Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

kkinto

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2011
Thanks! I just did the update. Everything went smoothly as expected šŸ˜
Martin - is there something special one needs to do to install Moneterey on an HD while running Monetery/Opencore. I've tried both internal and external but cannot succeed. Usually attempts end with prohibit sign and support/startup URL or the original startup disk getting chosen. Process has never gotten to the "...remaining" text. Is this possible or am I doing something wrong - config is in the "cpuid...AACA..." state (both strings the same) and smbiosUpdate = false as per regular updates. 12.7.2 updated perfectly but I cannot install Monterey on a new SSD I have.
Thanks

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Martin - is there something special one needs to do to install Moneterey on an HD while running Monetery/Opencore. I've tried both internal and external but cannot succeed. Usually attempts end with prohibit sign and support/startup URL or the original startup disk getting chosen. Process has never gotten to the "...remaining" text. Is this possible or am I doing something wrong - config is in the "cpuid...AACA..." state (both strings the same) and smbiosUpdate = false as per regular updates. 12.7.2 updated perfectly but I cannot install Monterey on a new SSD I have.
Thanks
If you can update to 12.7.2, the same config should allow you to install a new clean Monterey onto another hard drive.

If you tried a few times, still the same issue. Then the biggest suspect would be the NVRAM is partially corrupted.

May be you can try 4x NVRAM reset first, then use Macschrauber's ROM dump tool to inspect the healthiness of the NVRAM. If that looks OK, then try another Monterey installation to see if you can get it done.

Reactions: crjackson2134

kkinto

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2011
If you can update to 12.7.2, the same config should allow you to install a new clean Monterey onto another hard drive.

If you tried a few times, still the same issue. Then the biggest suspect would be the NVRAM is partially corrupted.

May be you can try 4x NVRAM reset first, then use Macschrauber's ROM dump tool to inspect the healthiness of the NVRAM. If that looks OK, then try another Monterey installation to see if you can get it done.
Thanks.

I tried to install again. This time the mac arrived at the very same point (prohibit / support/startup URL) after rebooting first time. I shut it down and booted back into the original Monterey. But now the SSD no longer appears in any diskutil list or disk utility or the Finder. When I run the Monterey installer that drive no longer appears as an option to install onto.

The SSD iss brand new and was formatted blank APFS and no problem until I did this install attempt. That drive is not appearing in OC picker as well as "Install". I am not sure what to do as I have no idea how to inspect NVRAM healthiness.

If I clear NVRAM 4x then its going to clear OC as well right? It does not boot at all when I did that.

Do I have to remove the drive with EFI on it now and try and get Mojave running? Then in Mojave I would have to start over again to make OC EFI? I am scared this has damaged the SSD but I have no way to check, its just "gone"

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Thanks.

I tried to install again. This time the mac arrived at the very same point (prohibit / support/startup URL) after rebooting first time. I shut it down and booted back into the original Monterey. But now the SSD no longer appears in any diskutil list or disk utility or the Finder. When I run the Monterey installer that drive no longer appears as an option to install onto.

The SSD iss brand new and was formatted blank APFS and no problem until I did this install attempt. That drive is not appearing in OC picker as well as "Install". I am not sure what to do as I have no idea how to inspect NVRAM healthiness.

If I clear NVRAM 4x then its going to clear OC as well right? It does not boot at all when I did that.

Do I have to remove the drive with EFI on it now and try and get Mojave running? Then in Mojave I would have to start over again to make OC EFI? I am scared this has damaged the SSD but I have no way to check, its just "gone"
If that's a brand new drive, and disappeared after reboot, then the drive may have compatibility issue on the cMP. Which drive is it?

kkinto

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2011
If that's a brand new drive, and disappeared after reboot, then the drive may have compatibility issue on the cMP. Which drive is it?
Its a Samsung 870 500GB. I pulled it out and plugged into a Macbook Pro and it mounted just fine but no visible files on it. Back in Mac Pro (bay 1) and its invisible again.

I tried to install Monterey from the Macbook which is running OCLP (I have no idea how that works) But it failed as well. After well over an hour "installing" it simply booted back to its own startup drive., although the SSD was visible in the Finder and seemed to have nothing on it, nothing visible anyway - space now 449GB so maybe some invisible files.

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Its a Samsung 870 500GB. I pulled it out and plugged into a Macbook Pro and it mounted just fine but no visible files on it. Back in Mac Pro (bay 1) and its invisible again.

I tried to install Monterey from the Macbook which is running OCLP (I have no idea how that works) But it failed as well. After well over an hour "installing" it simply booted back to its own startup drive., although the SSD was visible in the Finder and seemed to have nothing on it, nothing visible anyway - space now 449GB so maybe some invisible files.
This 870?

Reactions: kkinto

kkinto

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2011
This 870?

Oh no. Yes, that 870! I guess I will try and return it then! I have a 500GB Samsung 840 SSD in my second CD bay (my Mojave backstop drive) and it works just fine last two+ years. Didn't give it a moments thought to check the internet :(

Reactions: avro707

bax2023

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2023
Serbia
Updated to 12.7.2, no prblemo.
Screenshot 2023-12-13 at 14.58.12.png

Hint for those who don't see the updates via Software Update: you have to edit following in the OC config.plis:

<key>Cpuid1Mask</key>
<data>AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==</data>
change data to:
<data>AAAAAAAAAAAAAACAAAAAAA==</data>

And:

<key>UpdateSMBIOS</key>
<true/>
change data to:
<false/>

After this change, reboot and look for the updates again. After successfull update, change config.plis values to previous ones.

