Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BilalSaab

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2012
Do the following

SLIGHT confusion with the Jailbreaking guide. Here's what I did to get it to work:

1. Hook up to iTunes and create a backup BEFORE you start any Jailbreaking. (either iCloud or save to your computer) IF YOU HAVE PHOTOS/VIDEOS in your camera roll, go to your iPhone in your My Computer menu and CUT-AND-PASTE THEM ALL TO YOUR PC IN A SAFE SPOT. OTHERWISE, THEY ARE GOING BYE BYE. Music should be saved via iCloud/iTunes Purchase History and/or in your iTunes Media Library on your PC anyway, so no worries there. Same with apps - they are saved in iCloud/iTunes purchase history. You just want to make sure your personal photos and videos are backed up manually.

(I suggest backing up your personal videos/photos first and then deleting them off your iPhone to save time when you do the iTunes Backup.)

2. Once done, go to your iPhone/iPad and then navigate to: Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings.
3. Let your phone completely erase to scratch. Once done it'll take you back to "IPHONE" - CONFIGURATION home screen.
4. Now, slide the configuration bar and re-set up your iPhone like you did when you first bought it. However, when you get to the Restore menu, select to RESTORE FROM BACKUP.
5. It'll tell you to hook up to iTunes or iCloud. Do it and restore your phone.
6. Your phone will now be restored, however, it'll be missing music and photos and videos. Don't synch them back to your phone yet. Wait till after you Jailbreak to save a lot of time.
7. JAILBREAK TIME! Close iTunes if it'sstill open and then run Absinthe.
8. For me, it took about 2 minutes to get the Absinthe Icon App on my 4S. Once it's there, click it and let it install Cydia.
9. After your device reboots, you should only see the CYDIA App. If that happened, CONGRATS - YOU'RE JAILBROKEN.
10. I suggest doing a manual device reboot at this point. Disconnect the cable from your PC first.
11. TADA - all done. Now hook back up to iTunes to re-synch all your Music and stuff back onto your phone, if you want to.
12. That's it. Click on CYDIA and start opening up your phone to the REAL WORLD OUTSIDE APPLE'S CLUTCHES!

----------

SLIGHT confusion with the Jailbreaking guide. Here's what I did to get it to work:

1. Hook up to iTunes and create a backup BEFORE you start any Jailbreaking. (either iCloud or save to your computer) IF YOU HAVE PHOTOS/VIDEOS in your camera roll, go to your iPhone in your My Computer menu and CUT-AND-PASTE THEM ALL TO YOUR PC IN A SAFE SPOT. OTHERWISE, THEY ARE GOING BYE BYE. Music should be saved via iCloud/iTunes Purchase History and/or in your iTunes Media Library on your PC anyway, so no worries there. Same with apps - they are saved in iCloud/iTunes purchase history. You just want to make sure your personal photos and videos are backed up manually.

(I suggest backing up your personal videos/photos first and then deleting them off your iPhone to save time when you do the iTunes Backup.)

2. Once done, go to your iPhone/iPad and then navigate to: Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings.
3. Let your phone completely erase to scratch. Once done it'll take you back to "IPHONE" - CONFIGURATION home screen.
4. Now, slide the configuration bar and re-set up your iPhone like you did when you first bought it. However, when you get to the Restore menu, select to RESTORE FROM BACKUP.
6. Your phone will now be restored, however, it'll be missing music and photos and videos. Don't synch them back to your phone yet. Wait till after you Jailbreak to save a lot of time.
8. For me, it took about 2 minutes to get the Absinthe Icon App on my 4S. Once it's there, click it and let it install Cydia.
9. After your device reboots, you should only see the CYDIA App. If that happened, CONGRATS - YOU'RE JAILBROKEN.
10. I suggest doing a manual device reboot at this point. Disconnect the cable from your PC first.
11. TADA - all done. Now hook back up to iTunes to re-synch all your Music and stuff back onto your phone, if you want to.
12. That's it. Click on CYDIA and start opening up your phone to the REAL WORLD OUTSIDE APPLE'S CLUTCHES!

RickBross

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2012
Think about it people...

