Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Its a Samsung 870 500GB. I pulled it out and plugged into a Macbook Pro and it mounted just fine but no visible files on it. Back in Mac Pro (bay 1) and its invisible again.

I tried to install Monterey from the Macbook which is running OCLP (I have no idea how that works) But it failed as well. After well over an hour "installing" it simply booted back to its own startup drive., although the SSD was visible in the Finder and seemed to have nothing on it, nothing visible anyway - space now 449GB so maybe some invisible files.
Argh same drive as I have too, mine are 1gb and 2gb in two different Mac Pro. The same thing happens for mine.

On restart I have to turn off the machine when it shows the boot menu and then turn it back on. Each install process restart needs this and then the install will work. If you don’t turn it off then you’ll get forbidden symbol.

I did that to get 12.7.3 installed now using 0.9.7.

Eventually I will get a different SSD.
ec8ccc149a674d805aac988ab99e368f0.png

Last edited:

John Fu

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2018
Taipei, Taiwan
Argh same drive as I have too, mine are 1gb and 2gb in two different Mac Pro. The same thing happens for mine.

On restart I have to turn off the machine when it shows the boot menu and then turn it back on. Each install process restart needs this and then the install will work. If you don’t turn it off then you’ll get forbidden symbol.

I did that to get 12.7.3 installed now using 0.9.7.

Eventually I will get a different SSD.
Where u get 12.7.3?

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
So, I have installed 12.7.1 on a brand new Western Digital Blue SA510 1TB SSD, 2.5" SATA. The previous Samsung 870 EVO drive is removed.

0.9.7 package is also installed and unfortunately I'm still getting the forbidden symbol when restarting the machine.

I also tried CMD+OPT+P+R three times. This forbidden symbol only occurs on restart, never on cold start up.

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
So, I have installed 12.7.1 on a brand new Western Digital Blue SA510 1TB SSD, 2.5" SATA. The previous Samsung 870 EVO drive is removed.

0.9.7 package is also installed and unfortunately I'm still getting the forbidden symbol when restarting the machine.

I also tried CMD+OPT+P+R three times. This forbidden symbol only occurs on restart, never on cold start up.
Are you certain you only have one instance of OpenCore installed?

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Are you certain you only have one instance of OpenCore installed?
Yes, the only other instance was in the Samsung drive which is physically removed from the Mac Pro.

The package is the standard 0.9.7 in this topic and the WD drive is blessed.

Last edited:

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
Yes, the only other instance was in the Samsung drive which is physically removed from the Mac Pro.

The package is the standard 0.9.7 in this topic and the WD drive is blessed.
Well I'm stumped - perhaps try and rebless your OC install? Not sure why it would work on cold boot and not restart.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Well I'm stumped - perhaps try and rebless your OC install? Not sure why it would work on cold boot and not restart.

I tried that too with the command:

sudo bless --mount /Volumes/EFI --setBoot --file /Volumes/EFI/EFI/BOOT/BOOTx64.efi

Once the EFI had been mounted. I can definitely see Opencore is running. I'm totally lost as to why it would be not working. As long as you cold boot it is perfectly reliable and never crashes.

I don't have enough technical knowledge to attempt manually configured OpenCore.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
I tried that too with the command:

sudo bless --mount /Volumes/EFI --setBoot --file /Volumes/EFI/EFI/BOOT/BOOTx64.efi

Once the EFI had been mounted. I can definitely see Opencore is running. I'm totally lost as to why it would be not working. As long as you cold boot it is perfectly reliable and never crashes.

I don't have enough technical knowledge to attempt manually configured OpenCore.

Have you used my mount from list script to check if you are doing the correct ESP?

DEH

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2021
Updated to 12.7.2, no prblemo.
View attachment 2324514
Hint for those who don't see the updates via Software Update: you have to edit following in the OC config.plis:

<key>Cpuid1Mask</key>
<data>AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==</data>
change data to:
<data>AAAAAAAAAAAAAACAAAAAAA==</data>

And:

<key>UpdateSMBIOS</key>
<true/>
change data to:
<false/>

After this change, reboot and look for the updates again. After successfull update, change config.plis values to previous ones.

