Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

content

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2015
I just purchased a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017) and I'm noticing a random color tint change. It is very slight and subtle, the screen goes from a bluish hue to a pinkish hue. The actual change in color is not very noticeable, but the shift when it occurs is noticeable. You can see the screen suddenly shift to a different hue or shade. It's like an abrupt transition to a different tint, from bluish to pinkish.

The problem is that I see no rhyme or reason for the tint shift. Has anyone noticed the same thing? I've seen it occur when launching or closing Safari a few times, once while in Safari opening more tabs, once while in Terminal, and once when changing the text background color in TextEdit. It happens maybe once a day. Nightshift is off, automatic brightness adjustment is off, and I am using the "Color LCD" profile.

I reset the SMC, NVRAM, and cleared the color profile cache with Terminal. Nothing has solved it. Sometimes I can go a whole day without seeing it. It’s random, and usually occurs once a day. The change in hue is nothing major, but because it is so abrupt you will notice it.

Seems like a software issue, but hard to tell... Is anyone else seeing this? I suppose without a whitish background, it will look like a brightness change to you as opposed to a tint change?

Last edited:

Rocko99991

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2017
I just purchased a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017) and I'm noticing a random color tint change. It is very slight and subtle, the screen goes from a bluish hue to a pinkish hue. The actual change in color is not very noticeable, but the shift when it occurs is noticeable. You can see the screen suddenly shift to a different hue or shade. It's like a gentle transition to a different hue, nothing violent...

The problem is that I see no rhyme or reason for the color shift. Has anyone noticed the same thing? I've seen it occur when launching or closing Safari a few times, once while in Safari opening more tabs, once while in Terminal, and once when changing the text background color in TextEdit. It happens maybe once a day. Nightshift is off, automatic brightness adjustment is off, and I am using the "Color LCD" profile.

I reset the SMC, NVRAM, and cleared the color profile cache with Terminal. Nothing has solved it. Sometimes I can go a whole day without seeing it. It’s random, and usually occurs once a day. The change in hue is nothing major, but because it is so abrupt you will notice it.

Seems like a software issue, but hard to tell... Is anyone else seeing this? I suppose without a whitish background, it will look like a brightness change to you as opposed to a tint change?
I had issue where the tint is uneven across the screen, but it didn't change at all-it was like that all the time so I returned it. I am not sure what you are seeing. Can you replicate it on command?

content

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2015
I had issue where the tint is uneven across the screen, but it didn't change at all-it was like that all the time so I returned it. I am not sure what you are seeing. Can you replicate it on command?
The screen looks fine, no uneven tint issue. It is a very slight and subtle shift in color temperature that occurs at random times. There is nothing specific that sets it off, as far as I can tell anyway. I have tried to replicate it, but I can't.

Thanks for your help

Rocko99991

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2017
The screen looks fine, no uneven tint issue. It is a very slight and subtle shift in color temperature that occurs at random times. There is nothing specific that sets it off, as far as I can tell anyway. I have tried to replicate it, but I can't.

Thanks for your help

Hmm, and when it occurs it's across the entire screen evenly? If you get to the point that you can replicate it, then you can have Apple and other help more. Have you done a delete/restore of the OS?

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
Does the 2017 have "two" video cards like earlier ones have had? If so, could it be when it switches between them. When I look at the specs a Radeon Pro 560 with 4GB memory is mentioned (with automatic graphics switching) and a Intel HD Graphics 630 is listed below it. No option to order just the Intel card which tells me it has both.

The tint change you are seeing could be different video cards providing the signal and/or whatever the automatic graphics switching is. In the past, the more powerful video card used more power and provided the best display/performance. Then when you wanted to power save or weren't doing graphics intensive work, use the lesser card.

content

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2015
Does the 2017 have "two" video cards like earlier ones have had? If so, could it be when it switches between them. When I look at the specs a Radeon Pro 560 with 4GB memory is mentioned (with automatic graphics switching) and a Intel HD Graphics 630 is listed below it. No option to order just the Intel card which tells me it has both.

The tint change you are seeing could be different video cards providing the signal and/or whatever the automatic graphics switching is. In the past, the more powerful video card used more power and provided the best display/performance. Then when you wanted to power save or weren't doing graphics intensive work, use the lesser card.

