Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shikinamiiii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2016
Hello! I'm a huge idiot and a newbie to Mac products (A longtime user of Windows here) but I need help since I accidentally shut down my MacBook Pro while it was updating to MacOS Sierra!! HUHUHU

After shutting it down, I noticed everything was normal until I logged in and booted up normally but it was cut short by tiny white text with a black background on the top left and a Kernel Panic started to appear. I tried doing it several times to see what's wrong until I got the Prohibitory Sign and I shut it down. I tried PRAM and NVRAM and booting my computer to the OSX Utilities and I also tried Repair and Restore the Disk Image in the Disk Utility to see if it could work but I realized I replaced my whole Mac HD with the OSX Base System when I restore it and I was screwed. At first, when I tried to install the OS, I have both the Recovery HD and the Base System. What's worse is that I deleted that same file I restored using the Base System with Terminal commands and it gave me a disk called Untitled. I resetted my computer again as instructed according to this https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4225754?tstart=0 and led me to the internet recovery menu. So now, when I checked to see if that worked, it gave me the blinking folder thing. And also, the Recovery HD is gone too. I'm not sure what to do since I have staying all night to find good solutions that could solve this problem without using backups from Time Machine (I just found out they actually exist when I first saw the OSX Utilities).

Although I'm not concerned about the applications and everything but the potential of getting my unbackup files is slim...

Should I try partitioning my internal hard drive and hard resetting then I do my best to recover the lost files? Btw I don't have an external HDD right now so I'm screwed.

MacBook Pro Info: Early 2015 13-inch MacBook Pro Retina with 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7 and 500 GB. When I got it, it's OSX was El Capitan (I just got it around last month)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.