Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackiez

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
model: macbook air 13 2020 i5

i tripped over the cord and accidentally dropped (fk me, bring back magsafe pls apple) my macbook on the round from about 4 feet high and the lid right corner was bent, fortunately everything is still functioning like normal even the screen but it had caused a faint yellowish glow effect at the affected corner area, when i bend a bit it does restore to normal, my guess it is because of the deformed area of aluminium case is pressing the lcd panel?

anyway i am just going to leave it as it is, but at the same time am worried that if the damage will spread to all over the screen over time, leading to dead pixels or just screen dead eventually? not sure how the screen thing works, can anyone kindly advice

or should i at least send to third party and ask to bend it back? warranty just expired months ago and even if warranty still valid i don't think it covers user's fault like this.

IMG_4272.JPG

tempImageuqAmww.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: obargy

Spacegray

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2016
Without Apple Care+, it will probably be quite an expensive repair (replacement of the display module).
In the worst case, the main device might also have been damaged by the strong impact.

jackiez

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
Without Apple Care+, it will probably be quite an expensive repair (replacement of the display module).
In the worst case, the main device might also have been damaged by the strong impact.

everything is working fine as for now, havent encounter any issues so far.

You are too dramatic. Nothing is going to happen, use common sense.

can you share your common sense then

You have two options.

1) Leave it alone unless the rest of the screen becomes affected over time. If that happens, refer to option 2.
2) Sell as it and buy another Mac.

Given the pice of that model MBA, I would not pay a third party for repair. It would be too expensive.

1) this is my main concern, if it does affect the whole screen over time, i will just sell it but if it doesnt, i would just live with it.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I would keep an eye on that corner for a few weeks. The discoloration is indeed likely from the pressure of the bent housing on the thin LCD panel. If it doesn’t get notably worse in the next week or two, you’re probably good. If it looks as though it is spreading, you may want to consider either bending it back yourself or taking it to an independent repair shop.

Reactions: jackiez

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
Just leave it. I can't see it induces any tension on the screen. My 11" 2014 MBA also hit its corner on a tile floor years ago. It bended the other way, but it has never caused any further damage and is still working.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
Ouch..I feel your pain. Its happened twice to my MBP but I was fortunate my Maccentric repair centre could "panel beat" it straight again.

DCmbp

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2022
Dude.. Is it okay now!?? Did the screen get damaged further? The exact same thing happened to my new m1 mbp 😭😭

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2016
model: macbook air 13 2020 i5

i tripped over the cord and accidentally dropped (fk me, bring back magsafe pls apple) my macbook on the round from about 4 feet high and the lid right corner was bent, fortunately everything is still functioning like normal even the screen but it had caused a faint yellowish glow effect at the affected corner area, when i bend a bit it does restore to normal, my guess it is because of the deformed area of aluminium case is pressing the lcd panel?

anyway i am just going to leave it as it is, but at the same time am worried that if the damage will spread to all over the screen over time, leading to dead pixels or just screen dead eventually? not sure how the screen thing works, can anyone kindly advice

or should i at least send to third party and ask to bend it back? warranty just expired months ago and even if warranty still valid i don't think it covers user's fault like this.

View attachment 1799786
View attachment 1799788
Drop it on the other 3 sides then they’ll all match!

denisej

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2014
Illinois
Oh boy...bummer!!!... I would make an appointment and take it in to the closest Apple Store and see what they say. I've had them do repairs out of warranty for me for free more than once...hope whatever you choose to do about it works out!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Velin

Aradhana

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2022
hey i have the same problem, i dropped my macbook air. and i have the exact same dent and yellow light on that edge. how did you deal with it? i need some advice, and solution.

DCmbp

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2022
If u notice it spreading to other parts of the screen, I'd suggest flipping it for a reduced price and picking up the newer MBA

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
Same thing happened to my steps son m1 air. We got apple care + though. $99 to replace entire top LID. He was with it damaged for months.

Arvind suthar

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2024
The same thing happened to my MacBook Air M1 2020. It fell from my bed while I was working, and everything seems to be functioning normally. However, I'm concerned about whether the damage will spread across the entire screen over time. Is there a way to fix it?

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Not sure what would be safe to try without risking breaking the glass really, I doubt anything but trying to bend back into position could help practically, but this would involve having to bend past straight the other way and I could see that being very risky.

Reactions: Arvind suthar
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.