A comment and a probably dumb question.

The comment: You can get the Mac OS installers from.

How to download and install macOS​

https://support.apple.com/en-us/102662

Now to the question. I will be upgrading from 12.6.6

If one has the 12.7.2 installer, is there any reason to modify the config.plis for the install?

Thanks

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Have you used my mount from list script to check if you are doing the correct ESP?

Yes I have and it shows that it is blessed. I get the Opencore bootloader appear correctly as well.

Also you can see Opencore is loaded through this:

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro5,1
Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3.46 GHz
Number of Processors: 2
Total Number of Cores: 12
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache (per Processor): 12 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 96 GB
System Firmware Version: 9144.0.9.7.0
OS Loader Version: 540.120.3~37
SMC Version (system): 1.39f11
SMC Version (processor tray): 1.39f11

I did the reset procedure and ran your tool with this:

blessed this mounted bootloader successfully:
1: EFI ⁨EFI⁩ 209.7 MB disk0s1
WD Blue SA510 2.5 1000GB
Bay 2 (SATA)

The mount efi partition tool shows this:

Screen Shot 2024-01-15 at 9.14.46 am.png

quadra605

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2019
Los Angeles
I have Mojave installed & would like to install Martin Lo's OC package so I can upgrade to Monterey, but I can't seem to boot into Recovery Mode to disable SIP. Is there a way I can just disable it from my terminal? Or do I have to be in Recovery Mode? Thanks!

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I have Mojave installed & would like to install Martin Lo's OC package so I can upgrade to Monterey, but I can't seem to boot into Recovery Mode to disable SIP. Is there a way I can just disable it from my terminal? Or do I have to be in Recovery Mode? Thanks!

According to the main manually configured OpenCore topic you can get into Recovery mode this way:

sudo nvram "recovery-boot-mode=unused" && sudo reboot recovery

csrutil disable won't work from the normal Terminal, you must be in recovery mode. You'll get "This tool needs to be executed from the Recovery OS".

Reactions: quadra605

quadra605

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2019
Los Angeles
According to the main manually configured OpenCore topic you can get into Recovery mode this way:

sudo nvram "recovery-boot-mode=unused" && sudo reboot recovery

csrutil disable won't work from the normal Terminal, you must be in recovery mode. You'll get "This tool needs to be executed from the Recovery OS".
Thanks. I just tried that command in the terminal (and double-checked the syntax against the article you referenced just to be sure) but all it did was just a straight reboot my computer.

I was going to do this using my High Sierra HD & old GPU until I realized I no longer have a monitor that can connect to it. Hope I can find a work-around with booting into Recovery another way...

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks. I just tried that command in the terminal (and double-checked the syntax against the article you referenced just to be sure) but all it did was just a straight reboot my computer.

I was going to do this using my High Sierra HD & old GPU until I realized I no longer have a monitor that can connect to it. Hope I can find a work-around with booting into Recovery another way...

OpenCore is having issues with Recovery since at least 0.9.3, it's even on the changelogs. Boot natively a supported macOS Recovery or a createinstallmedia macOS installer.

