Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

feinberj

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2008
Montclair, NJ
Thank you so much for posting this description of updating the disk label as it's shown in the OC boot picker! It was very confusing to see the same name showing up two or three times. One thing I noticed on my system was that updating .disk_label.contentDetails was not enough. I had to update .disk_label.contentDetails AND .contentDetails for the updated name to show up in the OC boot picker.

Reactions: h9826790

kkinto

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2011
There are few ways to change the disk label in boot picker. What I found the most reliable way is as follow (it's a bit complicated, but works well for me).

I was trying to follow this tutorial but after getting the terminal message "Volume Preboot on disk4s3 mounted" nothing happens in the Finder (nothing visible anyway) and the resulting GO menu: /Volumes/preboot/ just results in an error beep. Even changing the p to P doesn't help. Removing the preboot/ shows a list of my HD volumes, but nothing called preboot.

The volume in question is located on an SSD - could this be the problem?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Thank you so much for posting this description of updating the disk label as it's shown in the OC boot picker! It was very confusing to see the same name showing up two or three times. One thing I noticed on my system was that updating .disk_label.contentDetails was not enough. I had to update .disk_label.contentDetails AND .contentDetails for the updated name to show up in the OC boot picker.
Yeah, there are three possible files in that folder which contain the disk label

.disk_label
.contentDetails
.disk_label.contentDetails

If you can seem them all, you better mod all of them.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I was trying to follow this tutorial but after getting the terminal message "Volume Preboot on disk4s3 mounted" nothing happens in the Finder (nothing visible anyway) and the resulting GO menu: /Volumes/preboot/ just results in an error beep. Even changing the p to P doesn't help. Removing the preboot/ shows a list of my HD volumes, but nothing called preboot.

The volume in question is located on an SSD - could this be the problem?
Are you sure the disk number is disk4s3?

They usually end with s2, but not s3.

Reactions: kkinto

LFO8

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2019
I am very thankful to you @h9826790 as you have extended my 2012 Mac Pro for quite some time. Alas it's life is now nearing it's end as I use Logic Pro and am stuck on Monterey on this machine thus, now, meaning no more Logic Pro updates moving forward unless someone figured out how to run Ventura or Sonoma on a cMP or I bite the bullet and get an M1 or M2 machine.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I am very thankful to you @h9826790 as you have extended my 2012 Mac Pro for quite some time. Alas it's life is now nearing it's end as I use Logic Pro and am stuck on Monterey on this machine thus, now, meaning no more Logic Pro updates moving forward unless someone figured out how to run Ventura or Sonoma on a cMP or I bite the bullet and get an M1 or M2 machine.
If you have time, you may find a spare drive to test OCLP Sonoma on your cMP. The stability for professional software is unknown, IMO, you have to test it for at least two weeks in order to know if it's good enough for your workflow.

The system files can be patched to avoid using AVX2. However, Logic Pro itself hasn't patched, which means, whenever it try to call an AVX2 instruction, the computer may crash.

LFO8

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2019
If you have time, you may find a spare drive to test OCLP Sonoma on your cMP. The stability for professional software is unknown, IMO, you have to test it for at least two weeks in order to know if it's good enough for your workflow.

The system files can be patched to avoid using AVX2. However, Logic Pro itself hasn't patched, which means, whenever it try to call an AVX2 instruction, the computer may crash.
hmmm.. I may test it out. To be sure: OCLP will only patch the drive I install it to and leave the rest of my system alone (ROM, motherboard stuff, other drives I run Monterey on etc?)

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
hmmm.. I may test it out. To be sure: OCLP will only patch the drive I install it to and leave the rest of my system alone (ROM, motherboard stuff, other drives I run Monterey on etc?)
It could change nvram variables Living in the firmware chip (rom).

you can backup them with the dumper and flash back in case something unexpected happens.

John Fu

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2018
Taipei, Taiwan
Hell All,

I am new here, in the past 2 days I was try to install my cMP, not only upgrade to 128GB in 1 single CPU, also update my macOS to Monterey, after I finish all of update, of course, I am using OPENCORE without any issue. I did follow the 1 page all step, the last one step, I am really confused, I am more sure what command that I need to add or change the board id in the config file, can anyone give me a help, Thank you!

Sorry about my English.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hell All,

I am new here, in the past 2 days I was try to install my cMP, not only upgrade to 128GB in 1 single CPU, also update my macOS to Monterey, after I finish all of update, of course, I am using OPENCORE without any issue. I did follow the 1 page all step, the last one step, I am really confused, I am more sure what command that I need to add or change the board id in the config file, can anyone give me a help, Thank you!

Sorry about my English.
If your system is working as expected, then you don't need to change the Board ID. That's for those having issue on multiple monitors setup.

Reactions: John Fu

John Fu

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2018
Taipei, Taiwan
If your system is working as expected, then you don't need to change the Board ID. That's for those having issue on multiple monitors setup.
Thanks for the message, Just wonder how I can enable the HW acceleration. I know you did before, could you share it with us? because on page 1, it only shows it works in Mojave.

