Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Looks like a request to me.
But I wasn’t attacking you personally (although I admit my unfortunate use of the word “brag” was harsh - my apologies), I was pointing out a common behavior on these forums that causes great frustration for readers.
The question was asked after my initial post. If I had seen it sooner and subsequently had time to reply, I would have. I post when I can.

Reactions: antiprotest

adamlbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
South Yorkshire, UK
IMG_0246.jpeg

Here's mine - made using the same method as outlined earlier in the thread.

View Bank Balance just opens my mobile banking app, and Next Train Home opens a 3rd party trains times app. The others are all basic actions within the OS.

EDIT: In case anyone is curious, iOS 17.1 allows you to set 8 shortcuts rather than 7 as in earlier versions of iOS 17 (previously the eighth slot was reserved for opening the Shortcuts app).

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Looks like a request to me.
But I wasn’t attacking you personally (although I admit my unfortunate use of the word “brag” was harsh - my apologies), I was pointing out a common behavior on these forums that causes great frustration for readers.
The worst one is someone asks something, and then respond Figured it out - delete. NO Don't Delete! Put the answer so if someone searches the same question, they will actually find a result with the answer instead of 50 with just the question but no answers or people saying I don't know or I have the same issue but no answer

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
View attachment 2304328

Here's mine - made using the same method as outlined earlier in the thread.

View Bank Balance just opens my mobile banking app, and Next Train Home opens a 3rd party trains times app. The others are all basic actions within the OS.

EDIT: In case anyone is curious, iOS 17.1 allows you to set 8 shortcuts rather than 7 as in earlier versions of iOS 17 (previously the eighth slot was reserved for opening the Shortcuts app).
Pretty cool!

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
The worst one is someone asks something, and then respond Figured it out - delete. NO Don't Delete! Put the answer so if someone searches the same question, they will actually find a result with the answer instead of 50 with just the question but no answers or people saying I don't know or I have the same issue but no answer
I assume these folks are unaware or forget (or in worse cases - just don’t care) that there are other people reading the forum who likely have the very same question!

Curiousurick

Contributor
Oct 4, 2017
At work, I switch my AirPods between my phone for podcasts and laptop for meetings. So my action button quickly reconnects my AirPods after meetings. Then I made a hotkey to connect it to my Mac. At home, it turns on my Apple TV and opens the remote app.

Johnny London

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
ChatGPT! The limitation is that it doesn’t interact with your phone. But for every question there is a very reasonable answer and the complexity of follow-up questions you can make in these conversations are exceptional.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Likewise here. Haven’t really felt a need to customize the button and I using ring/silent mode several times during the day, so that works best for me.

I started with the camera but quickly realized the button on the Home Screen is just as fast. And going to control center to toggle silent is annoying.

The real bummer is I wouldn’t mind silent being activated all the time but there are always cases that I’m finding where I need to turn it off to get sound to play.

Bobajobbob

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2005
IMG_2440.jpeg

I’m using shortcuts to bring up a menu of most common actions when held vertically.

I don’t really like the aesthetics of the menu so that’s something I’ll look to improve on but in terms of quick shortcuts I like it. I’m also still tweaking the list and quite like the idea above for ‘next train home’.

When the phone is horizontal it just opens the camera.

Bobajobbob

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2005
What I would really like Apple to add is the ability to quick press and long press. Quick press I'd set to mute toggle and long press to open the menu above.

Reactions: GuruZac

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
I have mine set to the mute switch. I've played with it for the first week after the release, and then never really played with it since.

CopyChief

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2007
I have mine set to selfie camera. My wife and I take a daily hike when we can and have started documenting each walk. For normal photos I still use the homescreen icon. I'm not 100% sold that it's my permanent solution, but it's become almost a reflex so far.

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
I appreciate the action button and use it to toggle a Focus mode. I also frequently press the button incorrectly while attempting to take a screen shot.

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
I execute a Shortcut based on how I hold the iPhone. With the screen pointing down it goes into ‘do not disturb’, on it’s side it opens the camera app, and when I hold it normally it toggles screen lock. Works wonders for how I use it😊

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I notice no one said Siri 😂

But when I get mine, I plan to set Google Assistant to it. Has anyone done that & can explain how well/bad it works?

missingar

Suspended
Jun 22, 2023
I haven’t found a use for it. I have huge hands and still find it wildly impractical to reach up there to press it when most things you can do with it are accessible by putting an app on your home screen or by pulling down the control center.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.