I also suspected that this was the cause, in fact I was certain that this HAD to be the cause. So I just ignored it. Then after checking for this specifically, I discovered that the MBP is never using or switching to the dGPU when it happens. It is always on the integrated Intel GPU when it occurs and it is not switching at the time. Toggling the dGPU in Energy Saver also does not result in this display glitch, or any display glitch for that matter, which is shocking. My 2015 with dGPU would always produce a glitch when switching when any resolution above default was being used.

I'm truly stumped. I'm thinking that maybe I should clean install the OS, but it's a serious inconvenience. I was just wondering if anyone saw this as well? If it matters, my display brightness was set on max every time it occurred.

english_mac_in_ny

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2017
Do you have Night Shift active in the display settings? It's actually a feature to reduce eyestrain during night, but it is off by default, so I am not sure if that is it, since you would have set it up and know about it.

edgr.sanchez

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2013
I just purchased a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017) and I'm noticing a random color tint change. It is very slight and subtle, the screen goes from a bluish hue to a pinkish hue. The actual change in color is not very noticeable, but the shift when it occurs is noticeable. You can see the screen suddenly shift to a different hue or shade. It's like an abrupt transition to a different tint, from bluish to pinkish.

The problem is that I see no rhyme or reason for the tint shift. Has anyone noticed the same thing? I've seen it occur when launching or closing Safari a few times, once while in Safari opening more tabs, once while in Terminal, and once when changing the text background color in TextEdit. It happens maybe once a day. Nightshift is off, automatic brightness adjustment is off, and I am using the "Color LCD" profile.

Did you ever get this resolved? I have the same exact issue and it's most apparent when I'm working on something with a white background, for example writing a paper in Pages/Word or browsing the web.

It goes from what seems like pure white to sort of pink-ish in an instant. I do not have Night Shift turned on and I don't use f.lux, I know what those are and I am positive that this is not the issue.

I've had this happen randomly and I also cannot duplicate it, which makes me fear what'll happen if I take it in for service.

I have other issues with the MBP as it is, including a random loud popping sound coming from the aluminum body near the hinge, the trackpad glitching when it's cold, and the B key on my keyboard typing double randomly despite me having cleaned it with compressed air over and over after this started happening.

content

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2015
Did you ever get this resolved? I have the same exact issue and it's most apparent when I'm working on something with a white background, for example writing a paper in Pages/Word or browsing the web.

It goes from what seems like pure white to sort of pink-ish in an instant. I do not have Night Shift turned on and I don't use f.lux, I know what those are and I am positive that this is not the issue.

I've had this happen randomly and I also cannot duplicate it, which makes me fear what'll happen if I take it in for service.

I have other issues with the MBP as it is, including a random loud popping sound coming from the aluminum body near the hinge, the trackpad glitching when it's cold, and the B key on my keyboard typing double randomly despite me having cleaned it with compressed air over and over after this started happening.

Still unresolved. I am unable to determine if it is related to the brightness setting or not. Possibly, once the brightness is turned up to a certain point (on the high side) the color/tint shift can occur. What is your brightness at when you see it happen? I have seen this tint shift occur on my iPad, on my wife's Amazon Fire tablet, and on my 2017 MBP. I thought once that it only occurred when plugged in, but I found out it can occur on battery as well...

edgr.sanchez

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2013
Still unresolved. I am unable to determine if it is related to the brightness setting or not. Possibly, once the brightness is turned up to a certain point (on the high side) the color/tint shift can occur. What is your brightness at when you see it happen? I have seen this tint shift occur on my iPad, on my wife's Amazon Fire tablet, and on my 2017 MBP. I thought once that it only occurred when plugged in, but I found out it can occur on battery as well...

I tend to have my brightness set to 90-100% as I am located in a brightly lit office.

The tint shift is very abrupt though, it'll go from white to pink-ish in a split second and slowly normalize itself back to white.

accrama

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2008
I am just starting to have this exact same issue on the same Macbook Pro model.
Especially when working on a white background-dominated app, like MAIL.

Zigman

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2012

You sure that the shift does not exist all the time? As mentioned could it be night shift or the apps you are using shows it more pronounced? Have to tried pulling up an all white and Grey screen to check?

What you describe is an inherent screen issue with a lot of wide gamut lcds. I think is a backlight issue and these screens are notorious for this shift, A LOT of the MacBook Pros have this issue. I went through 2 that we so bad it would alter the color profile on each side of the screen. I have seen Surface Books, their Surface Studios, also dell xps do this as well.

content

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2015
I tend to have my brightness set to 90-100% as I am located in a brightly lit office.