Thank you
Screen Shot 2023-11-24 at 10.44.34 AM.png

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Thanks for the message, Just wonder how I can enable the HW acceleration. I know you did before, could you share it with us? because on page 1, it only shows it works in Mojave.

Thank you
View attachment 2316189

That's at post #1314.

If you are using my package, that should be enabled by default.

Reactions: TheStork

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Cheers! I indeed have a backup of my ROM.

I mean the nvram values in the _yet_ working situation.

As some, like the ones for Bluetooth, differ between OS' it could happen you boot or install another OS and out of the sudden something previous working fails as the data format in the vars have changed.

Just to name a well known one.

aldek

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2023
Hi. I am trying to upgrade my MacPro 5.1 to BigSur from Mojave, but without success. The USB pendrive Big Sur installation disk (32 GB) created with OpenCore Legacy Patcher is not bootable. The BOOT directory on the EFI partition is simply empty in it, as is the ACPI directory.
So I tried Martin Lo's solution described here. That is, I reset the nvram, deactivated the SIP in recovery mode, copied the files to the mounted EFI partition of the USB drive, ran the bless script, and the system shows the disk selection menu at startup, even boots from the USB, but after showing the Apple logo and about 25% of the progress bar, a black screen appears.
What am I doing wrong?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hi. I am trying to upgrade my MacPro 5.1 to BigSur from Mojave, but without success. The USB pendrive Big Sur installation disk (32 GB) created with OpenCore Legacy Patcher is not bootable. The BOOT directory on the EFI partition is simply empty in it, as is the ACPI directory.
So I tried Martin Lo's solution described here. That is, I reset the nvram, deactivated the SIP in recovery mode, copied the files to the mounted EFI partition of the USB drive, ran the bless script, and the system shows the disk selection menu at startup, even boots from the USB, but after showing the Apple logo and about 25% of the progress bar, a black screen appears.
What am I doing wrong?
Most likely need to do this

Or, if you only has one monitor, you may try another port on the graphic card.

rdewey

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2010
Martin:

I am a huge fan of your package because it is the only way I got my thunderbolt to work (from Titan Ridge card); the OCLP did NOT enable that device. My question is whether your current package is compatible with Sonoma on the cMP (mine is the 4,1 flashed to 5,1).

If so, what is the trick to get the Sonoma installer to load? I tried it and it hung on the Apple logo with no errors.

If the current package is not compatible with Sonoma, are you developing a newer version that will work?

Thanks!

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
My question is whether your current package is compatible with Sonoma on the cMP (mine is the 4,1 flashed to 5,1).
The answer is No.

Running Sonoma on cMP need system files patching at this moment. OCLP is the only way to go.

If the problem is TB card, you may extract the SSDT from my package, insert that into the OCLP EFI folder, and mod the config accordingly.

I believe that's the most practical way to achieve what you want at this moment.

Reactions: bax2023

basslik

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
When I boot up Monterey the boot picker shows the old name of the drive. I changed the name of the driver on my desktop, but does not show that name on the boot up boot picker?

THANK YOU

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

aldek

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2023
Most likely need to do this...
Thank you for your advice, unfortunately, it did not help. What's more, after changing in config.plist file to string Mac-27... my startup menu disappeared at all. Trying to call the bless script on a mounted EFI from this USB drive returns error:
3: Could not set boot device property: 0xe00002bc
Maybe this will be a clue, but on my MacPro 5,1 it also fails to completely deactivate SIP in recovery mode, i.e. there is a message that "disabled" and the crsutil status question still returns that it is enabled.
Short config info: MacPro 5,1 (single processor, Westmere X5670, Nvidia Quadro NVS510 2GB Kepler card) works perfectly under Mojave. Only one old AppleVision 27' with miniDP monitor is currently connected...

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Thank you for your advice, unfortunately, it did not help. What's more, after changing in config.plist file to string Mac-27... my startup menu disappeared at all. Trying to call the bless script on a mounted EFI from this USB drive returns error:
3: Could not set boot device property: 0xe00002bc
Maybe this will be a clue, but on my MacPro 5,1 it also fails to completely deactivate SIP in recovery mode, i.e. there is a message that "disabled" and the crsutil status question still returns that it is enabled.
Short config info: MacPro 5,1 (single processor, Westmere X5670, Nvidia Quadro NVS510 2GB Kepler card) works perfectly under Mojave. Only one old AppleVision 27' with miniDP monitor is currently connected...
Change that Board ID should not disable the boot picker, unless you accidentally made an syntax error. Please double check that.

If the SIP is re-enabled for whatever reason, then the bless tool won't work. If you boot via my OC package, the SIP is controlled by OC, but not recovery partition.

The hardware looks OK to me. Of course, you won't have HWAvccel for Kepler GPU, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.