Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
That is exactly what I said in my post. The cable company has a cost built into their delivery mechanism and they feel they need to charge for you to get channels from that access. So, the broadcast networks said if the cable outlets are going to charge for our free programming, then we will charge you to retransmit it.

The difference here is that Apple, Roku and Google's delivery mechanism is piggy backing on already existing infrastructure and they could provide the programming free of charge if they wanted to to break from the cable mold. However, the broadcast networks would need to recognize that there is no cost passed on to the consumer to access their programming and agree that they would provide the free OTA signal to these providers to rebroadcast at no cost.

The Networks would need to adapt their business model to reflect the digital era. Remember that the the cable agreements were struck well before the internet was widely available and the concept of "streaming" wasn't even developed in the form that we know it as today.

Actually the cable companies don't want to have to pay to retransmit free OTA content. It's the networks/studios that has the cable companies over a barrel. You have seen channels going dark when the networks want more from cable companies in order to get content their customers want. I.e... You want Showtime? Well you're going to have to pony up for CBS.

The biggest fear of the networks vs Aereo was not content being "stolen." It was that if they had won, they would not be able to strong arm cable companies into paying retransmission fees. Because every Cable company already has the infrastructure to do the same as Aereo.

In fact the networks themselves have the capability to deliver OTA content via internet right now. But they will not due to them making huge $$$$ with the current model

DELLsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Fine. But the problem is, there aren't many interesting shows on ABC!

This and there is absolutely no credibility with any of these news outfits today. Throw all the money you want at Apple, ABC. It won't change that you'll always be a water carrier for liberal government. YOu can't spin your hack journalism as anything but complicity - no matter how you spew forth your propaganda.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
Theses cable channel apps are of no interest to me since I don't have cable. When I did, DirectTV did not qualify either. LOL.

fixbroken

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2014
Who the hell are these people watching ABC live on AppleTV? Why wouldn't they just watch it directly from the cable box - you know, since it requires a cable subscription?

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
If ABC shut down all of their affiliate contracts and only streamed their network via Internet, they'd save a lot of money and so much spectrum would be freed up.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
Uh, no.. unless you watch everything in 4k you won't see any difference because the content nowadays is max 1080p.. and if you have a good tv it won't look any worse than on your mac/ipad.

1080p near you is more detailed than 1080p far away. What exactly is the argument here? If I hold my mac screen in front of my tv, both at a normal using distance, the mac covers the tv with lots of room to spare. If you want to be so obsessed with TVs then go ahead but no matter what you argue you aren't really gaining anything as far as experience.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
That annoys me as well...however, what really gets me is when the same companies put their content on the iPhone with an app and that doesn't require a cable subscription. We just need to face that at this point the companies are just messing with us and their goal is to make internet television as crappy as possible for as long as possible so they can continue to support an antiquated business model that consumers don't really want.

haha yup!

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
1080p near you is more detailed than 1080p far away. What exactly is the argument here? If I hold my mac screen in front of my tv, both at a normal using distance, the mac covers the tv with lots of room to spare. If you want to be so obsessed with TVs then go ahead but no matter what you argue you aren't really gaining anything as far as experience.

That makes absolutely no sense.. 1080p is 1080p is 1080p. If you have bad eyes you may need the screen right in front of you, but the resolution stays the same. It can't get worse or better just because you're sitting further away.

But hey, if you're good with watching movies on your laptop or tabelt, so be it, I don't want to convince you of something you don't like.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
That makes absolutely no sense.. 1080p is 1080p is 1080p. If you have bad eyes you may need the screen right in front of you, but the resolution stays the same. It can't get worse or better just because you're sitting further away.

But hey, if you're good with watching movies on your laptop or tabelt, so be it, I don't want to convince you of something you don't like.

It makes perfect sense, more detail can be seen up close than far away. Of course being too close to a screen actually makes it appear fuzzier.. but that is the actual picture, just clearer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.