MAKE SURE YOU UNZIP THE FOLDER "DATA" TOO

Dont just click the .exe cause all that does is run it in Temp and doesnt have access to the still compressed "Data" folder.

This is better then Unblocking it.

While unblocking pseudo-uncompresses it, it still doesnt have access to the "Data" file.

So dont rush, drag both onto your desktop, then try it. And remember, RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley

This.
I was stuck, with the phone doing nothing, after tapping the Absinthe icon on the home screen. I retried the jailbreak process several times, as I didn't want to go the restore route, but eventually I had to restore, and it worked(rebooted) first time, when I tapped the icon.
Just waiting for my apps, songs and photos to re-sync, then I'll be set!:)

germanguy

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2008
Another day, another try. Any new suggestions to make this work? Absinthe program still keeps closing down on PC before finishing jailbreak. Tried on Win7, WinXp, tried unblocking, running as admin - nothing has worked.

dgstan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Another day, another try. Any new suggestions to make this work? Absinthe program still keeps closing down on PC before finishing jailbreak. Tried on Win7, WinXp, tried unblocking, running as admin - nothing has worked.
Make sure you turn off your Anti-Virus programs. I was having problems yesterday and I turned off my MSE and it worked. Not 100% sure that was the problem, but it worked.

germanguy

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2008
Make sure you turn off your Anti-Virus programs. I was having problems yesterday and I turned off my MSE and it worked. Not 100% sure that was the problem, but it worked.

Yes, I had already tried that and that did not make a difference either unfortunately.

WRXface

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2008
why am i the only one having problems? i restored it from new!

EDIT: ok so i decided to jailbreak without restoring and i finally got through. i can just sync up my photos, contacts via iCloud and my apps through iTunes and now i have everything back.

EDIT2: not all of my pictures were back up, so i said forget it i wanted my pictures back. i restored it back, knowing full well ill lose my jailbreak. well, my phone was back to normal before i erased it and voila, i still had my cydia working perfectly fine 100%

Last edited:

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
Make sure you unzip the folder "data" too

Not sure if this restated again in thsi thread, but this is the answer. I moved to a different computer, was about to try a third, a Mac, and read the quote post below and it is working on the second computer. But, the other problem I had was solved by this post: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1312451/ to erase all data. I have some time lapses and 2k photos, etc. and even after an hour it wouldn't move forward.

Also, going back to the first computer (with the Data Folder in place...duh!!) and trying to do my wife's, it is working with out restore to factory (she didn't have much on hers).

So, both iP4s are now JBed!!! Yeah!!

Dont just click the .exe cause all that does is run it in Temp and doesnt have access to the still compressed "Data" folder.

While unblocking pseudo-uncompresses it, it still doesnt have access to the "Data" file.

So dont rush, drag both onto your desktop, then try it. And remember, RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.

ipado

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2012
Extract both files

Thank you, thank you. I tried unblocking, running in XP mode, run as administrator but kept getting the Absinthe stopped working message and then it would shut down. Then after reading this post I unzipped the file to the desktop and reran it (I had only dragged out the absinthe.exe file before). Ran it again unblocked as administrator and jailbreak was done in less than 5 minutes. I didn't have to erase contents or back up camera roll!

iduzzz

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2012
Absinthe for Windows error

I have figure out like this:

Just extract the file from your download folder to desktop ( remember all files that you downloaded from greenposi0n.com ) and when you open absinthe right click and run as administrator and thats all.
This worked for me perfect, hope this will help you

dimitris97

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2012

Guys I had the same problem and i fixed it.. I erased all my settings and data from my iPod touch 3g and I redone the jailbreak. It worked.. Here it's a guide to help you with the process..:apple: ;)

SirAguilera

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
Deucemimo and others,

I'm a lurker...joined just to share this. I was having the EXACT same issue but I finally got it to work and here's what I did.

Go to your Libraries and Then to Downloads

Find the absinthe file and right click

Click "Properties"

Then Click UNBLOCK

Hit Apply

You'll notice that now the icon in the window changes to the Absinthe icon. Did this and it worked perfectly. Please let me know how this fares for you all....Good luck....hope this was the true solution.