Last edited:

macabro-san

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2023
Hi all, thank you so much for all your amazing work. I have successfully installed Catalina, Big Sur and Monterey on different occasions on my MP5,1, but now I am encountering an extremely frustrating issue which I believe is called "Racing Condition" where the SSD drive in which I installed Monterey gets corrupted after a week or so, and system hangs at the boot screen with the bar very slowly reaching halfway then boot-up stops completely. Also it did not enable Wi-Fi even after config.plist edit. I believe this was caused by a mistake I made in the config.plist edit where I failed to disable the SMBIOS update. I've re-installed Mojave and the firmware is now back to 144.0.0.0.0. I was using 0.9.6, fixed the config to prevent SMBIOS update, and changed Cpuid1Mask to <data>AAAAAAAAAAAAAACAAAAAAA==</data>. NVRAM looks healthy according to the Rom Dump utility. Now, when I try to install Big Sur or Monterey, with update enabled now and after running the installer it reaches near the end and says an error occurred. Is there a way to reset the firmware without having to run an OS installer? Any help would be highly appreciated. Many thanks and kind regards

Last edited:

basslik

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008

I understanding going back a couple of years. with your package one is able to boot older OS drives correct.

If so, I currently have OCLP, and want to install Monterey on another NVMe with your package to be able to open Mt. Lion. There's some old plugins i have on there that I like to use in Mt. Lion for mastering.

Thank you for truly painstakingly hard work.

macabro-san

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2023
give it a shot by resetting PRAM at least once, better two or three times in a row
thanks! yes, I've done it like 3-4 times for each installation attempt. Now the installer for Monterey says it will take 4hs 15 min to install and after 40 min it reaches the end then says there was an error in the installation. Do I need to install Catalina before attempting to install Monterey? Does the MP5,1 have to be disconnected from LAN? Thanks again! Cheers!

hrfat

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2013
I felt the need to edit Martin Lo's OC package in cMP 5.1 and created an OC package for myself.

In this package, only the upgraded wifi card (BCM94360CD) has been improved. (AirportBrcmFixup.kext)

Note: For those who use cMP 5.1 only with a wifi card upgrade.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    6.7 MB · Views: 50

bax2023

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2023
Serbia
I felt the need to edit Martin Lo's OC package in cMP 5.1 and created an OC package for myself.

In this package, only the upgraded wifi card (BCM94360CD) has been improved. (AirportBrcmFixup.kext)

Note: For those who use cMP 5.1 only with a wifi card upgrade.
What is fixed in that kext, because I'm using Martin's package with this card and it works fine ?

Last edited:

John Fu

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2018
Taipei, Taiwan
Here is what I did

1. Use OCLP to create a bootable USB, and use it for installation.
2. After successful installation, mount FEI and use Martin Lo OC, do not patch OCLP after installation.

basslik

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
Here is what I did

1. Use OCLP to create a bootable USB, and use it for installation.
2. After successful installation, mount FEI and use Martin Lo OC, do not patch OCLP after installation.
Can you add kext to see the firewire in the network tab ? Monterey does not populate the firewire icon on the network page.
1702957104883.png

KnightlyRod

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2023
Hi. First post on the forum, so please let me know if I make any mistake.

I installed macOS Monterey and Sonoma, both via OCLP. Both are installed on a 2.5'' SSD. I backed up OCLP EFI and replaced it with Martin's package. Sonoma becomes unbootable while Monterey works fine.
So, I would like to ask what is the exact procedure to enable AMD hardware acceleration, so I may try to replicate using OCLP. I have a Radeon RX570 8GB card and Videoproc shows both codecs supported when using Martin's package.

Or if there is any other methos, such as the hex editor on the AppleGVA file, please let me know. Thanks to all your hard work on this amazing community.

P.D. Sonoma Radeon driver is unsupported AFAIK due to missing AVX2 instruction on the CPU, so I installed the root patches included in OCLP.

Edit: Managed to get AMD hardware acceleration and DRM working with OCLP 1.3.0 on my 5.1 Mac Pro on Sonoma by adding the radgva=1 parameter on the device properties for the GPU, minimal SMBIOS spoofing to Mac Pro 7.1 (board ID) and setting Feature Unlock level to Full on the OCLP GUI app. I suppose only SMBIOS and radgva=1 are needed. Shiki setting is set to 128 (OCLP default), agdpmod=pikera. Haven't tried altering the settings.

Last edited:

bax2023

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2023
Serbia
Hi. First post on the forum, so please let me know if I make any mistake.

I installed macOS Monterey and Sonoma, both via OCLP. Both are installed on a 2.5'' SSD. I backed up OCLP EFI and replaced it with Martin's package. Sonoma becomes unbootable while Monterey works fine.
So, I would like to ask what is the exact procedure to enable AMD hardware acceleration, so I may try to replicate using OCLP. I have a Radeon RX570 8GB card and Videoproc shows both codecs supported when using Martin's package.

Or if there is any other methos, such as the hex editor on the AppleGVA file, please let me know. Thanks to all your hard work on this amazing community.

P.D. Sonoma Radeon driver is unsupported AFAIK due to missing AVX2 instruction on the CPU, so I installed the root patches included in OCLP.
Martin's package is not intended for anything pass Monterey. In my opinion Monterey is currently fastest and most stable option for Mac Pro 5,1 machines.

KnightlyRod

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2023
Martin's package is not intended for anything pass Monterey. In my opinion Monterey is currently fastest and most stable option for Mac Pro 5,1 machines.
Totally agree with you. Sadly Monterey is no longer supported, that's why I tried to get Sonoma working as this computer will mostly be used for creative workloads.

Martin's package is a great solution for most of the common problems and works great out of the box. Monterey is also pretty stable and most drivers work without needing patches and/or requiring AVX/AVX2.

For anyone interested on enabling acceleration on Sonoma, I updated my previous post on how I managed to enable acceleration using the default OCLP package, installation and config.plist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.