Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CaraJoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2024
My company's outside IT people accidentally wiped my personal phone (which had my work email on it) and then also, while I was guessing my Apple password (what I thought it was was wrong), sent it to Account Recovery. I got an email saying: "You will receive a text or a phone call at this number when your account is ready to recover on January 6, 2024 at 4:12:34 AM EST." That never came. Spent all day at the Apple store, no luck.

IDEAS?!?!

I can continue to guess my password, it must be a variation on what I've been trying, but the issue is, once it is in recovery it isn't unlocking to let me guess. Apple said I basically just had to wait. Continue to wait. They couldn't explain why I didn't get my recovery link.

I welcome other suggestions. Thanks!

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
My company's outside IT people accidentally wiped my personal phone (which had my work email on it) and then also, while I was guessing my Apple password (what I thought it was was wrong), sent it to Account Recovery. I got an email saying: "You will receive a text or a phone call at this number when your account is ready to recover on January 6, 2024 at 4:12:34 AM EST." That never came. Spent all day at the Apple store, no luck.

IDEAS?!?!

I can continue to guess my password, it must be a variation on what I've been trying, but the issue is, once it is in recovery it isn't unlocking to let me guess. Apple said I basically just had to wait. Continue to wait. They couldn't explain why I didn't get my recovery link.

I welcome other suggestions. Thanks!
I think all you can do is wait, and check mail filters.

For others, the lesson here is to never let anyone else use or handle your device. Never co-mingle work email access on your personal device, ever.

Doing so gives them the ability to do things like wipe your device where you would otherwise have some liability on them for deleting/reading/archiving your personal data along with theirs.

Another piece of advice, if you dont know your own passwords, fix that situatuon immediately. A
means for managing and securely storing passwords is invaluable. Apple is going to have a hard time determining if its actually you who doesn't remember the passwords, and me, who never did.

Sorry this happened to you.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
I think all you can do is wait, and check mail filters.

For others, the lesson here is to never let anyone else use or handle your device. Never co-mingle work email access on your personal device, ever.

For some people that’s not an option. For example my company’s VPN requires an MDM profile which installs a token generation app that gets set from their servers. Without that I can’t work remotely.

Most companies use MDM profiles so they don’t have to remote wipe a device. They can remove only the work related data.

As for account recovery, it’s too late now, but don’t use the default Apple recovery as that requires Apple to manually verify you are who you say you are which takes time and there’s always the possibility they deny your request. I’m guessing with the holidays it’s taking longer.

Using a recovery key and/or contact is a better solution. The former lets you recover your account immediately, though if you lose the key and need to recover your account you can’t. Pairing the key and contact solutions gives you multiple recovery options. Having another Apple trusted device (Mac, iPad) gives you a third recovery option.

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
For some people that’s not an option. For example my company’s VPN requires an MDM profile which installs a token generation app that gets set from their servers. Without that I can’t work remotely.

Most companies use MDM profiles so they don’t have to remote wipe a device. They can remove only the work related data.

As for account recovery, it’s too late now, but don’t use the default Apple recovery as that requires Apple to manually verify you are who you say you are which takes time and there’s always the possibility they deny your request. I’m guessing with the holidays it’s taking longer.

Using a recovery key and/or contact is a better solution. The former lets you recover your account immediately, though if you lose the key and need to recover your account you can’t. Pairing the key and contact solutions gives you multiple recovery options. Having another Apple trusted device (Mac, iPad) gives you a third recovery option.

If you work requires you to use your own personal device to work remotely (what the f?) then I would still suggest to have a completely separate device with none of you own personal information or accounts.

If their MDM has privileges to install, modify, or remove -any- data, trust me, it can get at yours as well.

Frankly, they should be providing you the hardware required for this, just like their corporate laptop/workstation. Not worth the overlap into your personal world.

Agree on recovery advice, i would say that is the next step after getting your accounts and passwords documented.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Always have separate devices for work and personal. Never ever mix the two. You should always have a password manager to store your important passwords and logins. Never rely on memory alone.

I would not keep trying to guess your password lest you make things worse. You need to wait.

joeblack007

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2023
Here’s what to do: start your account recovery..wait a full 24hrs and then go back to iforgot.apple.com and enter your information (apple id & trusted number) again. The site should give you (an update) the date of your recovery (such as: in 3 days you can reset your password for your apple id account). Mark that date on the calendar. DO NOT wait for a text or email on the day, just go directly back to iforgot.apple.com and enter your Apple ID (it will now allow you to reset your password). Takeaway: you don’t need to wait for the text or email to complete an account recovery. Just complete the recovery at the website on the day and you should be good.

Last edited:
Reactions: dohspc and shaun.au
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.