Reactions: blauesliebe7

quadra605

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2019
Los Angeles
OpenCore is having issues with Recovery since at least 0.9.3, it's even on the changelogs. Boot natively a supported macOS Recovery or a createinstallmedia macOS installer.
Thank you, @tsialex ! I used createinstallmedia to make a usb boot installer & that seemed to do the trick. I do have a question about Martin Lo's OC though: I installed it only on the HD where I installed Monterey (cMP 5,1), yet it seems to affect my main boot drive with Mojave as well: When I'm NOT running Monterey and am booted into my old Mojave HD, the extra HD icons no longer appear as external drives, and the boot picker shows up when I'm using that drive, too. So...OC affects all the hard drives, even though it's only installed on one?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thank you, @tsialex ! I used createinstallmedia to make a usb boot installer & that seemed to do the trick. I do have a question about Martin Lo's OC though: I installed it only on the HD where I installed Monterey (cMP 5,1), yet it seems to affect my main boot drive with Mojave as well: When I'm NOT running Monterey and am booted into my old Mojave HD, the extra HD icons no longer appear as external drives, and the boot picker shows up when I'm using that drive, too. So...OC affects all the hard drives, even though it's only installed on one?

OC/OCLP is probably loading before you can get the native boot picker, or worse, you have multiple disks with OC/OCLP, you need to check each ESP.

quadra605

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2019
Los Angeles
OC/OCLP is probably loading before you can get the native boot picker, or worse, you have multiple disks with OC/OCLP, you need to check each ESP.
Sounds like a good idea. How DO you check a disk to see of OC is installed--and how do you determine the version?

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany

quadra605

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2019
Los Angeles
Mount and inspect each disk ESP, look for the OpenCore files. Version is not relevant, but you can always know the version opening the config.plist.

Keep OC installed to just one disk.
Using Macschrauber's tools it looks like I'm ok -- OC only shows up on one disk :)

esp oc.png

Last edited:

blauesliebe7

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2021
Hey folks, I'm looking to optimize my Mac Pro 5,1 with an AMD Vega 64 GPU. I've already installed OpenCore, pixlas mod, but I'm wondering what steps I should take to maximize performance and stability. Are there any specific framebuffer patches or power management tweaks that you recommend for this hardware combination? Any reliable guides or resources you can point me to would be greatly appreciated. I was using the RX580 and came across a guy who was selling the 56 and 64 for 80 dollars each. I bought them both. Thanks!

expede

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2018
Sweden
-----Solved----

Hello!

I got a problem. I did not approved a update of the system but my Monterey 12.7.2 did that automatically. I did not change config.plist from the last update. So the problem is that Monterey downloaded something and I couldn´t stop the update. So now I have a Installer in my OC Bootscreen (Martins 0.97).

Q: How do I get rid or exit the newly downloaded Mac OS/Update installer? I can´t see it diskutility and I tried to show hidden files with Onyx. I want to unmount it because the system seams to want to boot into the installer all the time. Can not get to recovery either threw OC?

Solution; Ripped all the HD out and reverted back to my Mojave disk and reinstalled OC. Then I reinstalled Monterey.

1. Backed up the files from systemdisk Monterey (NVMe)
2. Took out all my HD and inserted my Mojave HD(Bay1)
3. Did a NVRAMx3
4. Added a HD in the CD (Upper)
5. Terminal and mounted the EFI (Upper HD) and installed OC on it.
6. Went into Mojave recovery-mode and disable SIP just in case
7. Mounted and blessed the EFI and rebooted.
8. Got OC running (this is when I saw the earlier mention update disk.)
9. Shut down and added the NVMe
10. Boot into recovery-mode and erased the NVMe
11. Reboot into Mojave and change the config.plist (AAAAA..., SMBIOS)
12. Reinstalled the Monterey.
13. Terminal and mount the EFI/OC and changed the config.plist to "Non-update" mode.

Experience during the step 8-9 was that I booted back to Mojave the system got very unstable. Froze and then rebooted after 2-3 minutes of use. After I reinserted the old "corrupted" NVMe (with the old OC on it) I figured that you can not have two OC on the same computer.

Best regards

/Doc

Last edited:

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
Last edited:
Reactions: quadra605

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
@Macschrauber Used your Copy ESP tool for the first time. Can you tell me what is that file created? Thanks

Attachments

• Captura de Pantalla 2024-01-21 a las 2.30.17.png
    Captura de Pantalla 2024-01-21 a las 2.30.17.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.