Thank you, it worked for me

sammyinz

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2012
hi i was having the same problem with you and was reading the whole reply until i figured it out..

for me it seems running as administrator solves the problem however i also unblocked the rar file even after i extracted it(dunno if the last one actually solves it)

Dkorda

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
My friends AT&T 4S took 5 mins and JB on first try.

My Verizon on the other hand took 10 tries. Kept timing out, so here's what I did.

1. Complete backup to iTunes.
2. Erased phone (under settings)
3. Activated phone (just like when it was out of the box new)
4. Jailbreak
5. Restored through iTunes backup

Her AT&T 4S was pretty empty, my Verizon 4S has 20GB on apps, photos, etc on it... Not sure if that matters.

Good luck fellas!

sean1234

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2012
FIXED: Absinthe for Windows error

OK so I was about to throw my Iphone4 across the room. I had been getting the Absinthe has stopped working error. I tried about 6 times and it did it every time. I'm pretty sure this will work with ipads also so give it a shot if your having this problem. I finally fixed it. This is how.

Restore your Iphone/Ipad using itunes. Once it restores and it boots back up Itunes will ask you if you want to set it up as a new iphone/ipad or restore using your settings. Do not select any of them just minimize itunes and open the absinthe program.

Run the Absinthe program and follow the instructions. It should work fairly quickly. Once it finishes return to iTunes and select the option to set it up using your saved settings/info

Then everything should be working fine

wildonrio

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2008
I've been jailbreaking since 2007, ever since then iPhone OS 1.0.0 on the original iPhone. I am very savvy when it comes to this scene. I've done all the jailbreaks. I've had every iPhone model each year, successfully jailbreaking without issue each time.

I hope you will all trust me when I say that this is the worst jailbreak ever released. I have never seen so many problems. I've tried everything: unblocking the file, running as administrator, dragging to desktop, running in XP compatibility, different computers, disabling antivirus, etc etc etc. No matter what I do, the program crashes. Even "fixing" the jailbreak, which I interpret as putting the phone back to how it was before, still leaves my iTunes Match broken and my music unplayable, makes my phone frequently restart randomly, and all of my contacts AND pictures/videos were deleted. And I'm not even jailbroken! It's like even attempting this gave me all the drawbacks of jailbreaking (read: instability) and none of the benefits (no cydia).

I can't believe they released it in this state. Do some more testing next time before releasing, guys! We appreciate your hard work, but you gotta come up with something better than this before releasing.

Last edited:

Jackdrits

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2012
Hey guys, i faced the same error and i maybe found out what was making Absinthe crash! At lest to me..

Firstly, i did not reset or restore my iPhone to jailbreak..
I had all my stuff and applications installed on version 5.0.1 with jailbreak..
BUT, i did an iTunes Backup before updating to 5.1.1 and jailbreak again.

I downloaded Absinthe from the official http://www.greenpois0n.com/ website.
I am logged as Administrator on Windows 7 Sp1.
I extracted the files to my desktop.
I didnt need to unlock anything.
I didnt need the file to "run as administrator".

All i did was a double click on absinthe.exe after the extraction.

Ok, now for the facts:

Before beginning the jailbreak process, make sure you have at least free 20gb in your C:\ drive, because Absinthe uses some huge amount of disk space during the jailbreak process!!!!

After freeing up some disk space I managed to successfully jailbreak my iPhone 4s!

I hope it helps you guys.

Cheers.

Last edited:

nxl786

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2012
fixed it

Okay so i tried everything on this forum and yes nothing works to fix this error. finally here is what worked for me , i deleted all apps that were not dowloaded through the app store, (anything you have downloaded through the app store you don't have to get rid off) also deleted previous cydia installous etc. ran it again and worked like a charm. took about 10 minutes .

Miosio

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2012
I signed up just to thank you guys for the help.
I kept getting the same error and I tried everything,
I extracted instead of dragged
Ran as admin
unblock ect,
but i had to erase my iphone to jailbreak it and then did the previous steps to get it to work.
Thank you for all the help

<3 Mio

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.