Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danielowenuk

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
Jailbroke my ipad2 3G 32GB and my iphone 4s.

Had a white icon on ipad once, resprung and it fixed it.

All good so far :)

Jasmynp

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
East Coast, USA
I didn't like it.

I completed the jailbreak on my iphone 4s and ipad 2 3G. After I had done it the novelty wore off quickly. I had issues and found that some of the tweaks I had been pining for weren't as life changing as I thought they'd be. After a few days I'm back to stock. I guess JB-ing just isn't for me.

andrewndy

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2011
For those having trouble with running Absinthe or it times out, "Not responding";

Back up via iTunes
erase all settings and content via "Settings" in your iOS device
Setup device as new
Run Absinthe as Admin
restore from most recent backup via iTunes.

Did this and mine worked, thank you!

GaresTaylan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2009
I completed the jailbreak on my iphone 4s and ipad 2 3G. After I had done it the novelty wore off quickly. I had issues and found that some of the tweaks I had been pining for weren't as life changing as I thought they'd be. After a few days I'm back to stock. I guess JB-ing just isn't for me.

You're doing it wrong.

JrFreak

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2009
Did my ipad 2 16gb on Windows 7... worked perfectly. No errors, no white icons...

iSIILENT

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2008
i have a small glitch/freeze when i slide to spotlight, i used to be on 4.3.3 on my ipad now on 5.0.1.... the ipad 2 freeze for like 8 seconds then starts working... is this normal or a problem with 5.0.1 and spotlight

TitanJeff

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2004
Loading Absinthe for Dummies ;)

Here's the only way I was able to get it to work for me. I had issues with installation freezing up. This simple step-by-step is for the "technically-challenged" in which I place myself.

I'm OS 10.6.8 running the latest version of iTunes.

1. Make a backup of your iPad 2's content. I use iCloud. To do this, plug your iPad 2 into iTunes. Once you see your iPad 2's name show up under "devices" on the left column where your library rest, control-clicking your iPad 2's name will pop up a window allowing you to make the backup. You can also backup to your computer if you wish. The setting for where you want to backup is under the "Backup" heading on the summary page window you see when selecting your iPad 2 in iTunes (with the image of the iPad 2, your name, etc. at the top).

2. Once the backup is completed, you need to restore to factory defaults. This is a bit spooky as I wanted to be able to see my backup on iCloud first which is impossible to do (as far as I know) so I also did a backup to my hard drive. The iPad 2 restore button is on your summary page under the "version" setting. Once it finishes the restore, you will see a window on iTunes asking if you want to set up as a new iPad or restore from your previous iPad. Do nothing at this point.

3. Now run Absinthe. It took maybe a minute to run through the entire loading process. The window for the Absinthe app is very clear as to what you need to do as it loads. It will tell you to turn off your passcode, etc.

4. Once Absinthe reboots your iPad 2, you will have to fill out some of the default iPad 2 stuff as if it is brand new. I skipped what it would allow but had to enter my wifi info to get beyond that screen. Finally, you are at the main window where your icons are and it should look like the first time you booted it up after buying it (default). You will find the Absinthe app icon on page two. Open it and you should see "Absinthe is setting this up…" text with the skull under it. This took maybe 30 seconds. Then my iPad 2 rebooted.

5. After reboot, you should see your Absinthe icon replaced with a Cydia icon on page two.

6. Now, re-open iTunes (which shut down automatically for me when running the Absinthe app). The window should show up asking whether you want to start new or use the backup. I selected to restore my backup.

7. At this point, iTunes will begin restoring and syncing up. For me, this took quite a while. I just have the 16 GB but it still took 15 minutes or so. I touched nothing on the iPad during this process.

8. After the sync, unlock your iPad 2. I was asked to verify my iCloud/Apple ID password which I did.

9. The Cydia icon was still on page 2. Attempts to open it did nothing. It acted as if it was trying to open but would immediately close. Just as I thought it didn't work, I turned off my iPad 2 and turned it back on. When I did, opening Cydia worked perfectly.

No issues so far. I hope this helps others who might be struggling to get this working.

kiddk1

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2009
For those having trouble with running Absinthe or it times out, "Not responding";

Back up via iTunes
Setup device as new
Run Absinthe as Admin

----------

Back up via iTunes
Setup device as new
Run Absinthe as Admin

thanks worked flawlessly after this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.