Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deucemimo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2012
I can't seem to complete the jailbreak. I get to the point where is says

Preparing Jailbreak data.....

Then this error message pops up

absinthe.exe has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is
available

Has anyone had this message.....Help?

I've tried to do the jailbreak in safe mode as well has restarted computer and started all over. Been at this for about 2 hours now, I'm at a lost. I'm assuming alot of people trying to jailbreak but I've talked to others who have completed the jailbreak with Absinthe for Windows.

Last edited:

Snowman3459

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yeah mine is stuck at "this may take awhile" and eventually closes because it won't respond. I have no idea what to do.

In a video, some said to extract the absinthe program, click properties, and make the program run as Windows XP and run as administrator. It didn't work for me but might as well try.

WRXface

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2008
i am on the same page Deucemimo, i have been trying all day, mac and pc. i have backed up and restored many times. im just going to wait for redsn0w to come out, i gave up:(

Snowman3459

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I don't get it. For some it works like a charm, within 5 minutes. And for the other half we can't even get past the program. This is major bull**** and I love how no one is commenting on it. No solutions, no nothing.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
i had this error but i think it was because i was downloading from a mirror.

make sure you are using the download link on the greenpois0n website...worked first time for me using that.

Snowman3459

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010

Pez555 said:
i had this error but i think it was because i was downloading from a mirror.

make sure you are using the download link on the greenpois0n website...worked first time for me using that.

Yeah that's not the case either. I've downloaded 3 different ones. Same file, same size. Still doesn't work.

Deucemimo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2012
I've tried all I can, I think. I need to take a break

Thinking about breaking the phone and taking it in for another one. Probably worth the $50

newmacgirl006

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2012
I am 99% sure I have your solution

Deucemimo and others,

I'm a lurker...joined just to share this. I was having the EXACT same issue but I finally got it to work and here's what I did.

Go to your Libraries and Then to Downloads

Find the absinthe file and right click

Click "Properties"

Then Click UNBLOCK

Hit Apply

You'll notice that now the icon in the window changes to the Absinthe icon. Did this and it worked perfectly. Please let me know how this fares for you all....Good luck....hope this was the true solution.

Deucemimo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2012
Deucemimo and others,

I'm a lurker...joined just to share this. I was having the EXACT same issue but I finally got it to work and here's what I did.

Click "Properties"

Then Click UNBLOCK

Hit Apply

You'll notice that now the icon in the window changes to the Absinthe icon. Did this and it worked perfectly. Please let me know how this fares for you all....Good luck....hope this was the true solution.

Thank you it worked.

Besides doing what you stated, I extracted the file too. I haven't extracted the file in the past.............FINALLY.......DONE......Thanks again

WRXface

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2008
J9EuN.jpg
where? i dont have it

xtemujin

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2010
Singapore
Yes, it is the zip file.

Absinthe-win-0.2.zip -> Right click -> Properties -> General Tab -> Unblock

I've tried on three computers, XP and win7 but still getting the Absinthe stopped working.

germanguy

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2008
Deucemimo and others,

Click "Properties"

Then Click UNBLOCK

Hit Apply

How long did the process take for you?

WRXface

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2008
nope nothing happned, i unblocked the .zip, unzipped it, and it crashes

the icon never changed, it stayed the same

germanguy

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2008
10 seconds

As stated earlier I had to extract the file too. Unblock and extract were the only things I did different and then was able to complete JB

Ok. Good to know it only takes seconds. Still stuck. Tried Win XP and Win 7. No go. Bummer. Will call it a night and try again tomorrow.

Snowman3459

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
omg the icon changing part was just what happens when you unzip, that was a waste

When you click properties go to Compatibility and click Windows XP and check Run as Administrator. No guarantee that will work though, it didn't for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.