The tint shift is very abrupt though, it'll go from white to pink-ish in a split second and slowly normalize itself back to white.

I still don't know if the brightness turned up causes it, or if it only makes the shift more noticeable. Not sure...???

You sure that the shift does not exist all the time? As mentioned could it be night shift or the apps you are using shows it more pronounced? Have to tried pulling up an all white and Grey screen to check?

What you describe is an inherent screen issue with a lot of wide gamut lcds. I think is a backlight issue and these screens are notorious for this shift, A LOT of the MacBook Pros have this issue. I went through 2 that we so bad it would alter the color profile on each side of the screen. I have seen Surface Books, their Surface Studios, also dell xps do this as well.

The best way I can describe it, is the screen abruptly goes from a bluish tint to a pinkish tint. The actual change in tint is not all that dramatic, but the abruptness of the change is what makes you notice it. The whiter the background, the more noticeable it is.

Zigman

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2012
I still don't know if the brightness turned up causes it, or if it only makes the shift more noticeable. Not sure...???

The best way I can describe it, is the screen abruptly goes from a bluish tint to a pinkish tint. The actual change in tint is not all that dramatic, but the abruptness of the change is what makes you notice it. The whiter the background, the more noticeable it is.

So, it's pretty uniform on a white background, then suddenly the shifts appear?

bocastephen

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2018
So, it's pretty uniform on a white background, then suddenly the shifts appear?

I have the same problem...
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016)
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB

Screen suddenly turns pinkish then settles back to white...very annoying.

Maybe there is another thread for this, but I also have a number of keys with double-input errors, specifically 0, B and X, but others at random, and my keyboard was already replaced once under warranty for a spacebar issue.

I think I over-payed for a lemon, and now the machine is out of warranty.

johnpane

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2007
I too have started to experience this problem in the past week or so. In the most recent occurrence I was not touching the computer or any peripherals...simply reading the screen when the color shift occurred.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016)
Graphics: Radeon Pro 450 2048 MB
Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB

gburlingame

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2018
I am having the same symptom too....screen suddenly turns pinkish then settles back to white...very annoying.

I'm running the latest High Sierra Beta, wondering if there is a bug with that? Build 10.13.5

I'm thinking of bringing it back to the store.

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
Have you tried to disable "Automatically adjust brightness"?
I had some problem with the screen changing the color when adjusting brightness. This is due to "ambient light compensation" which apple tied in with Automatically adjust brightness some time ago.

if this works let me know, if not I would also like to know :)

content

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2015
I had some problem with the screen changing the color when adjusting brightness. This is due to "ambient light compensation" which apple tied in with Automatically adjust brightness some time ago.

I have always left it off. But I'm starting to wonder if it will strangely stop if left ON??? Can someone try this, I won't have access to my MBP for awhile... Just curious if you don't see the shift at all with it ON instead.

gburlingame

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2018

I always have "Automatically adjust brightness" turned OFF. I just double-checked to confirm it did not get turned on somehow.

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have always left it off. But I'm starting to wonder if it will strangely stop if left ON??? Can someone try this, I won't have access to my MBP for awhile... Just curious if you don't see the shift at all with it ON instead.

Taking my Mac to the window to get more sunlight onto the screen held the result that with the same brightness, automatically adjust brightness would change the overall gamma of the screen, as soon as I turned it of the gamma went back to normal (or what I consider to be normal).
I do not have the patience to leave it ON to see if it will stop with time, I do not expect it too. I guess that most people do not notice it or simply doesn't care that much

I always have "Automatically adjust brightness" turned OFF. I just double-checked to confirm it did not get turned on somehow.

Any chance you could take a picture with your phone so we can see what changes it is making?

gburlingame

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2018
Taking my Mac to the window to get more sunlight onto the screen held the result that with the same brightness, automatically adjust brightness would change the overall gamma of the screen, as soon as I turned it of the gamma went back to normal (or what I consider to be normal).
I do not have the patience to leave it ON to see if it will stop with time, I do not expect it too. I guess that most people do not notice it or simply doesn't care that much

Any chance you could take a picture with your phone so we can see what changes it is making?

I'll try and capture this when it happens. It happens very infrequently, and I think it has only ever happened within a few minutes of coming out of sleep mode. (Put laptop to sleep, put in Timbuk2 bag, go to work, take out laptop, open up screen and it comes out of sleep...wait a few minutes and observe unexpected color temperature occurring that settles out within a minute or so.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.