Apple, Roku and Google's delivery mechanism is piggy backing on already existing infrastructure and they could provide the programming free of charge if they wanted to to break from the cable mold. However, the broadcast networks would need to recognize that there is no cost passed on to the consumer to access their programming and agree that they would provide the free OTA signal to these providers to rebroadcast at no cost.

The Networks would need to adapt their business model to reflect the digital era. Remember that the the cable agreements were struck well before the internet was widely available and the concept of "streaming" wasn't even developed in the form that we know it as today.

Mike Haas

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2014
The only thing I miss about the US is...

...I'd be able to enjoy Apple TV content if I were there. There is very little content I can enjoy here in Germany. Its all blocked. I think its funny that the Sky News "Live" feed is blocked due to my location, but I can take my iPad, go to the Sky News app, and throw the live stream up on the TV from Airplay. I cannot say how much of this blocked content is due to Germany's awful "GEMA" organization or to Apple's licensing scheme. In any event, it sucks.

So why use the Apple TV? Because its still a wonderful media server and player and because Apple's own TV and Movie content is pretty decent for the price, over and above my own content and Apple seems pleased to take money from my US credit card and allow me to shop in its US store.

I realize this is off-topic, but if any of you are experiencing severe frame dropping on high bit-rate movies or TV Shows, Apple is still signing version 6.1.4 of the firmware. This cleans that issue up very nicely except "Extras" content is missing. Turning off any "motion enhancement" settings on your TV set is also a must. Are there any prohibitions on posting the site that carries the older firmware?

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
It was rather implied in the way that you phrased your answer, I'm afraid.

You may have interpreted that, but it really wasn't implied.

I simply asked a question whether the OP could Airplay to his/her ATV.

I made no implication (or mention) that Airplay-ing to an Apple TV was equivalent to an app directly on the ATV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.